• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

34 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

@chromedome

You can add beef shanks and lamb shanks to flank steak and oxtails.

Prices skyrocketed in the mid to late 80's. I've seen frozen beef shanks here more expensive than sirloin strip steaks.

Yup. Brisket, too.

When we still ate beef occasionally (before it became a medical issue for my GF), it was always the braising cuts I shopped for most aggressively. It was a constant frustration to me the so-called "cheap" cuts were so difficult to find at a good price. Grilling steaks went on sale regularly, but if I wanted flank steak or oxtail or shank or short ribs I had to hope for a near-its-date markdown. Perhaps that's why the sous vide selling point of "make a cheap cut just as tender as a premium steak" never really landed for me; why bother when I could usually buy a grilling steak on sale for the same or lower price?

Also, to be blunt, I prefer braises to steaks anyway. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike steak (we're not talking Liuzhou and corn here, or our dear departed Anna N and beans), I just don't find it compelling. I know I've cooked them occasionally for my current GF before her medical problems, so it's been sometime in the past decade, but otherwise couldn't tell you when I last cooked one. One of my cooking classes, maybe. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

How much flour to how much fat? Did you brown the flour? Thanks.

I usually used equal parts fat and flour. That's by volume, 1 cup to 1 cup. And then, you know me, I used the microwave. I used a heavy Pyrex bowl because that stuff gets hot, and just cooked it stirring it every minute until it reached a light brown color.

Before I found the little ice cube trays, I would roll it into logs, wrap in plastic and store it in Ziploc bags. That way all I had to do was slice off a little bit when I needed it for gravy or stews.

3 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

I've never seen them for sale here.

I can still buy them occasionally here in Costa Rica but like everywhere else the price has skyrocketed. It seems to be the same thing here as as it is up there. Whenever something gets popular, the price goes up astronomically. They used to practically give chicken wings away and now they cost as much as chicken breast. Hot wings aren't even a big thing down here but they see it on the US media so it must be a precious commodity.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Halve that 140 and you'd be dead on. That availability of oxtails was from growing up in Quebec and my parents would make oxtail soup.

Chicken wings were also an inexpensive buy with which my mother would make 'lolly pops' ala Pol Martin (a local TV chef in the 60's).

When I moved to Toronto to attend grad school oxtails were very inexpensive at butchers in Kensington Market and I also had my first exposure to oxtail stew at The Real Jerk (Jamaican restaurant) and learned how to make it. Also oxtail stew with mushrooms and red wine.

I've never seen them for sale here.

Did they use Jamaican curry?  I love that stuff.

32 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm of an advanced age (78) and remember going into a butcher shop for my weekly supply of meat and asking, and receiving, free soup bones.  Now you have to pay for them.

I'm 48 and recall them being free as a teenager in the grain belt (Midwest United States).

• Like 2

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

3 minutes ago, YvetteMT said:

I'm 48 and recall them being free as a teenager in the grain belt (Midwest United States).

I remember hamburger being 4 lb for a dollar and turkey being 15 cents a pound at Thanksgiving. But I also remember wages being a whole heck of a lot lower then too. It all kind of balances out in the long run.

• Like 2

From the US Department of Agriculture:

They aren't quite the same thing but close enough.

"Between 1960 and 2000, the average share of Americans’ disposable personal income (DPI) spent on food fell from 17.0 percent to 9.9 percent. DPI is the amount of money that Americans have left to spend or save after paying taxes. For the past two decades, however, the share of DPI allocated to food has remained around 10 percent."

From Statistics Canada:

Statistics Canada figures show that, in 1969, food ate up 18.7 per cent of spending in the average household. By 2009, that number had fallen to 10.2 per cent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Did they use Jamaican curry?  I love that stuff.

They did not use curry.

The recipe called for onions, garlic, ginger,  thyme, allspice, Scotch Bonnets, soy sauce, black pepper and salt. Served with rice and peas and coleslaw.

They also did a killer pan fried snapper with Scotch Bonnets and other vegetables and served with the standard rice and peas and coleslaw.

As a bonus the prices were very student friendly.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Growing up in Italy I’ve never seen anybody using dry garlic and onion powder in the kitchen. It was and it still is fresh garlic. 
Sure, the are some regional dry spices blends with garlic but it’s not the norm. 
I understand there are times when you don’t want to dilute things with extra liquid. But I am wondering, do you think all this dry garlic and onion  is just a lazy shortcut? Do you use them regularly in your cooking? 

10 minutes ago, Franci said:

Growing up in Italy I’ve never seen anybody using dry garlic and onion powder in the kitchen. It was and it still is fresh garlic. 
Sure, the are some regional dry spices blends with garlic but it’s not the norm. 
I understand there are times when you don’t want to dilute things with extra liquid. But I am wondering, do you think all this dry garlic and onion  is just a lazy shortcut? Do you use them regularly in your cooking? 

Only when making up dry rubs for ribs and similar items. Otherwise always fresh.

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

10 minutes ago, Franci said:

Neither onion or garlic powder do I have. But it seems that lately many recipes call for them, expecially in spice blends. Surely if you buy spice blends already made up they will be in the ingredients. 

• Like 1

@Franci

very interesting point .  and 

welcome back 

you bet , local fresh items are fantastic .

re garlic , I used to grow it , as my mother did , and dry it out for the year ish

and there was fresh garlic in the local supermarkets 

but  that garlic changed .  sometimes , garlic from ( ...  )  no flavor what so ever

so , good quality dried , was better than what one might get locally .

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Franci said:

Dried garlic is a lazy shortcut for me. Or it's for the times when I go, "I forgot to chop the garlic and I need it right now!"

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 10/17/2024 at 3:08 PM, rotuts said:

Im currently watching a series  ( 10 episodes ) 

Lincoln Lawyer , season 3 .

Just started watching Season 3 also ... I

... Shel

3 hours ago, haresfur said:

Dried garlic is a lazy shortcut for me. Or it's for the times when I go, "I forgot to chop the garlic and I need it right now!"

I use dried, roasted garlic with some frequency, often in combination with fresh garlic.  It imparts another flavor profile to the dish.  I don't see it as different from using any dried herb or spice, nor do I see it as a substitute for fresh garlic. It's it's own thing.

• Like 3

... Shel