• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

Today Kerry and I went first to see about those two front teeth that I asked for for Christmas  and did not get.   After a short visit with my favourite dentist we headed off to do some thrift store shopping before deciding to have lunch at our favourite Japanese/Korean restaurant, Sakai in Burlington. 

image.jpeg

Kerry had tea in this beautiful cup and I had warm sake.

image.jpeg

The ubiquitous "Japanese" salad. 

image.jpeg

Tempura bacon. This was so much better than it sounded and I was quickly becoming addicted to it.

image.jpeg

Chicken and vegetable skewers.

image.jpeg

enoki mushrooms.

image.jpeg

Rock shrimp. 

image.jpeg

The new menu item column, whole body up squid with gingerly sauce, sounded intriguing.

image.jpeg

Unfortunately it failed to live up to expectations and went back to the kitchen very quickly. No questions asked it was removed from the bill.  To err is human (but did no one in the kitchen or our server have a nose?)  

Here's the website  for explanations of the dishes.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As Usual , wonderful meal viz  .jpgs

I think that TeaCup is outstanding.

sorry about the squid.

I need to find a new Job as a SecretAgent for some ClandestineService  with DeepPockets

that allows me to ShowUp , maybe via one of these

http://www.gulfstream.com/aircraft

the SecretAgency of course would own it , and Id demand a lot of legRoom   ...

etc   etc

Door to Door  , aller-retour, some doggie and cat bags for the detour.

Doggie is of course for me for Breakfast.  Cat for me for lunch.

then I would follow the LunchLadies  when they went Lunching  

and order the same  

all expenses covers but the C.S.  

Id let them know for their money  if there were any MicroDots  per order.

just saying.

I was Born for this Job !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Does anyone else think that squid looks like the bastard offspring of a Spiralizer?  

Either that, or like you might get in the early stages of cutting one a squid up sort of like those ways you can cut a hole in a postcard large enough to step through.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

19 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Today @Alleguedeand I had the pleasure of meeting up with @pastryani and having lunch at The Copper Chimney

Curious to hear how it was, Kerry. 

We used to go to TCC a few years ago, but after a dine safe...*ahem* issue, we stopped.

As an aside, though I posted elsewhere on EG, I would urge anyone in the vicinity of Yonge & 401 to check out EAT BKK Thai Kitchen - really stellar Thai that you don't have to drive all the way downtown for (Khao San Road is my yard stick).

Edited by TicTac
Missing an E (log)

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Curious to hear how it was, Kerry. 

We used to go to TCC a few years ago, but after a dine safe...*ahem* issue, we stopped.

As an aside, though I posted elsewhere on EG, I would urge anyone in the vicinity of Yonge & 401 to check out EAT BKK Thai Kitchen - really stellar Thai that you don't have to drive all the way downtown for (Khao San Road is my yard stick).

I found it excellent - no 'issues'.

Kerry and I ranged far and wide today to complete our errands. Our last stop was too close to Kenzo Ramen for any other lunch choice. 

image.jpeg

Freshly made gyoza

image.jpeg

King shoyu ramen for Kerry

image.jpeg

A smaller shoyu for me. 

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, rotuts said:

have the LunchLadies been to Stoney's Bread Co.  in Oakville Ont. ?

it showed up ( literally ) on You Gotta Eat Here  maybe they have a Calamari Sandwish ?

http://stoneysbreadcompany.com/our-menus/

Passed it many times but it has never called out to us. Perhaps too main stream?  But there is a slow cooked lamb sandwich on the menu. Might give us pause. Let's see if @Kerry Beal chimes in. 

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Passed it many times but it has never called out to us. Perhaps too main stream?  But there is a slow cooked lamb sandwich on the menu. Might give us pause. Let's see if @Kerry Beal chimes in. 

Add it to the list - along with the place in Hamilton that was on the show.

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Elgin Street Diner ?

http://www.elginstreetdiner.com

A bit far afield for us on a weekday. 

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ooooops.  Ottawa

I think she might be referring to "Ship" in Hamilton.

My 2004 eG Blog

On January 15, 2017 at 5:50 AM, rotuts said:

have the LunchLadies been to Stoney's Bread Co.  in Oakville Ont. ?

it showed up ( literally ) on You Gotta Eat Here  maybe they have a Calamari Sandwish ?

http://stoneysbreadcompany.com/our-menus/

As promised this was where we had lunch today. Service is semi cafeteria style where you order from the counter and a server then brings your selection to the table.  

image.jpeg

Kerry had their interpretation of a chicken caesar. 

image.jpeg

And of course I had to have the slow roasted lamb sandwich.  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Well , thanks !

I do like the Zen-ey thing-ey  on the R  of AnnaN's plate

they are trying !

sad  there id no  Calamari Sandwich   ............

I wanted to steal both plates!  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Today we visited the second place derived from the post above.  The Ship, or perhaps Ship, in Hamilton. 

image.jpeg 

We shared an order of duck wings with a lime-sriracha sauce. Kerry felt that they should have been Sous Vide'd first and I felt that duck wings make wonderful stock but have little else to recommend them.  Without the sauce these would have been left on the plate by both of us I suspect.  

image.jpeg

Kerry's  southwestern chicken salad. I thought the topping was shoestring potatoes and was hoping to share ( after asking of course) but of course they were slivered, fried tortillas. 

image.jpeg

I have a long had a wish to try a fish taco. The fish here was perch or so they claimed.   I really don't mean to be a restaurant reviewer but I swear these tacos had been passed through a flavour extractor before they arrived at our table. 

image.jpeg

And really?  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

wow

Sooo sorry

looked zoo good

I had hoped that those Duck Wings might have been worthy of sucking right off the bone

granted , no calamari were ruined.

No reason for you to be sorry at all. This restaurant was already on our radar but had not quite made it onto the list. The duck legs were dried out and very chewy.   I am with Kerry on this one. If you were going to do them  then SV is the route to try. We should probably have used our noggins and ordered a burger. That apparently is where their reputation lies and the burgers that when by us did indeed look very good.  I would've enjoyed one of their craft beers but they were listed on the blackboard that was far out of my line of sight by the time I was seated.  The meal was not by any means the best we've ever had but don't let that fool you into thinking we did not have fun. We did indeed. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

And really?  

Sometimes the ideas restaurants come up with in the attempt to be zany or different just end up being silly.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

We should probably have used our noggins and ordered a burger. That apparently is where their reputation lies and the burgers that when by us did indeed look very good.

I learned that lesson. My one and only visit to the seemingly-popular Swiss Chalet (by request during a family trip) saw me completely ignoring the chicken they're supposed to be known for and ordering a burger instead. I still don't know if their chicken deserves it's following or not but I can attest to the awfulness of that burger. If I ever find myself in their restaurant again, chicken it will be. At least if I still don't enjoy it, it won't be due to my bad decision making.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.