• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

as 'things' happen,,,, bread boxes can become overwhelmed with mold spores.

a thorough wash with bleach or strong vinegar will kill mold spores - you may have to repeat . . .

I have used @Alex's concentration of bleach and submerged the breadbox in a tall stock pot for half hour or so. We'll have to see if this increases the time before mould starts.

I find that just hanging out in the kitchen, the open end of fresh bread develops a hard surface, whereas in the breadbox, the bread stays soft. Until day 3 or 4 which is time for the toaster anyway.

Edited by TdeV
clarity (log)

I find 'how fast' bread goes 'off' is mostly a factor of home made vs commercial stuff.

the commercial breads are spiked with preservatives / etc (don't know about psuedo stuff like Panera...)

and they last almost indefinitely.

otoh, home made loaves start to stale fairly quickly.  I used the plastic sleeve wrappers (from commercial loaves) to 'store' my home made, until the loaf is small enough to go in the glass domed thingy.  round loaves . . . go directly into the glass dome keeper....