• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

patrickamory

Patrick – funny man!

judiu – thank you, ma’am! Jessica has decided to do Thanksgiving and I’m in a bit of a holding pattern for Christmas right now. Mr. Kim is having shoulder surgery tomorrow, so we’ll see what we are capable of when the time comes. I’m sure we’ll both be in good shape by then, but there is so much pre-holiday cooking and prep that needs doing. Not sure how cooky and candy making will work into our various injuries!

Shelby – Happy Birthday. Everything looks scrumptious! Did you do the foie yourself?

Ann – of all the exotic and delicious looking meals on this thread, the one that draws me again and again and makes me wish for the energy to cook is your prime rib dinner. That gorgeous meat, the creamy potatoes and those high, crusty Yorkies! Fantastic.

Bruce – that stroganoff looks perfect. One of our favorites and I love trying new versions. I’ll have to give that one a try.

Leslie – I, too, am gnocchi-challenged. I’ve never had any luck with traditional recipes. At home, I always just make Jacques Pépin’s Gnocchi Parisienne. When I want traditional, I eat out :raz: .

Dcarch – love the caramelization of the squash!

I’m eating vicariously here. Having problems with a bit of a relapse and back not feeling too good. Mr. Kim is having shoulder surgery tomorrow morning, so we’re off for a quick, simple meal out tonight. Hope to get back to cooking soon, but in the meantime thanks so much for keeping me hungry!

• Like 1

Oh, Kim, that truly SUCKS! Tell Mr. Kim that I hope he feels better soon; I broke my shoulder several years ago, and it ain't no fun, fer sure! Sorry to hear of your relapse as well! Feel better soon, please! If you're up to it, please PM me Rachel's pimento cheese recipe. I have to make it for Halloween, and can't find it in egullet. Grrr!

• Like 1

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Having problems with a bit of a relapse and back not feeling too good. Mr. Kim is having shoulder surgery tomorrow morning

I prescribe ... another couple of weeks in Paris. Guaranteed to make you both feel better, as long as you tell us about it.

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

TERRIBLE photo, but REALLY good dinner. My husband wanted taco salad. I used venison burger for the meat....Rancho Gordo beans...a few remaining tomatoes from the garden and baked flour tortillas.

Image.jpg

• Like 2

Some recent dinners:

image.jpg

Sichuan Boneless Chicken, Steamed Rice and Broccoli Florets

image.jpg

Roast Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, and Steamed Asparagus

image.jpg

Grilled Pork Steak and Asparagus with Sesame and Oyster Flavored Sauce

image.jpg

Simple Risotto

image.jpg

Beef Pot Roast and Gravy

• Like 4

Great meals everyone! So inspiring! Makes me want to be able to take pictures worth sharing - as it is I feel like a freeloader here :laugh:

And my wife's super crispy gold egg potatoes.

10343039494_9721535148.jpg

Ooh, this looks good! Basquecook, can you please tell us more about this? I love potatoes and I am always on the lookout for new ways to prepare them...

• Like 2

Vlcatko

Fancy asian inspired dinner, cookef together with two other friends

Lobster Mango spring rolls with chilli dip
sazyzu5a.jpg

Foie Gras and trompette de morte shu mai with edamame pure and shallot broth
rysyqare.jpg

Oyster fritter with fennel salad and nori
yqebe5eb.jpg

Raw scallop ravioli with tomato lemongrass broth and vinegar jellies
a6u2agan.jpg

Roasted quail, gigner chilli spiced sweet potato puree and spiced pecans, hoisin-ish sauce
usenenyj.jpg

Matcha sponge, yuzu cream, passion fruit curd in hibiscus jally
ju7uguda.jpg

Edited by Bojana (log)
  • Like 5

image.jpg

Beef with broccoli.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Shelby - NOT a terrible photo, but mouthwatering. Which Rancho Gordo beans did you use? I've been doing a bunch lately, will be posting a multi-bean post.

Thanks Patrick! Aren't RG beans just the best?

I used the Borlotti beans. I know RG says to use them in minestrone, but I love them so much that I use them in everything. I had some left from a batch of chili I made over the weekend, so off they went into the taco salad.

Looking forward to your bean extravaganza :smile:

Very impressive dinner Bojama. How did you make the yuzu cream?

Speaking of yuzu, I recently threw together an oyster appetizer (somewhat inspired by this).

I made a yuzu vinaigrette with yuzu, lime, and lemon juice then added some white soy sauce and simple syrup. I foamed it by adding some xanthan gum and soy lecithin. I shucked some oysters, topped with finely chopped jalapenos, shallots, chives, and lime zest, then topped them with some foam.

tumblr_mv3qntFvTe1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)
  • Like 3

I have just thrown out a batch of gluten free gnocchi (horrible texture, did not get it to work like my normal recipe with flour) and need plan B for dinner tonight. May go for that yummy beef and broccoli stir fry.

Yuzu cream is from Migoya's book, actually it is yuzu mousse. You make yuzu and eggs sabayon, melt gelatine in it and then fold in cream (soft peaks). Really fresh dessert, loved and eaten even by 2 ladies who dislike sweets.

It's still warm here but a cold front is pushing through. May get lows in high 50s in the next couple of days

Just started working on dinner. Was able to score another nice yellow tail snapper and good looking 10/20 head on Gulf shrimp. Thinking of a fish stew/soup. Removed the heads and shells from most of the shrimp and fillet out the snapper. All the fish remains and shrimp heads and shells are in the pressure cooker at the moment to make a seafood stock

Will finish the soup up with fresh vegetables and toss the seafood in at the last moment

Making the stock

a9avydaj.jpg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 4

A recent late dinner:

• Sockeye salmon, steamed w/ Shaohsing wine, mirin, vegetable oil, black & white pepper, lime juice, bit of salt, scallions, ginger, pear puffballs.

• Leftover fried rice - w/ garlic, long beans, scallions, celery, eggs, salt.

DSCN9743a_800.jpg

DSCN9745a_800.jpg

DSCN9749a_800.jpg

• Like 5

Bojana, i have been inspired many, many times by the posters to this topic so I am happy to do my small part in re-payment.

image.jpg

I wish I could have made this look less like a dog's dinner! I was so tired and so hungry....

It is duck larb dressed with crispy duck skin, fried shallots and roasted rice powder. So tired I didn't even get the rice ground finely enough. Oh well. It was still worth repeating when I am less pooped.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, I don't know where you get your patience! If I were that tired and hungry, I'd just grab the duck meat, hoisin sauce and Triscuits, and call it supper. :)

• Like 1

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Duck larb and crispy skin. Boy does that hit my buttons

Dinner tonight. Fish soup

Posted Image

The PC stock was really good. Enhanced it with saffron, fresh vegetables and some sliced fennel. With some crusty sourdough bread it was really good. One of the reasons I take photos of my food is so I can remember what I've made and hopefully make it again.

• Like 4