• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falling Back on Island Time

Anna N

You really are arousing all my childhood memories lately - and hot gingerbread cake from the oven is one of the best of them. I too can almost smell it.

With applesauce.  Don't forget the applesauce.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Breakfast was just cheddar cheese on toast and a cup of coffee.

When I finally got around to lunch I made some Vietnamese-inspired summer rolls:

image.jpg

Pork chop left over from last night, some celery sticks, some cucumber sticks and some kimchi cream. The dipping sauce was soy and black vinegar. Since lunch was so late I may have dessert for dinner. I'm thinking one of the cookies that Kerry made this afternoon along with a small bowl of ice cream.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So Kerry is the one who has worked almost the whole day in Emerg yet made me a Negroni when she came home to lift my spirits (nothing much ... just a blip in the cycle of life). And she can' t even enjoy one with me since she is still on call. Now that is a good friend.

image.jpg

• Like 22

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Well it's packing day. Time to put away all our toys until next summer. Kerry has gone to sign off at the hospital while I enjoy a final breakfast in the condo:

image.jpg

Leftover salmon salad with cukes on toast.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you, Kerry and Anna, for once again sharing your culinary and other adventures on Manitoulin Island. I hope the packing up is not too onerous this time. Have a safe trip home.

And, by the way, I love your breakfast chronicles, Anna. That salmon/cucumber on toast looks delicious.

I enjoy it all, but along with Deryn, I like the breakfast chronicles which remind me that breakfast doesn't have to be cereal or bacon and eggs.  ...although I've yet to try any of the tomato/cheese/meat combos.  :hmmm:

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Just curious...have you (both) had any other instances of mismatched chopsticks recently? :-)

P.s. Thanks for the running commentary on your expeditions and food adventures and food experiments.  Although I note that you both do an extraordinary amount of baking, by my standards - I barely use my oven, as it is..."baking" is simply not part of the routine E/SE Asian home cooking scenario.  It just isn't.  For that matter I can't remember the last time I used my oven for cooking something as distinct from rewarming something, and even for that I *think* it was for re-crisping some crullers.  Even nowadays in modern times a full-fledged oven in the Western sense is RARE in Japanese and Chinese households, even if they are beginning to appear as kitchen fixtures in modern homes/apartments but often as a "status symbol" rather than as an essential piece of kitchen equipment.  Baked goods are bought from the local commercial concern where they do the baking/oven stuff.  There are any number of stories/blogs about folks relocating from some USA or Western European place to Japan or China and being flabbergasted that there WASN'T a full-fledged oven in the kitchens they found themselves in, and in despair about how they were ever going to cook anything at all - which was in turn a reflection on how dependent Western cuisine was on an oven.

Edited by huiray (log)

Just curious...have you (both) had any other instances of mismatched chopsticks recently? :-)

Nope - went back to that same place for lunch - and both got matched chopsticks.  

Safe travels. Since the ferry is done for the season, I guess this will be a little longer drive than the trip up was?

Yup - long way around - takes about the same in time - but no break to read!

Safe travels. Since the ferry is done for the season, I guess this will be a little longer drive than the trip up was?

Distance is longer, time is about the same.

My 2004 eG Blog

Steam Boy going back with you?

Nope. Still hasn't earned precious real estate in either of our kitchens.

My 2004 eG Blog

We ought to be packing but Kerry has become distracted and is making a barrel aged cocktail for when we return in the summer. When we leave we must pack and lock up our liquor cabinet and this presents a challenge when we arrive exhausted and ready for a cocktail. So we are putting together a first aid kit for cocktailians.

image.jpg

Edited to add photo.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I can't believe how quickly the time has passed for this trip!  Thank you both for your excellent photos and descriptions, and inspirations for the rest of us to try new dishes.

...Frost on the windshield, indeed.  Our deck had ice on it this morning. :hmmm:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

We are taking a break from packing to enjoy one of these

image.jpg

No formality to meals today. Catch as catch can. Kinda wish we could order in!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

:sad:   Noooooooooooooo, don't gooooooooooo.

I hope you have a safe trip home.  

I'll see you guys on the lunch thread :)

Ditto on Shelby's sad cry... But, I saw the frost on your car. None for me thank you.

We ought to be packing but Kerry has become distracted and is making a barrel aged cocktail for when we return in the summer. When we leave we must pack and lock up our liquor cabinet and this presents a challenge when we arrive exhausted and ready for a cocktail. So we are putting together a first aid kit for cocktalians.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Edited to add photo.

I hope the first aid kit is going just inside the door of your secured culinary bunker so either of you can get "Two cocktails.STAT!!".

Thank you for sharing your island time with us. It is always a special thread to me.

I seldom say anything, but really enjoy the Manitoulin visits. Always there in spirit and feel a bit empty when they're over. That "end of vacation" feeling, though I'm sitting at home. :smile:  :sad:  :huh:

• Like 4