• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

Fedelini with chanterelles.

Unsalted butter, EV olive oil [Alziari]; chanterelles, sauté; sea salt & ground black pepper; chopped parsley; al dente fedelini; toss.  Plate, garnish w/ parsley.

DSCN2056b_800.jpg

• Like 3

Kim-  I use this recipe for the pork lettuce wraps http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/thai-ground-pork-salad  I add some sautéed shiitake mushrooms to it, too.  LOL that was more of the tobiko that was also on the deviled eggs.  

20140708_175519_zpsb8eaaace.jpg

Todays dinner pastitso, I ended up using a friends  grandmother´s recipe. It turned out really yummy. 

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

two recent dinners, factoring in the Heat:

Din 1.jpg

this is a fresh onion bun, cut in 1/2 w tomato, onion etc and topped w some sliced SV stuffed

Ck.Breast, which i mentioned way back in the SV thread.   I have a lot of these in the freezer. 

stuffing is Swiss Cheese, mortadella, salami.  SV'd  145 4 hours, chilled and frozen.

the potato salad is from pre-grilled new potatoes, and the mayo has a couple of SV yolks mixed in

I torched it for fun:  the PS liked it a lot.

A similar dinner :

Din 2.jpg

this has some of that same SV stuffed chicken breast, but toasted chopped fresh home made

(machine) bread, ( Baked outside ! ) tomatoes, greek dressing.

same potato salad.  I make the PS 'fresh' each time, but the potatoes are grilled in bulk, cooled and refrigerated.

Remember, its hot here.  both dinners were delicious, cool, and suited me fine.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

20140709_173635_zps8cee5046.jpg

Pork Vindaloo,   normally I have salmon on this day and  curries on Saturday but the fishmonger has changed the days he is on the market and I prefer my fish from this guy and no one else. Yes I am picky.  So curries on Wednesdays and  salmon on Saturdays, until  August  not sure until  if it is  early or mid yet.

• Like 4

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Meatloaf tonight - made on the pellet grill.  Served with baked potato, also cooked on the grill.

What do you like to put in your meatloaf? Is that carrot I see? Or red pepper? 

I like to add grated onion (always), maybe some grated carrot or some chopped spinach or beet greens. Maybe grated apple if I use a bit more ground pork in the meat mix than usual. 

What do you like to put in your meatloaf? Is that carrot I see? Or red pepper? 

I like to add grated onion (always), maybe some grated carrot or some chopped spinach or beet greens. Maybe grated apple if I use a bit more ground pork in the meat mix than usual. 

For 2 lbs of ground beef I use one medium carrot, one medium celery rib and one medium onion - all fine dice. They are sauteed before getting mixed in with the beef.  1 clove of garlic in the saute for the last minute or so. For a filler I use rolled oats - 1 cup.  Rest of the ingredients: 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of water, about a tbs of tomato paste, a tbs of soy sauce, 1/2 tsp of gelatin (bloomed on the egg/water mix), some salt and pepper and about 1 tsp of thyme.  The glaze is about a 1/2 cup of ketchup with 8 tsp of sugar and a dollop of dark molasses,  Cook at 375F to an IT of 135F then baste on half the glaze, broil for about 7 minutes, baste again and broil for another 7 minutes or so.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

14594929466_cb6cb55186_z.jpg

Spaghetti with cauliflower, anchovy and raisins; not so strange -- it's a Sicilian-style prep, similar to pasta con le sarde.

Been feeling somewhat uninspired since this past weekend. Tomorrow and Friday are clean-out-the-crisper nights, and it'll be good to take my mind off of B for a little while, at least.

• Like 2

Soba , make  alot of Swedish meatballs and freeze in then you have a yummy quick meal when you want it.

Oh have you tried  Fish balls?   Pikeballs are one of my favorite things and they are easy to make and can be made with other  types of fish then pike.  It just   fresh fish, potatoes, dill, egg and seasoning, rolled into a balls,   coated with flour, egg and bread crumbs and then either fried in a lot of butter or deep fried.  yum.

Oh have you tried  Fish balls?   Pikeballs are one of my favorite things and they are easy to make and can be made with other  types of fish then pike.  It just   fresh fish, potatoes, dill, egg and seasoning, rolled into a balls,   coated with flour, egg and bread crumbs and then either fried in a lot of butter or deep fried.  yum.

I do like fish balls, but the ones I'm familiar with are Chinese. They're not fried either (or more precisely, the ones I'm thinking of aren't typically fried, but are eaten in soup).

The type of food I usually cook doesn't involve meat or fish most of the time, and when they do, they're usually not the focus of the meal. :smile:

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Pike balls are one of these left over foods from my childhood, my grandfather used the leftover bits of fish  to make these and  if we had them in summer, we had  a huge salad with them and steamed vegs.  I be making them on Saturday. I take picture  then.

• Short-cut pork spare ribs steamed w/ a kind of salted "turnip", a riff on a dish called 荷塘沖菜蒸排骨.  Note to self: leave out the leaves/leafy stems next time.  Plentiful garlic plus some other seasonings also went in.

• Yu choy sum stir-fried w/ garlic & ginger; quenched w/ a mixture of oyster sauce, ryori-shu, jozo mirin, black sesame oil, ground white pepper.

• White rice.

DSCN2066a_800.jpg

DSCN2068b_800.jpg

DSCN2069a_800.jpg

I used this one, shown below out from the package.  A piece was cut off, sliced thinner, soaked, then cut into strips.

DSCN2063a_600.jpg

• Like 3

Posted a few times before, but I enjoy this salad & pasta and find it sort-of comfort food.

Romaine, Napa, parsley, EV olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper.  Hazan simple tomato sauce using fresh tomatoes, fedelini, pecorino romano.

DSCN2086a_800.jpg

DSCN2089a_800.jpg

• Like 4

cyalexa - Actually those pepperoni rolls are store bought.  Just a nice, buttery dough stuffed with pepperoni slices and Cheddar with more cheese scattered on top before they baked them.  I’m quite sure they could be made better at home, but probably not by me :rolleyes: !

Shelby – thanks for the link.  Mr. Kim would love those – he’s trying to cut carbs.

We got some mushrooms from Relay Foods:

med_gallery_3331_114_96340.jpg

Shitakes on the upper right and maybe oyster on the lower left.  Is the yellow one a lone chanterelle?  And what the heck it is this fuzzy fellow:

med_gallery_3331_114_66539.jpg

Here they are all sautéed and ready to go into an omelet:

med_gallery_3331_114_20977.jpg

Mr. Kim nibbled the yellow one before I could take a picture.  The omelet with some fairly good (early) Hanover tomatoes:

med_gallery_3331_114_37811.jpg

Served with kale:

med_gallery_3331_114_142663.jpg

Don’t blame me for those stems.  Mr. Kim cooked the kale when I was out and forgot to de-stem them.  He was in heaven with this meal.  I don't care for kale or mushrooms, so I had more pepperoni rolls and tomatoes!

• Like 3

We got some mushrooms from Relay Foods:

med_gallery_3331_114_96340.jpg

Shitakes on the upper right and maybe oyster on the lower left.  Is the yellow one a lone chanterelle?  And what the heck it is this fuzzy fellow:

med_gallery_3331_114_66539.jpg

1) Yes, oyster mushrooms.  

2) Doesn't quite look like a chanterelle, could be a variety of oyster?

3) Lion's Mane mushroom.