• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

For St Patrick's Day...

started off with a whiskey

a few beers

another whiskey

Focaccia with rosmary

a pint of Guinness

Thats what I get for accepting to go out to dinner with an Irishman on St. Paddys Day in Italy.

I was going to open this post by writing, "Russ likes to play with his food", but decided not to. :raz: It didn't convey in the way that I wanted that even though we are mature, intelligent, sensible and sophisticated adults (LOL!), we like to have fun in the kitchen, and this was one of the silly kind of playful things we sometimes find ourselves doing.

He cooked last night and decided to make a white dinner.

gallery_13038_837_19411.jpg

Baked cod, baked sweet onions, rice, mashed cauliflower with white cheddar sauce, and you guessed it white wine.

Today's afterthought: Obviously he gave no thought at all to St. Patrick's Day!!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

...He cooked last night and decided to make a white dinner....

I think it great fun when it is done deliberately and with malice aforethought but it reminds me too much of my first dinner disaster - pork chops, mashed potatoes and cauliflower! :raz:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

...He cooked last night and decided to make a white dinner....

I think it great fun when it is done deliberately and with malice aforethought but it reminds me too much of my first dinner disaster - pork chops, mashed potatoes and cauliflower! :raz:

:laugh: Really!! When he first told me he was fixing this dinner, I did cringe, with the thoughts of the presentation. And I also thought maybe with no color, uh-oh, vitamin-free dinner. But actually it turned out with a nice (and comical) plating, and was nutritious as well as good!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Last night - two very different appetites, so 2 small meals:

for him: penne in chorizo cream sauce (just white sauce with crumbled cooked chorizo in it - the loose mexican kind, not spanish)

for me: salad with leftover butter lettuce (from LARB over the weekend), feta, almonds, and oil & vinegar.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I was going to open this post by writing, "Russ likes to play with his food", but decided not to.  :raz:  It didn't convey in the way that I wanted that even though we are mature, intelligent, sensible and sophisticated adults (LOL!), we like to have fun in the kitchen, and this was one of the silly kind of playful things we sometimes find ourselves doing.

He cooked last night and decided to make a white dinner.

gallery_13038_837_19411.jpg

Baked cod, baked sweet onions, rice, mashed cauliflower with white cheddar sauce, and you guessed it white wine.

Today's afterthought:  Obviously he gave no thought at all to St. Patrick's Day!!

I hope it tasted better than my mother's infamous unintentional all-white dinners of fillet of sole, boiled cauliflower (no sauce), and mashed potatoes (no gravy)! An all-white dinner could be quite amusing, but it just brings back bad memories for me. :blink:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Tonight I made a roasted chicken, which in and of itself is fairly mundane, but tonight at the suggestion of a texas frurmn member (I believe it was fifi) I stuffed under the skin with some tamales that I mashed up with a little butter. I then stuffed the cavity with lemons and roasted. About 2/3 of the way thru I took out the lemons and stuffed the cavity and the outside of the bird with even more tamales. The tamales I put around the chicken ened up frying in the chicken fat and were wonerful! This was truly one of the best chickens I have ever had.

The tamales I had were left over from an open house I had and had been frozen for a week or so. These are by far the best tamales I have ever had. Its a little tamale shop in houston and the main flavors are chicken mole and pork verde tamales.

as a counterpart to Susans all-white dinner, here's my brown dinner (or should I call it beige? :smile: )

whole sole fried in butter, with mushroom-cream sauce, roast belgian endive, new potatoes with lemon and parsley

gallery_21505_358_47396.jpg

as a counterpart to Susans all-white dinner, here's my brown dinner (or should I call it beige?  :smile: )

whole sole fried in butter, with mushroom-cream sauce, roast belgian endive, new potatoes with lemon and parsley

gallery_21505_358_47396.jpg

has anyone else noticed that Thansgiving can also be a very beige meal....ok cranberry sauce but...shades of beige from white to orangy.....

for dinner tonight

chicken thighs seared in an LC add 2cups water box of Goya rice Mexicano 1 can corn 1 can diced tomatoes and pop in hot oven for 35 min

yummy should be on the box :cool:

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Pasta night tonight. It all started with a little help from my Sous Chefs:

gallery_16368_889_149164.jpg

I made Fettuccine Alfredo (Fettuccine shown in above photo) for the kids.

For us grownups, I made:

Baked Clams Oreganata :

gallery_16368_889_1342391.jpg

Plated :

gallery_16368_889_201880.jpg

Then Linguine with Bacon and Onions (Carbonara):

gallery_16368_889_619709.jpg

It hit the pasta spot tonight!!

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Chicken marsala, made with thighs instead of breasts. Hefty shot of demi-glace in the sauce. Spanking fresh crisp mushrooms.

Sugar snap peas sauteed in a little of the rendered chicken fat with Penzey's Sunny Paris seasoning

Iced coffee. We're playing spring in this house.

Pork & Corned Beef Stir-Fry, made with the corned beef leftover from St. Patrick's Day. I added a sirloin pork chop because there wouldn't be enough meat for all of us otherwise, and I cleaned out the refrigerator of odds & ends of veggies. This was seasoned with oyster sauce and a drizzle of sesame oil, and served over white rice.

This is the kind of food I whip up on an "ordinary" day without following any recipe.

gallery_27586_1_86084.jpg

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

After a weeks worth of over indulgence in the low country (think shrimp and grits, jumbalaya, lots of caramel cake and pie), I came back to New York and cooked, yep,

Collards!

Long simmered with vinegar and ham hock, and served over grits cakes with red peppers.

Dessert will be homemade brownies.

friday was soup night using up udon noodles, stock, frozen peas and shrimp from the fridge/freezer. dessert was a fruit salad of mandarin oranges, jackfruit and papaya

saturday: spice coated orange game hens with baby yellow and green beans and carrots and baked sweet potatoes (enough leftovers to make a pot pie for john's lunches weds and thurs). wine was 2003 Chateu Souverain Alexander Valley Sauvigonon blanc

tonight: it was wet and nasty (though NO SNOW!!!) so baked meatballs, basic tomato sauce, linguine, green salad and 2002 Opici Chianti - yes the one in the straw basket :blink: . used it in making the sauce.

tomorrow - leftovers since i have a class of 5th graders at 10 am and work until 9 pm.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Saturday-

Cream of Portobello soup, with truffle butter

gallery_21049_162_32684.jpg

Exotic Mushroom Pizza w/Truffle Emulsion

I must confess that after trying a version of this pizza at Emeril's last week, I was looking forward to making it at home and "kicking it up a notch!"

The mushrooms consisted of crimini, portobello, trumpet, oyester, maitake, porcini and morel. The emulsion drizzled on top is made with some of the cream of portobello soup, heavy cream, lots of black truffle oil and a splash of white truffle oil. I could not find decent truffles that I was looking forward to slicing on the pizza, but it had so much truffle flavor already that my whole kitchen was smelling of truffles.....hmmm....truffles. Topped with a four chees blend, asiago and parmasean. Sprinkled with chives.

gallery_21049_162_14961.jpg

gallery_21049_162_19664.jpg

Sunday -

Cream of Chicken in Wild Rice w/Slice of Garlic Tuscan Bread

gallery_21049_162_43786.jpg

Rotisserie Chicken

gallery_21049_162_28225.jpg

Goat cheese w/almonds and figs in syrup w/Dow 1985 Port

gallery_21049_162_34499.jpg

Ohh..the figs were perfect with the goat cheese and the vintage port just put it out of this world !!! I can still taste the long finish of the wine....

Various dishes prepared tonight that are inspired from Elie Nassar's Introduction to Lebanese Cuisine Course at eGCI:

gallery_2_4_17984.jpg

The basic garlic sauce listed in this course, plus a "doctored" version mixed with zaatar and fresh oregano (which was also used as a marinade along with more lemon juice for the chicken) and the ubiquitous hummus dip.

gallery_2_4_56748.jpg

Fresh pita bread baking in the oven, on ceramic tiles.

gallery_2_4_88708.jpg

A "Shepherd's Salad" made with tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, parsley, with a dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, and shredded Goat Feta.

gallery_2_4_74558.jpg

Eggplant Salad (Salafat el Rahab). Technically this one came from a Turkish recipe (I used the one here), but a version of the same dish exists in Lebanese cuisine.

gallery_2_4_24821.jpg

Pita Bread, Garlic/Zaatar/Oregano/lemon marinated Chicken kebab with Lebanese Garlic Sauce (restaurant style, "doctored"), Eggplant Salad, Shepherd's Salad, Hummus

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Drooooool.

I went to a late st pat's feast with dips etc. I made salsa with mangos, blood oranges and chorizo. I also made a pear struddle.

Main course was some awesome tenderloin salt and pepper only and we made a nice sauce with butter, the drippings, some rosemary a bay leaf and some thyme and the open bottle of cab sav.

The roasted potatoes were made with butter salt and pepper and some rosemary . We also enjoyed some asparagas steamed very gently with butter.

Dessert in addition to the aforementioned struddle was dipped strawberries, chocolate cake, scones, etc.

Good Irish Coffee to end the meal.

Alas, a fine time was had by all. I am blessed.

Good feasting to all... gooodnight my friends!

edited to resemble englished but the dam screen keeps moving! Too much...oh bugger firget it!

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Jason-

All those dishes look so good. I am glad members still enjoy my contribution to the eGCI.

...as for my dinners this weekend. Well, I need to download the pictures first :wink:

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog