• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

image.jpeg.bf9b66018ce7671f4a18acb7a6e0ex

Ah the versatility of labneh. Toasted home made bread, labneh and home made lime marmalade. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I couldn't face another lettuce salad....or plain cabbage soup this morning and I was HUNGRY.  So, I re-purposed some cabbage soup....added some soy sauce, a few squirts of Sriracha and some of those shiriaki noodles (found some in the cabinet...forgot about them).  

P1121088.JPG.baf67f24d18c28cbc8e3584ae97

• Like 4

@Shelby, that dish looks so nice and warming!  

Roasted cauliflower, RG's Good Mother Stalled beans, greens (a mix of kale and cauliflower leaves) sautéed with garlic and red chili pepper all topped with a poached egg.

IMG_2440.thumb.jpg.9b6fa6ca2fe3a2f230aa5

Plus some kalamata olive bread toast and coffee....mmmmmm!

IMG_2442.thumb.jpg.360d4eeb1a662cd15f8a1

• Like 6

Scrambled eggs with ragù bolognese, steamed broccoli and purple carrot.  Maybe not the most attractive breakfast, but very tasty.

IMG_2443.thumb.jpg.03de953818005373969cb

I had one big spoonful of that yummy Serious Eats pressure cooker ragù bolognese.  Not enough to really sauce anything so I warmed it up in my pan, pushed it aside to scramble a couple of eggs and then spooned it over the top of the eggs.  

• Like 8

image.thumb.jpeg.548c1082eaec7f5c670e8cc

Toasted English muffin with miso butter and a poached egg. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

The last 2 wedges of a little panettone I received over the holidays, revived with some Cuisi-steam, toasted and buttered:

IMG_2451.thumb.jpg.60c533b59a552fd36f499

I might need a second breakfast later as this one is sort of umami-deficient, especially in comparison with Anna N's yummy miso buttered muffin above. 

@Ann_T, thank you for the nice comment about my little breakfasts.  I've been having fun lately using little bits of leftovers.  Your breakfasts are always to die for - both the food and the photographs!

• Like 3

image.thumb.jpeg.3a165260a1469155f2771a5

This was a meal that just kept on giving!  Sweet potatoes, onion, mushroom, orzo  with soy sauce and balsamic vinegar topped with a poached egg and some Japanese togarashi pepper blend. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm not sure why, but the local supermarkets have taken to selling avocados at half the normal price. They have always been rather expensive here, but half price is perfectly affordable. So, I ain't complaining.

Breakfast this morning was this bacon and avocado baguette sandwich.

569b023a4cc88_BaconandAvocadoSandwich.jp

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@ LAX

No more McD's at LAX so no egg McMuffin for me :|

But you do have some Peet's coffee! That's my husband's favorite, It's just about the only brand of coffee he drinks at home now.  

Edited to add: I think that makes him a "Peetnik", ha. :)

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.0d7409260e0dfd6c9194daa

Poached eggs on toasted homemade bread. Still my favourite breakfast.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow  KS

Lucky me   Im a bit North :

a few days ago :

10 - 12

then  

8 - 9

now

1 - 3 

I know a lot about snow.  I did not grow up in BOS area

but I sure do appreciate Blizzards !

so  :  Ill make some raisin bread in the Bread Machine

( never done before   :blink: )

I do have apples   and some Killer Edwards Sausages.

thanks for reminding me of French Toast.

I do have a gallon of Maple Syrup.   its " D "

Ive haven'e opened it.

its the last Ill ever see.

Edited by rotuts (log)

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Wow  KS

Lucky me   Im a bit North :

a few days ago :

10 - 12

then  

8 - 9

now

1 - 3 

I know a lot about snow.  I did not grow up in BOS area

but I sure do appreciate Blizzards !

so  :  Ill make some raisin bread in the Bread Machine

( never done before   :blink: )

I do have apples   and some Killer Edwards Sausages.

thanks for reminding me of French Toast.

I do have a gallon of Maple Syrup.   its " D "

Ive haven'e opened it.

its the last Ill ever see.

Sounds wonderful!  Did you hear about the horrible Edwards fire?  Might be the last Edwards sausage you'll see too, unfortunately.

Blizzard breakfast, day II.  Thanks to Mr. Kim’s chicken keeping friend at work we started with these:

DSCN1202.JPG.0efdf50a4776f5ff72d16ec1a95

DSCN1205.JPG.524b59927f2ed71c5fd82f28350

Scrambled eggs and leftovers from yesterday:

DSCN1204.JPG.46f3339b7ff22154f7d7a757377

I did fry a little bacon because it was in the meat drawer and to augment the sausage.  The French toast heated up just fine in the toaster.  Hope I don’t get used to this breakfast thing.  I’ve lost 25 pounds in the last couple of months and part of my plan is staying too busy to eat breakfast.  Breakfast tends to start my engines in the morning.  If I eat breakfast, I want to eat non-stop for the rest of the day.  The longer I put off eating, the flatter my appetite. 

• Like 7