• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

Mushroom Omelette (using fresh shiitake mushrooms).

so.jpg

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Okanagancook, try doing those zucchini fritters with cracker crumbs (my fam prefers plain Saltine crackers for the crumbs) with eggs and a splash of milk.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

That sounds good.  I also like the idea of whipping the egg white and folding into the mix.  I am getting around 5 mini zucs a day so loads of ammunition to play around with.....that's what I get for planting five zuc plants.  The minis are only 6 inches long and they are nice a sweet but the are accumulating. :wacko:

• Like 1

Breakfast :

TurkeyD 1.jpg

and heated up sur-le-plate

TurkeyD 2.jpg

7:00 am

Ive been up for a while, the Yoder rolled in from N.H. yest. and I had an interesting chat w the two people that got it to my deck.

I call this new syndrome   " Yoder Buzzzz "   ( its a pellet BBQ/smoker BTW )

that will be a different discussion.  So after so many double espresso's, I went to McD's for a couple of SausageEggMcMuffins

they open at 5:30.  at 5:35 they had no food.  coffee and hash browns only  for a good while. This was for research purposes.

i.e. Eggs/etc

I had no 'food' in the house.  I do like decent tomatoes, and the Bibb from the farmer's market is top notch now  ...

so I went to RocheBro as they sometimes have their own version, which is 3.7 x better.  Nada.  Im starving now  ...

so I got the turkey dinner.  it was huge.  N.B.: the turkey slices are thick, and tasted like home-made.  the mashed potatoes 

and squash likewise.  little chunky bits in them, if you know what I mean. the cranberry sauce had chunks of cranberries in it also.

I added the butter and nuked away.  the stuffing was good, it did have celery in it (  :blink: )  but very tiny pieces.  I was able to

pretend they were not in there.  gravy was OK, but im pretty much a Gravy Snob, credentialed.

this was a ton of food and hit the spot.  sometimes you need 'food' that sticks to your ribs.

Meat, mashed potatoes, squash, stuffing and gravy.  that's what  you need.  this did the job handsomely.

it wasn't even salty, I added my own table salt, which is not sodium.  I was surprised. everything from the grocery store that

is 'made' generally seems to have a weeks worth of sodium in every bite.

I set for a week at least.  Yum !

Id like to report I could only eat 1/2 of the plate.  which is a lot.  but I polished it all off !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

Someoneone on the dinner thread recently -- was it you? -- posted some baby zucchini, blossoms still attached, the entire thing battered and fried. It was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen. I'm going to plant zucchini next year just to be able to try that.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

Breakfast :

attachicon.gifTurkeyD 1.jpg

and heated up sur-le-plate

attachicon.gifTurkeyD 2.jpg

7:00 am

Ive been up for a while, the Yoder rolled in from N.H. yest. and I had an interesting chat w the two people that got it to my deck.

I call this new syndrome   " Yoder Buzzzz "   ( its a pellet BBQ/smoker BTW )

that will be a different discussion.  So after so many double espresso's, I went to McD's for a couple of SausageEggMcMuffins

they open at 5:30.  at 5:35 they had no food.  coffee and hash browns only  for a good while. This was for research purposes.

i.e. Eggs/etc

I had no 'food' in the house.  I do like decent tomatoes, and the Bibb from the farmer's market is top notch now  ...

so I went to RocheBro as they sometimes have their own version, which is 3.7 x better.  Nada.  Im starving now  ...

so I got the turkey dinner.  it was huge.  N.B.: the turkey slices are thick, and tasted like home-made.  the mashed potatoes 

and squash likewise.  little chunky bits in them, if you know what I mean. the cranberry sauce had chunks of cranberries in it also.

I added the butter and nuked away.  the stuffing was good, it did have celery in it (  :blink: )  but very tiny pieces.  I was able to

pretend they were not in there.  gravy was OK, but im pretty much a Gravy Snob, credentialed.

this was a ton of food and hit the spot.  sometimes you need 'food' that sticks to your ribs.

Meat, mashed potatoes, squash, stuffing and gravy.  that's what  you need.  this did the job handsomely.

it wasn't even salty, I added my own table salt, which is not sodium.  I was surprised. everything from the grocery store that

is 'made' generally seems to have a weeks worth of sodium in every bite.

I set for a week at least.  Yum !

Id like to report I could only eat 1/2 of the plate.  which is a lot.  but I polished it all off !

Oh rotuts! All would have been well except for that turkey. Just saying.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

they had meatloaf, but it wouldn't have been as good as mine.

this was as good as my Really HomeMade turkey dinner

well, OK  my stuffing is better as is my gravy.

but i understand.

• Like 2

Someoneone on the dinner thread recently -- was it you? -- posted some baby zucchini, blossoms still attached, the entire thing battered and fried. It was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen. I'm going to plant zucchini next year just to be able to try that.

I believe that was Huiray.

• Like 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

they had meatloaf, but it wouldn't have been as good as mine.

this was as good as my Really HomeMade turkey dinner

well, OK  my stuffing is better as is my gravy.

but i understand.

image.jpg

Sous vide sirloin steak. So much tastier than turkey.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

SVS does indeed look tasty  

I didn't feel like going to all the trouble for a 'complete' sandwich.   Id have to scrounge up some of those fresh baked onion rolls etc.

and besides, my "Turkey Dinner" seemed to have two scoops of everything and a ton of meat.

they had a few trays that were smaller but priced the same.  these were 'one scoopers'

no idea why.  I couldn't pass up the deal.  it was surprisingly good.

no dinner tonight.  the Yoder has to wait until tomorrow.

Edited by rotuts (log)

creamed tomatoes.JPG

Took a page from Anna's book and tried my hand at creamed tomatoes. Used the recipe link she posted, but when it came time to grate cheese to sprinkle on top,I thought, well, a cheese sauce would be nice. And the cream sauce became a cheese sauce.

Two things I'd do differently. I'd pre-roast my tomatoes; a matter of personal preference, I like mine more done. And I'd cut the bread really thin, and toast it darker, to play up the crunchy element.

But the taste was excellent, particularly when accompanied by sausage, scrambled egg and a blueberry muffin.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

Kayb :  looks superb.  everything important is there !

tomatoes go very well w eggs, I think.

Im going to have to try this.

Ill use a traditional white sauce.  white pepper

Ill call it 'Chipped Tomatoes'

thanks for the ideas.

Kayb :  looks superb.  everything important is there !

tomatoes go very well w eggs, I think.

Im going to have to try this.

Ill use a traditional white sauce.  white pepper

Ill call it 'Chipped Tomatoes'

thanks for the ideas.

I am always impressed when ideas are borrowed, built upon, reinterpreted and so on and so forth. Seems to me to embody the true spirit of eG.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Back at Wellfleet.  I made a veggie scramble with tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach for everyone. Much tastier than my usual workday breakfast of greek yogurt and fruit or a green smoothie.  There was bacon too but my doctor says no bacon for me for the moment.  My niece ate my share and hers also.

veggie scramble.jpg

• Like 1

BTW  I went back to RocheBro today for WhoKnowsWhat  and took another peek in their prepared foods dan la Plastique and indeed

the smaller Turkey Dinner  ( one scoop we will call it w 2 tranche of Turkey ) was at the same price as the Two Scoop w three tranche.

Puzzled I was, so I ask some one and the Cooked Food manager happen to walk by and I asked him

he was very apologetic as the smaller one was mislabeled at the larger  " Big-Boy ( or girls ) " price.

he offered immediately to refund my money if I bought the Small Boy at the BB price.

I said no, I was just curious

( curiosity is good , it did kill the cat, but the cat had 9 lives )

I did complement him of the quality of the Turkey, Mashed Pots and Squash.  I did not mention the gravy might has used a little bit of garlic.  I told him I liked the

stuffing and was glad the celery was so fine I could pretend to ignore it.

BTW  I still " remember " yest. " breakfast, but in a good way. sort of ...

went to an other store to get some Ck. for the Yoder, for today,  

I was so full, I waddled into the store and could barely look at the food.

He Beamed and thanks me.  he was quite pleased.  of course, I can't pass off my HomeReallyMade Turkey Dinner to " The Masses "

So I didn't suggest a little sausage and no celery in the stuffing would be good.

I did mention this was as Good as Mine.  little fibs are OK

I also mentioned the little bits of both potato and squash were nice.  Home - ey.

Meatloaf did not come up.

cheers 

( if you really like something at a Hard Working Place, find the time to let them  know   Why not ? )

went to an other store that same morning to get some Chicks . for the Yoder, for today,  

I was so full, I waddled into the store and could barely look at the food.

I did get two 'Manager's Special'  BigBoy chickens for the Yoder.  they offered to sell me more as I asked about them

( they 'expire' today )   it would have been a swell move, but I barely to carry those two Chicks out.

BTW  : $ 0.75 / lbs

:raz:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

image.jpg

Planned over mini potatoes quickly sautéed and topped with the last smidgen of blue cheese.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

nice idea.  nice.

i thought i saw some pear in there which gave me an idea :  should I ever be able to get here some pears that will ripen on the counter

I'ii take a few of those and sauté/or grill   and make a pile with some B.C.

Ill also do a a few fingerlings the same way and add some B.C. and eat them side by side.

have no idea if those three things to get would work.

so two sets at the same time.  don't want the B.C, to get offended.

Yoder smoked chicken sandwich   ( the yoder is my new pellet smoker/BBQ  more on that later )

mise :

Brk Tuk 1.jpg

w my favorite still-warm onion roll from MarketBasket  6:30 am batch

sandwich

Br Turk 2.jpg

the turkey was a bit dry, and Ill address that in the Yoder topic

nothing that a little mayo/horseradish could not fix/hind

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

Respecting the butter bean.

A butter bean burger on baby kale with a fried egg

Made a batch of Vivian Howard's butter bean burgers the other day. Really enjoyed it and figured it would make a good base for a fried egg for breakfast. Didn't disappoint

4359938db521293f2ef2acc142c2387e.jpg

• Like 5

Planned over mini potatoes quickly sautéed and topped with the last smidgen of blue cheese.

Ha, I love the term 'planned-over!' Like leftovers, only intentionally? 

I did the same with some potatoes from last night's dinner. 

Basted eggs on whole wheat toast, bacon, potatoes, watermelon. This was my husband's plate. I had the same, but less. I don't usually do much cooking for breakfast, so this was a bit of a weekend treat. 

IMGP4517.JPG

• Like 5

Beautiful breakfasts, everyone.

Okanagancook, and anyone else who is blessed with a bounty of zucchini and looking for a way to use a bunch of them in a delicious way,

Try slicing them lengthwise about 1/4 inch thick, tossing them in just plain AP flour in a recycled produce bag, shaking, wiping off excess flour, and frying them in a skillet with 1/4" hot vegetable oil over medium heat for 5 or 6 minutes per side over medium heat.

We love summer zucchini like this. When you take them out of the oil, drain and blot both sides with several thicknesses of cheap paper towels. Then sprinkle with kosher salt while still hot and serve.

We can both eat about a pound of these apiece (raw weight, they'll dehydrate) as a first course, with a small protein second course. An egg or two would be the perfect breakfast second course with it. I always serve fried zukes as a first course, because they need to be served piping hot to be at their best. 

I tried Marcella Hazan's batter fried zukes one time, and neither one of us liked them as much as my simple prep, although, like every Marcella recipe I ever tried, it was still very good.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <