Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Cookies Redux


Jaymes
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 12/5/2017 at 11:41 AM, Kim Shook said:

I'm so glad that you like those cookies.  I've made them since I was a little girl - the recipe is from one of those series that you used to be able to buy at the grocery store.  A new volume every week or so and depending on how much you spent on groceries, you could get the books for about $1.  Women's Day, I think.  They are our favorite cooky and can stand up to alot of messing with (adding nuts, cinnamon, etc.) and are delectable perfectly plain.

 

@TeakettleSlim & @Porthos – wow!  Y'all are my heroes.  Incredible lists.  Talk about something for everyone.  Hope you’ll share pictures when they are done!

 

@cakewalk – I always freeze baked cookies.  One the kitchen is a mess from mixing the dough, I’d rather just go ahead and bake them then.  And I’ve never had a cooky that didn’t freeze well.

 

I do so many different “goodies” for Christmas (2 different kinds of fudge, Sponge candy, peanut brittle, Turtle candy, lemon chess tarts), that only 3 kinds of cookies will grace the table.  One doesn’t really count – I do easy GF cookies from a cake mix for a niece and a friend.  They love them, but I think they are gacky.  I will be doing my PB cookies and some decorated sugar cookies.

 

Kim, do you just stack the already baked and cooled cookies in ziplock bags and then freeze them? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Kim, do you just stack the already baked and cooled cookies in ziplock bags and then freeze them? 

Yep.  I sometimes place the bags in cheap cardboard boxes (like shirt boxes from $Tree) to protect the more delicate ones.  Mark the outside with a Sharpie and it makes them easier to store and FIND!  xD

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kim Shook said:

Yep.  I sometimes place the bags in cheap cardboard boxes (like shirt boxes from $Tree) to protect the more delicate ones.  Mark the outside with a Sharpie and it makes them easier to store and FIND!  xD

Thank you!  I'm trying to talk myself into making cookies.  I just don't enjoy it very much.  But you guys make it sound so festive lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Thank you!  I'm trying to talk myself into making cookies.  I just don't enjoy it very much.  But you guys make it sound so festive lol.

My best cooky hint is: if you don't already have some, get some cooky dishers.  For drop cookies, you wouldn't believe how easy they make it.  I use them for everything - so often that I actually keep them on the counter with my other oft-used utensils.  Probably you already know this.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kim Shook said:

My best cooky hint is: if you don't already have some, get some cooky dishers.  For drop cookies, you wouldn't believe how easy they make it.  I use them for everything - so often that I actually keep them on the counter with my other oft-used utensils.  Probably you already know this.  

I do have one of those things but I would have forgotten to use it so thank you!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Another question:

 

What about cookies that are rolled in colored sugar and then baked.  Can you freeze them ok or does the sugar not do well when they thaw out?

They work just fine.  I've done both the ones that are just rolled on the edges and also the ones the are balls and rolled completely in the sugar.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We use Rubbermaid and Tupperware tubs, just placing the cookies into them with no stacking, then into the freezer. This has served us well for many years

  • Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

My best cooky hint is: if you don't already have some, get some cooky dishers.  For drop cookies, you wouldn't believe how easy they make it.  I use them for everything - so often that I actually keep them on the counter with my other oft-used utensils.  Probably you already know this.  

 

I ordered mine from Fantes. They are more expensive but they don't keep snagging and the sweeper get out of position like the cheaper ones.

I threw away several that were awful and wasted my time. 

I have 8 in various sizes. 

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Shelby We just pull them out and let them come to room temperature.

 

RE: Dishers. Let me join andiesenji and say that I am a major advocate of dishers. I buy mine at a restaurant supply store. I've had too many others fall apart.

  • Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, all of you cookie bakers.  

 

I'm pooped.

 

 I made all of the dough yesterday and put it in the fridge--I do better that way.  Making dough, letting it chill and then baking it all in the same day  makes me antsy and I rush too much.

 

Anyway, I baked everything today:

 

These aren't cookies, but I doctored up a box of Ghirardelli brownies (don't judge me, they are just as good as I can make scratch or probably better lol) with some chopped up peppermint patty candies

 

IMG_3851.jpg.2ac27f75d53fedec769a300dbbb73734.jpg

 

Soft molasses cookies.  They taste just like Christmas to me.  

 

IMG_3857.JPG.2e333ac80f30c5d1d60b9454ab7bed47.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG.1fadb08c6dc4e88faefed6e396604cc8.JPG

 

Sugar cookies that have cream cheese and almond extract in them.  

 

5a2b093e5e151_IMG_38592.JPG.f1276aab3d3e755847d29e280a73a55e.JPG

IMG_3860.jpg.95290d15603a03086b7bd866206d6bce.jpg

5a2b09632c59f_IMG_38612.JPG.154e2e8bfd9e93cebc6819419fa07393.JPG

 

@Ling's lime melt-aways.  I could eat every one of these.  Not today...I'm sick of cookies today...but I could tomorrow.

 

5a2b09836fd7b_IMG_38622.JPG.34a55b700e262574d7fd47f2645fcfe1.JPG

5a2b0986a3f65_IMG_38632.JPG.2d074df90078fa17116c560b0eea4382.JPG

Raspberry thumbprint cookies

 

I thought for sure I had some raspberry jam--or just any kind of jam in the cupboard, but no.  And I had already made the dough.  So I used a can of raspberries and made my own.  

 

5a2b0a2443a47_IMG_38662.JPG.d17f124995bdd3ec5aaca216c9d0caef.JPG

5a2b0a268cb89_IMG_38672.jpg.fed44e72cc2ba9f3ebd258597ec1f6de.jpg

5a2b0a28ecdb1_IMG_38682.JPG.772011b9d6840242b2efa61f88a65962.JPG

Some all packaged up for my wonderful UPS delivery man.  Excuse the ugly ziplock bags --he seems to be here every day except for when I make him something and then he's never here lol.  

 

5a2b0a2b4291b_IMG_38642.JPG.d17a3f6232261a9eb6e5ddf0adb2cd2d.JPG

5a2b0a2d9b6eb_IMG_38652.JPG.d9a78234d62b434fbf1bf69ab549c2e1.JPG

 

And now I need a glass of wine.

 

 

 

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shelby, those are some of the best looking molasses cookies i've ever seen! You do have my  correct mailing address right?

  • Haha 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Ok, all of you cookie bakers.  

 

I'm pooped.

 

 I made all of the dough yesterday and put it in the fridge--I do better that way.  Making dough, letting it chill and then baking it all in the same day  makes me antsy and I rush too much.

 

Anyway, I baked everything today:

 

These aren't cookies, but I doctored up a box of Ghirardelli brownies (don't judge me, they are just as good as I can make scratch or probably better lol) with some chopped up peppermint patty candies

 

IMG_3851.jpg.2ac27f75d53fedec769a300dbbb73734.jpg

 

Soft molasses cookies.  They taste just like Christmas to me.  

 

IMG_3857.JPG.2e333ac80f30c5d1d60b9454ab7bed47.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG.1fadb08c6dc4e88faefed6e396604cc8.JPG

 

Sugar cookies that have cream cheese and almond extract in them.  

 

5a2b093e5e151_IMG_38592.JPG.f1276aab3d3e755847d29e280a73a55e.JPG

IMG_3860.jpg.95290d15603a03086b7bd866206d6bce.jpg

5a2b09632c59f_IMG_38612.JPG.154e2e8bfd9e93cebc6819419fa07393.JPG

 

@Ling's lime melt-aways.  I could eat every one of these.  Not today...I'm sick of cookies today...but I could tomorrow.

 

5a2b09836fd7b_IMG_38622.JPG.34a55b700e262574d7fd47f2645fcfe1.JPG

5a2b0986a3f65_IMG_38632.JPG.2d074df90078fa17116c560b0eea4382.JPG

Raspberry thumbprint cookies

 

I thought for sure I had some raspberry jam--or just any kind of jam in the cupboard, but no.  And I had already made the dough.  So I used a can of raspberries and made my own.  

 

5a2b0a2443a47_IMG_38662.JPG.d17f124995bdd3ec5aaca216c9d0caef.JPG

5a2b0a268cb89_IMG_38672.jpg.fed44e72cc2ba9f3ebd258597ec1f6de.jpg

5a2b0a28ecdb1_IMG_38682.JPG.772011b9d6840242b2efa61f88a65962.JPG

Some all packaged up for my wonderful UPS delivery man.  Excuse the ugly ziplock bags --he seems to be here every day except for when I make him something and then he's never here lol.  

 

5a2b0a2b4291b_IMG_38642.JPG.d17a3f6232261a9eb6e5ddf0adb2cd2d.JPG

5a2b0a2d9b6eb_IMG_38652.JPG.d9a78234d62b434fbf1bf69ab549c2e1.JPG

 

And now I need a glass of wine.

 

 

 

 

Jeez, @Shelby - for someone who doesn't like to bake cookies, you did an incredible job!!  They all look delicious!  And not one apology for Ghirardelli brownies.  They are what I use, too.  I cannot make a better brownie, so I don't bother trying.  I'll use my efforts on something that I can improve.  Doesn't mean I don't fix them up and play with "add ins"!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the marketing geniuses at the phyllo/fillo company decided a smaller double roll in the 1 lb box made semse - maybe for applications other than baklava -grrrr The size was so stupid. Tastes great though apparance sketchy. Flavoring was slightly under ripe tangerine peel grated rind in the sugar syrup. Gaps are quality control testing ')

IMG_0409.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't usually make cookies for Christmas anymore, but my mother begs for decorated cookies. Just vanilla cut out cookie with royal icing. I generally don't have the patience to color lots of icing and wait on stages of drying, so not my favorite thing to make. 

So, I bought these Prettier Plaques by Julia Usher. Love them! Still takes a little while, but all I had to do was one color of icing for a base, then put color in my airbrush. 

 

ACA5EFB3-614C-4730-9009-469AC05501B1.jpeg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, RWood said:

I don't usually make cookies for Christmas anymore, but my mother begs for decorated cookies. Just vanilla cut out cookie with royal icing. I generally don't have the patience to color lots of icing and wait on stages of drying, so not my favorite thing to make. 

So, I bought these Prettier Plaques by Julia Usher. Love them! Still takes a little while, but all I had to do was one color of icing for a base, then put color in my airbrush. 

 

ACA5EFB3-614C-4730-9009-469AC05501B1.jpeg

Um. These are amazing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, RWood said:

I don't usually make cookies for Christmas anymore, but my mother begs for decorated cookies. Just vanilla cut out cookie with royal icing. I generally don't have the patience to color lots of icing and wait on stages of drying, so not my favorite thing to make. 

So, I bought these Prettier Plaques by Julia Usher. Love them! Still takes a little while, but all I had to do was one color of icing for a base, then put color in my airbrush. 

 

ACA5EFB3-614C-4730-9009-469AC05501B1.jpeg

 

Wilton now sells a "kit" with cutters, a pack of royal icing mix  and pens and markers for decorating.  I ordered one as a raffle gift for the HOA holiday party this coming week. I know there are a lot of people in this enclave who don't have much time to bake and do all that but they can buy the sugar cookie ice box dough,  roll it out, use the cut outs and etc. 

Even if it is just writing a kid's name on a cookie, that will be fun for the kids.

 

Wilton Draw and Doodle Cookie Decorating Set, 6-Piece

  • Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...