• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

Chris,  I enjoyed reading your post.  Your dinner certainly looks delicious.   Never thought of serving canned peas with a beautiful piece of beef, but I always serve them  with hot sandwiches.  Along with fries. 

Pork%20Chile%20Verde%20May%2023rd%2C%202

Pork Chile Verde - last night's dinner. 

Cooked yesterday morning before leaving for work.  All that was left to do was make the sides when I got home.  Homemade flour tortillas, refried black beans, salsa and guacamole. And Sangria!!

• Like 8

We got this lovely piece of yellowfin from our fishmonger yesterday:

7d261dc8-690c-4371-851d-7894722e5c92.jpg

It was the focus of dinner. We started with some thin slices with avocado, dressed with a mixture of soy, homemade rice wine, ginger and wasabi:

efd68e8e-9ff6-4337-b94a-eed9462036ce.jpg

followed by some nigiri:

48c6ac74-109a-4ea9-ac1a-a79631796b02.jpg

and a tuna and avocado roll:

657ef9df-42dd-43c9-b9d3-084a5a6cbdbc.jpg

• Like 7

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

Mgaretz – I wish I can find tri-tip in NY. Yours look perfect.

Thanks.  According to WikiPedia, it's a cut from the bottom sirloin and the Florence Meat Market in NY popularized steaks cut from the tri-tip as Newport Steaks.  If you see those, maybe the butcher can leave one whole for you. It also goes by bottom sirloin butt and triangle roast.  Check out this link for more info: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Thanks.  According to WikiPedia, it's a cut from the bottom sirloin and the Florence Meat Market in NY popularized steaks cut from the tri-tip as Newport Steaks.  If you see those, maybe the butcher can leave one whole for you. It also goes by bottom sirloin butt and triangle roast.  Check out this link for more info: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html

Hmm.  When I go to my butcher and ask for PICANHA the nearest equivalent is TOP SIRLOIN CAP.  The folks at the butchers also refer to it as  TRI-TIP.  They are not "surpermarket" butcher folks, they are butcher-butcher folks.  It will be cut for me off the top of the slab of sirloin that they haul from the cold room, and will have the heavy thick layer of fat on the top that is characteristic of the cut, which is not commonly used/asked for in Anglo-Saxon cookery, and have the triangular shape that appears to give rise to the name. 

Unless the cutter is very familiar with the cut, I will also sometimes have to stop them from cutting off the top fat layer, specifying that only the slightest trimming should be done.  It is possible that a similar-looking cut will have been denuded of all that fat cap layer in the US in some places, in pursuit of the (mistaken) belief that any such fat is bad, bad, bad for you.

Thank you. I was curious because the only corn fritters I have made are these

http://www.netplaces.com/indian-food/starters-and-snacks-shurat/corn-fritters-maki-ke-pakore.htm

And I loved them. But of course they are very different from Ottoleghi's.

Those look good and I bet they would be wonderful with this butter:

2 sticks butter, softened

4 piquillo peppers, dryed

4 cloves garlic, chopped

2 teaspoon fresh thyme

1 teaspoon smoked paprika, I used hot

1 teaspoon salt or to taste

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Put everything in the food processor and whip until smooth

I love this stuff.

Hmm.  When I go to my butcher and ask for PICANHA the nearest equivalent is TOP SIRLOIN CAP.  The folks at the butchers also refer to it as  TRI-TIP.  They are not "surpermarket" butcher folks, they are butcher-butcher folks.  It will be cut for me off the top of the slab of sirloin that they haul from the cold room, and will have the heavy thick layer of fat on the top that is characteristic of the cut, which is not commonly used/asked for in Anglo-Saxon cookery, and have the triangular shape that appears to give rise to the name. 

Unless the cutter is very familiar with the cut, I will also sometimes have to stop them from cutting off the top fat layer, specifying that only the slightest trimming should be done.  It is possible that a similar-looking cut will have been denuded of all that fat cap layer in the US in some places, in pursuit of the (mistaken) belief that any such fat is bad, bad, bad for you.

That is definitely not the same as the tri-tip we get here in California.  The sirloin cap is NAMP 184D, while the tri-tip is NAMP 185D.  Here is info on 184: http://boboros.com/meatfaqs/meatfaqs-048-sirling-cap.htm and 185: http://boboros.com/meatfaqs/meatfaqs-028-tri-tip.htm

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Im from CA originally, but moved back to N.E.

every time I went back home, much Raving on Tri-Tips on the grill.  these were charcoal BBQ's so old they were getting 

S.S. benefits.   they had a central 'pole' that you could rase and lower.  the circular grill thus rotated from this central pivot.

I grew up this this contraption.   no cover/weber like rotating 'door'  you know what I mean

they did have a semi-circular domed addition, that covered 1/2 the circular grill space :

this was for the electric 'rotisserie' you placed there and BBQ a couple of chickens.

that being said, Tri-Tip is very california.   that cut im told back then was consistently shipped to CA for Tri-Tip on the grill

to me  :  OK  its BBQ  its outside   but  Sirloin Tips  ( whole cut )  tastes better to me.

now  in CA :  Good Weather  ( no humidity, no mosquitos ... ) Outdoors  Smells from the Grill  Tidbitts to taste, a nice wine 

well at that point it really did not matter that much what was On the Plate  OK it mattered a bit ..

Every Thing Tastes Better Outside  w your family and your friends.

a bit of Wine helps smooth that over 

just saying ....

but true Tri-Tips is very CA,

you can look it up in Sunset  ( Menlo Park, CA )  circa  1960 - present Era.

• Like 1

This talk of Tri-tip is topical since I will be grilling some steaks cut from tri-tip later this evening.   The place I buy it from here  doesn't t usually sell it as a whole piece unless you specifically call and order it. They cut it into  somewhat ugly rectangular  steaks and sell it under the name Steak Tails.  ( presumably because it is from the tail end of the bottom sirloin)

http://www.canadabeef.ca/ca/en/beef_export/products/loin.aspx

The pictures and descriptions in the previous link explain the difference between  184d Beef Loin, Top Sirloin Cap (Bottom Butt)  and 185c Beef Loin, Bottom Sirloin Butt Tri-Tip Boneless   both have a triangular shape  but  top sirloin cap aka culotte muscle is the biceps femoris, and the trip tip aka bottom sirloin butt is the tensor fasciae latae

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Thank you Anna, next time I'll try the recipe for corn fritters you linked.

We had some swordfish, I cannot even recall how many years I've not been eating it.

image.jpg

Then we had the time for our favorite pastime food:crabs.

image.jpg

Eaten Shanghainese style, steamed an dipped in vinegar, a LOT of sugar and ginger

image.jpg

• Like 5

Kari Kapitan.

Based on the recipe in "Nonya Flavours: A complete guide to Penang Straits Chinese Cuisine".

Eaten w/ white rice, of course!

DSCN1614a_800.jpg

On the way there (some of the stuff):

DSCN1607a_400.jpgDSCN1608a_400.jpg

• Like 3

image.jpg

Buttered broccoli topped with some roasted salmon.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Had our first SPRING Big Easy Chicken tonight - no snow - no need for the parka :rolleyes:

Big Easy KaffirLimeChicken1266.jpg

Can someone tell me the word for the lovely brown bits with the drippings? It made fabulous gravy!

BigEasyChickenDrippings1267.jpg

Eaten with stir-fried bok choy and steamed carrots.

BigEasyChicken&Gravy1269.jpg

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com