• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things from Infomercials that are useful in your kitchen

Kerry Beal

My parents gave me one as a stocking stuffer one year, and I use it fairly often. Yes, it goes into the dishwasher and comes out clean. I suspect that the dishwasher isn't doing the cutting blades any favors - any more than it would any sharp knife - but that hasn't stopped me. On the other hand, if I'm handwashing other items I'll just handwash it - my experience is the same as Shel's with regard to easy cleaning.

The one drawback I've seen is that I have to cut the onions into quarters or eights to get them to fit the grid, and for me to get enough leverage. It's still less knife work, and a fairly even dice, and it controls the pieces and tear-inducing juices.

I cut the onions in half, and the chopper works just fine. I may have more strength than you, though, and I push down hard and fast. That seems to do the trick.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I've never ordered anything from an infomercial but in the "factory store outlet" stores there is an "As Seen on TV" store where one can buy the items (no shipping costs) and return them if one is not satisfied with the results.

Often they are discounted significantly.

I have purchased sets of the plastic containers that all take the same size lid and are on a turntable - for things that I am going to give away as gifts - or take to the senior center where NO container is ever returned.

I got a set of three of the perforated pizza pans - which are fairly heavy - good for crisping things as well as baking pizza and pastries in my Sharp convection/microwave. The set cost 8.99 and as I had a coupon on a sales slip from an earlier visit, I got the three for 5.99 and well worth it.

I bought one of the onion "flower" cutters - returned it, no problem.

I bought one of the "new" non-stick knives - for cheeses - marked down to 6.99. It works fine, especially on dense, slightly sticky cheeses. (Jack and Colby).

If you have one of the factory outlet malls in your area, check to see if they have one of these stores. Saves a lot because those shipping and "handling" costs can really add up.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have purchased sets of the plastic containers that all take the same size lid and are on a turntable - for things that I am going to give away as gifts - or take to the senior center where NO container is ever returned.

I bought a set of those at a discount dept store. After about 3 months I decided that I really didn't care for them. I went back to my tried-and-true Ziploc plastic containers.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Shel_B, you may be considerably tall than Smithy, so your angle of attack may well vary... Just sayin'.

Given that I have to stand on tiptoe to get the right angle and slam my weight down, I suspect you have a point. Nonetheless...if I ever meet Shel_B, I don't plan to challenge him to an arm-wrestling match! :laugh:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Shel_B, you may be considerably tall than Smithy, so your angle of attack may well vary... Just sayin'.

Given that I have to stand on tiptoe to get the right angle and slam my weight down, I suspect you have a point. Nonetheless...if I ever meet Shel_B, I don't plan to challenge him to an arm-wrestling match! :laugh:

It might be a pretty even match. However, I am over seven feet tall, so my angle of attack is considerably different than yours <ROTFLOL>

• Like 2

... Shel

It was 4:00am, and Linda's cat jumped on my head. I was awake and unable to fall back to sleep. Turned on the flat screen, and watched a Sandra Bullock movie, The Net - a nice thriller. At 4:00am there are a lot of infomercials, and I saw one for this product.

I like to make zucchini noodles, and so this caught my attention. Has anyone tried it? Any comments?

https://www.getskinnygourmet.com/?mid=4844412

... Shel

My DW bought me a mandoline several years ago. I just couldn't quite get the hang of it. She now uses it for slicing cucumber very thinly for tea sandwiches. Do they sell mandolines on informercials also. I'll have to watch an infomercial someday when I have TV again.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I'm amazed and amused at the website...even without watching the video, I can just hear the excited voices! How can I not buy this to try it out!?

Actually, for 20 bucks I'd be tempted to try it out...except that I'm not fussed about the carbs and calories in standard pasta, and I'm happy doing the occasional shred or julienne with what I already have, and I'm busy unloading stuff instead of adding. Still...I'm tempted. Let us know how it works out, Shel. :-)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

A mandolin is critical for all kinds of stuff. Fine slicing 15 potatoes by hand is imprecise and annoying. 5 minutes or less with a mandolin and results are great if you don't cut off a digit.

• Like 1

A mandolin is critical for all kinds of stuff. Fine slicing 15 potatoes by hand is imprecise and annoying. 5 minutes or less with a mandolin and results are great if you don't cut off a digit.

... and giving new meaning to the term "finger food."

• Like 3

... Shel

I still make big batches of candied ginger and slicing it on a mandolin is the only way to go when 10 pounds is the batch.

Also slice big batches of onions to make onion confit.

I have the de Buyer V slicer and hang it over a bus tub when slicing both these items.

And I wear a cut-proof glove if I don't use the holder when slicing the ginger.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

... and giving new meaning to the term "finger food."

And I wear a cut-proof glove if I don't use the holder when slicing the ginger.

At her request I got a Kevlar glove for my DW.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have the Kevlar and steel mesh glove/Superior brand. More expensive but they seem safer to me. I got mine from a local fishing and hunting store - and they gave me a discount because the smaller sizes apparently haven't been selling well.

They sell a lot to people who fish and hunt.

Supposedly they are the same ones used by commercial fisherfolk...

• Like 2

I have a steel mesh glove, which I also use in conjunction with my mandoline. I usually slip a disposable nitrile glove overtop of it, so when I'm done I just peel the glove off and toss it, and if I've been careful I don't need to wash the cutproof glove.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• Like 1

... Shel

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Fantastic!! One stop shopping.

I just bought an ear wax remover and hearing aids all for $40. Nothing getting by me now!

• Like 1