• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Lisa Shock

"Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Bread"

11 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

<Sigh> My copy is now scheduled to arrive on Monday the 21st....

I honestly sympathize having received my books very early but it is what it is. Use the time wisely. Do some strength training and eat lots and lots of carrots.   :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have a comment and a suggesting 

for me , the Index to a book is its key.

this is frequently overlooked and many times not much effort is made to generate a good on.

MBr  has a good one , at the end of Vol 5

Id like to suggest that including one in the Kitchen manual would have been a fine idea

as it lighter and much easier to work with.

even better , as some point for those who own MBr 

via their web-site or by any means

a .pdf or e-book of the Index would be very much appreciated.

hopping the Modernist Team takes a peek at this thread from time to time !

an extraordinary collection of books BTW

• Like 1

does MBr have a web site where oe might ' register ' as an owner

and make a few suggestions ?

I could not find one.

[ed.:  he didn't try very hard ]

The only website I could find was the Modernist Cuisine which did allow you to subscribe to obtain updates on Modernist Bread unless of course you’re not American in which case you won’t be able to do it because you don’t have a ZIP Code. And if you borrow somebody else’s ZIP Code you still won’t be able to do it because it won’t accept your Captcha!  GRRRR

Barnes and noble has 20 percent off coupon with cod DAYMAKER in case it helps to buy MB.  It is currently 560 on their website.

On 11/18/2017 at 5:34 PM, Anna N said:

I am sure I will eventually but I need to get ordinary bread out of my system first.  Some experimental geek will get in there and give it a. go long before that. 

Have 22qt pressure canner, freezer always too full, and love bread.  This I MUST TRY!

The Modernist Bread team has an email address for corrections: corrections@modernistcuisine.com

Note that that is for errata only.

As for suggestions, the best place to raise them is actually here, especially since we absorbed the MC discussion forum back in 2014. Their team is understandably busy with the book launch and its immediate aftermath, but we're hoping they'll be weighing here themselves before long.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

The Modernist Bread team has an email address for corrections: corrections@modernistcuisine.com

Note that that is for errata only.

As for suggestions, the best place to raise them is actually here, especially since we absorbed the MC discussion forum back in 2014. Their team is understandably busy with the book launch and its immediate aftermath, but we're hoping they'll be weighing here themselves before long.

Will be very happy to see the team drop in here from time to time and address some of our questions. Mind you we seem to have a fair bit of expertise already here!:)

On 11/19/2017 at 10:31 AM, rotuts said:

I have a comment and a suggesting 

for me , the Index to a book is its key.

this is frequently overlooked and many times not much effort is made to generate a good on.

MBr  has a good one , at the end of Vol 5

Id like to suggest that including one in the Kitchen manual would have been a fine idea

as it lighter and much easier to work with.

This - really this - I wanted to find the recipe for English Muffins because I know it's in there - easy to find in Vol 5 but no index in the Kitchen Manual makes me very sad.

• Like 2

Im sure MBr will sort something out eventually 

electronically vis their web site ?

also

the web site seems a bit moribund right not  or its just me

is there a way to register  MBr  

as we did w MC ?

With all due respect to Nathan Myrhvold and the Modernist Cuisine team, I do find it ironic that a "Modernist" book is only available in a 50+ pound giant hardbound edition.  I am in the sad position of having no more space for physical cookbooks, so I can only buy electronic ones.  And realistically, the size of the physical books makes them rather ill suited to reading or using in any productive way.  I wish that Myrhvold and company would consider releasing an electronic edition, or at least a more manageable physical one.   Note that the problems are compounded by the fact that there are undoubtedly an enormous number of errata in the book (that was my frustration with the original Modernist Cuisine) thus shortly after purchasing one is left with a precise scientific cookbook book which is riddled with corrections that are hard to access.  When I contacted Modernist Cuisine suggesting that they should replace books that contained hundreds of errors (as other publishers have done with problematic books), they basically laughed at me.  My only conclusion from all of this is that these are books which are designed to sit on a shelf, not to be used.

Edited by kirk9000 (log)

5 minutes ago, kirk9000 said:

My only conclusion from all of this is that these are books which are designed to sit on a shelf, not to be used.

I use mine. 

38 minutes ago, kirk9000 said:

With all due respect to Nathan Myrhvold and the Modernist Cuisine team, I do find it ironic that a "Modernist" book is only available in a 50+ pound giant hardbound edition.  I am in the sad position of having no more space for physical cookbooks, so I can only buy electronic ones.  And realistically, the size of the physical books makes them rather ill suited to reading or using in any productive way.  I wish that Myrhvold and company would consider releasing an electronic edition, or at least a more manageable physical one.   Note that the problems are compounded by the fact that there are undoubtedly an enormous number of errata in the book (that was my frustration with the original Modernist Cuisine) thus shortly after purchasing one is left with a precise scientific cookbook book which is riddled with corrections that are hard to access.  When I contacted Modernist Cuisine suggesting that they should replace books that contained hundreds of errors (as other publishers have done with problematic books), they basically laughed at me.  My only conclusion from all of this is that these are books which are designed to sit on a shelf, not to be used.

I don't have the luxury of a shelf but one book fits on my dining table at a time.  Volume 3 at the moment.

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't have the luxury of a shelf but one book fits on my dining table at a time.  Volume 3 at the moment.

Actually, if you add a hardened glass tabletop onto the box, you have a dining table ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• Similar Content

• By CCB
      I used my homemade toffee in a cookie recipe hoping that the toffee will add a crunch to the cookie... it didn't turn out well as the toffee melted and didn't keep its hardened crunch form. How can I prevent my toffee from melting in my cookie recipe?
    • By Rho

The space race trickled into kitchens in the 60s and 70s, including one curious tool that's faded away in the years since: the thermal pin, a heat pipe skewer that can halve cooking times for roasts:

Heat pipes are thermal superconductors, transferring heat 500-1000 times more effectively than solid copper (some people in the sous vide thread have discussed copper pins). They're hollow tubes with the air evacuated and a small amount of working fluid, often water. The usable temperature range is limited by the triple point and the critical point, with additional constraints near the edges. Water is effective from 20C-280C /70F-530F, which comfortably spans most cooking temperatures.

Modernist Bread has an excellent section on how bread bakes, including a diagram of the internal heat pipes that develop, summarized here. (click for a good photo!)

Sous-vide solves the overcooking side of the gradient problem, but it's still limited by total heat diffusion time-- doubling the size of a cut quadruples the time needed for the center to reach temperature. Heat pipe pins should make larger cuts practical, or normal cuts cook faster. Here's a graph from "The heat pipe and its potential for enhancing the cooking and cooling of meat joints", showing average temperatures over time for 1kg joints of meat convection baked at 190C/375F for 110 minutes (foil removed for the last 30 minutes):

Thermal pins were sold commercially from 1956 to about 1990. They're listed occasionally for about $20 on ebay. They even made potato baking racks with heat pipes-- though now you can easily par-cook a potato in the microwave and finish it in the oven.

I don't know why production of thermal pins stopped, or what fundamental problems limited their usage. It seems like pans and commercial griddles would be improved by adding heat pipes to spread heat throughout and avoid hot or cold spots. Perhaps roasts fell out of favor as the culture of entertaining shifted away from monolithic centerpieces to smaller, more precisely cooked portions.
    • By philie
      Hey there, i hope to find some help in the wise hands of yours. after some research i am still having some problems concerning glazing:

For a party i would like to make some cubes and rounded savoury cakes and foams out of silicone forms that have a ready bottom and a colour glazing. 
      Somehow i just do not manage to find a steady glazing ( one that does not run ) and is for texture reasons preferably hard or crisp that does not include sugar or syrup.

can you help me or lead my way in a certain direction?

thanks very much!
    • By trfl
      Dear fellow bakers,
      We have been baking no-knead bread at home for several years and as a family of scientists and engineers, we consistently tried to make it even more easier and convenient. 
      We liked what we ended up with so much that, I decided to start a small company (based in Eindhoven, Netherlands) to make a new bread kit product out of it.

I am seeking your help to know your opinion of the product and how the story is told.

LoafNest is an improvement on no-knead Dutch oven bread making. We took perforated silicone liner designed for professional bread baking and put it into a uniquely designed cast iron casserole. With this improvement, there is no need for shaping or second raising of the bread. You just mix, let the dough raise, pre-heat, pour the dough, bake and done!

So, LoafNest is a no-knead, no-mess, no-cleanup solution for convenient and practical bread making.

The perforated silicone liner is from the same company that makes Silpat mats. Our liner is a more advanced version with perforations that allow radiative, conductive and convective heat to all sides of the bread. It is also rated to a higher temperature (260C/500F)

With less than 5 minutes of active work that can fit into a busy schedule, we hope to reduce the entry barrier for people who are willing to make bread. Our primary targets are people who buy expensive premium bread but want to make their own premium bread at home or people who use bread machines and want to eat better bread.

While it is not a primary target, we also believe this is a nice solution for experienced bakers who want to use a high-humidity, high thermal mass baking environment.

You can find the details and more images on http://trfl.nl/LoafNest  [still a little bit work in progress] and http://trfl.nl/loafnest-gallery 
      What are your impressions of the product? Visually and functionally? What are your thoughts on how the story is told? Any improvement to resonate better with people who are thinking of starting to bake their own bread? Any thoughts on pricing? I would be grateful to your feedback and suggestions.

I am sure, in the end, we all want more people to eat better and healthier bread. So please support me in this endeavor. 

• By Chris Hennes
      Of the many zillions of inclusions they discuss in Modernist Bread, one that I'd honestly never considered was sprouted grains. Apparently I'm out of touch with the "health food" movement! Have any of you made bread with sprouted grains? Can you describe the flavor difference between sprouted versus just soaked? Right now I'm sprouting some rye, but I'm curious about what to expect from the finished product.