• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

image.jpeg.d63b1df5babdf5d869c26f4a68189

Bacon and egg fried rice.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Love the idea of the twice baked potato with the egg and I'm also totally in love with your plate.  

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The leftovers continue.  Twice-baked potato with ham, cheese and egg:

IMG_2381.jpg

Fruit in the side.

blue_dolphin,

Great looking breakfast! I love your creativity with your leftovers. As a small household, we eat many leftovers, which I try to resurrect into new and interesting dishes, but I think I would get boring fast if I posted every dinner to the Dinner thread/topic. We don't waste food around my house. I might rethink that when I come up with a successful use for leftovers. Others may appreciate ideas to use their own.

I didn't know that there was a name for your egg/potato dish until recently, but that is an Idaho Sunrise.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpeg.7a50f04a338bab160a6c3ee77db65

Breakfast blt with a fried egg. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

Love the idea of the twice baked potato with the egg and I'm also totally in love with your plate.  

The potato makes a nice container for a runny yolk!  Those plates were a gift from a friend and I love them too - they are a nice small size and look like a party!  

8 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I didn't know that there was a name for your egg/potato dish until recently, but that is an Idaho Sunrise.

I didn't know that either, but I like the name!

Today was a modified repeat, using the other half of the potato.  Today, I mixed the potato guts with some sautéed spinach/mushroom/onion leftover from the quiche, plus a little cheese and ham.

IMG_2384.JPG

Also, something very unusual in these parts is going on outside the window - it's raining!

• Like 5

I honestly think that this is my favorite thread.  Some amazing meals/snacks/drinks here – I’ve worn my ‘like’ finger out!

Christmas morning breakfast – my MIL’s Candy Cane pastry:

DSCN0923.thumb.JPG.fc52462c23aa4e843752d

Bagels and cream cheese:

DSCN0924.JPG.51090e8a1a1b5975ac164b6a58d

Fruit salad:

DSCN0925.JPG.c72328cc994cd6bb90e5a144038

Sausage rolls:

DSCN0927.JPG.0b9dbc4b556e8ac2522fc0cd517

My mom made quiche:

DSCN0929.JPG.0c3ccc8a5805741817202cb8136

We did not realize until later that day that I completely forgot to make the traditional and obligatory Pillsbury orange Danish ‘tree’.  Since I was so sick, the family decided to forgive me this year.:D

• Like 13

image.thumb.jpg.7dea2999dbfa8186769eadaa

sweet potato hash topped with a fried egg. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

pretty much elvis Presley's favorite sandwich :

http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/elvis-presleys-grilled-peanut-butter-and-banana-sandwich

they are pretty good !

There is a food truck in Nashville that makes a peanut butter-banana jam and Benton's bacon sandwich. I am counting the days until I can get to Nashville, hunt down said truck, and try it. They even use my kids' artisan peanut butter (shameless promotion of family product here: www.nutbutternation.com). It did convince me to try my hand at making banana jam, which isn't half bad.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My dad used to make peanut butter and bacon sandwiches on toast.  He said his mother taught him to put butter on the toast, under the peanut butter, "so it doesn't get stuck going down!" :D:D:D.  I bet that sandwich with the artisan PB and Benton's bacon would be superb!  

I did think of your banana jam, @kayb, when I looked at my bananas this AM but I decided they were still OK for open-face use.  I think I'd need to cover up that banana jam with another piece of bread as I don't think the color would be all that appealing!

• Like 2

nice, BD

Im interested in the bread you used.

did it come from TJ's ?

I ask because I get a similar looking bread from Tj's, a sourdough but Im sure its a local only item.

its a When-Pigs-Fly bread

http://www.sendbread.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=15

rebranded and Fz for TJ's.  its stocked at night Fz and by the time you get there to buy it its thawed.

it about 1/3 less than the same bread at a regular store and and is identical.

I wondering if Tj's does the same thing w local bakeries in CA

That sounds like some great bread!  What I used is indeed sourdough but I can't remember whether I got it from TJ's or my local Sprouts which has recently improved their bread offerings.  I know TJ's partners with local bakeries here, too, and they seem to have made some recent changes as well. I slice and store it in a ziplock in the freezer so I don't have the original packaging to check.  

But the Cuisi steam oven makes such great toast - it's the star of the show!  When starting from frozen, I like to give it 2-3 min on steam bake to get it all evenly thawed out and then switch to toasting.  Perfect!

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.be359657338812ffb692d4b

Inspired by something posted on either the breakfast or perhaps the lunch topic.  My interpretation of chili toast.   Scallions, jalapeño, tomatoes and shredded cheddar cheese on toasted rye.  Finally dusted with smoked paprika.  I am awake now with taste buds tingling. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.b14d6145f7ce278404bee26

Toasted light rye topped with labneh and drizzled with pomegranate molasses. A few dried apricots on the side. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

That combination of Middle Eastern flavors is appealing to me, @Anna N!

Sharp cheddar melted on toasted whole wheat bread and topped with some of the warm apple and onion relish leftover from a recent pork chop.

IMG_2428.thumb.jpg.e4a4e3ce7446cab74a8d7

I was going to do this as a grilled cheese sandwich but was too lazy to get out the pan!

• Like 6

@blue_dolphin

Mmmmm.  I know what will be for one breakfast this week.   There is some excellent Cheddar in my refrigerator and some onion jam.  For the most part Middle Eastern is not a cuisine that appeals to me but I am learning that there are certain elements of it that I quite enjoy.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:32 PM, blue_dolphin said:

My dad used to make peanut butter and bacon sandwiches on toast.  He said his mother taught him to put butter on the toast, under the peanut butter, "so it doesn't get stuck going down!" :D:D:D.  I bet that sandwich with the artisan PB and Benton's bacon would be superb!  

I love a peanut butter and bacon sandwich on toast! I've never tried putting butter underneath the peanut butter, I'll certainly try it the next time I make them although I really don't see how to make much of a difference. I've actually tried them with artisan PB and Benton's and actually didn't like that combination as well as plain old Peter Pan crunchy combined with some Hormel Thick Sliced. I guess the good old tried-and-true is the best sometimes.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

17 minutes ago, MSRadell said:

I guess the good old tried-and-true is the best sometimes.

Yes, that's often the case.  A local sandwich chain, Mendocino Farms,  is offering a special in honor of the King's birthday last week: "Housemade peanut butter with applewood smoked bacon, caramelized bananas, honey roasted almonds, and green apples on panini pressed ciabatta."

It's on the menu thru the 15th and I'm tempted to give it a try but I suspect I'd prefer my own version.   

• Like 1