• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Dayne made dinner last night- Gaucho pizza which he has made me before and I love it! This is a picture of the previous time he made it

gallery_16100_1_1104812402.jpg

This time he got the crust really nice and crisp which is how I like it! Lamb, homemade tomato sauce, goat cheese, scallions, onions, arugula and a good drizzle of EVOO. Served with an Argentina Malbac

For dessert we had some sharp cheddar and a sliced apple (someone had this the other day and it sounded so good! it was!)

after i got back from the doctor's office - again :sad: - it had started to snow - again :angry: . started a bolognese sauce that i served when john got home with ziti, a mixed baby green salad and garlic toasts.

tonight will be a starter of poached asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and provolone. macaroni and cheese and a salad. dessert is going to be out of this month's cooking light: chocolate walnut cranberry cake. 2003 eroica in the fridge.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

What's on top of those burger buns? Did you emboss those or print them out with a printer or something?

Microsoft Picture It!! He He

What material is that printed on?

I simply took the picture and then added text to it using Picture It! software. It really does look like I printed it right on the bun, doesn't it?

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Tonight we started with an appetizer of toasted baguette; goat cheese with EVOO garlic and thyme; grilled andouille sausage and fried quail eggs.

gallery_16100_1_17860.jpg

Then we steamed some artichokes and served them with lemon mayo for dipping

gallery_16100_1_55949.jpg

Finally some French onion soup I had made and frozen a while ago

gallery_16100_1_57173.jpg

and the last 2 Godiva chocolate hearts from Valentine's day for dessert :wub:

Last night my husband came home very tired and asked if I could make him an egg burger. Just a sunny-side up egg on a toasted, buttered sesame seed hamburger bun with lettuce & mayo and he drank Australian Rice Milk with it. I just looked on in awe and watched him go off into blissful sleep. I, on the other hand, had a slice of leftover pizza and a Green Sands.

It was that kind of dinner, that kind of day.

Feel better soon, Behemoth :smile:

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I had to *leave* marinated rib eye steaks, a hot grill, garlic mashed potatos, steamed broccoli - because my work suddenly called me to a CPR in progress 25 minutes away - and none of my best efforts changed the outcome. I cooked, but didn't eat. My salad is wilting in the fridge, waiting for tomorrows lunch. How pathetic is this?

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Well I don't have any purdy pictures of tonight's dinner... but here's what I made:

Roasted yams, parsnips, carrots and red onions in one pan, then broccoli, cauliflower :wub: and garlic in another. The roasted root vegetables were a bit on the soft side... not sure why as they usually stay a bit firmer.

Served the above with spice-rubbed chicken breasts with caramelized onion-red pepper relish. This was all baked together and I didn't really notice much caramelization with the onions and red peppers so I think I would do them separately next time. Tasted good in the end though.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I had one of those days, too. Not enough sleep last night. A big restaurant lunch today, Pollo al limone. I had envisioned it would be a light saute. Instead, it turned out to be chicken and fettuccine in a gloppy Alfredo sauce -- and made me feel sleepy all afternoon.

Tonight's dinner was simply sandwiches: my husband's, hot pastrami on real rye bread (which our son had brought home from a visit to LA); mine hot pastrami on Asiago cheese bread; and our daughter, the cheese bread without the pastrami (she didn't eat the crusts, either, strange kid!).

Tomorrow will be better.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Dinner started with these:

gallery_21505_358_47891.jpg

pieces of bread dough, fried in oil first, then briefly grilled with a topping of tomatoes, artichokes and mozzarella.

After that we had Shula Kalambar, a dish of buttery lentils & spinach, lightly spiced with garlic, cumin and corianderseeds. To go with that, a mushroom chive frittata.

starter- crostini with parm and EVOO served with Montmarte martini's

Sauteed veal chops with mushroom white wine sauce and rosti pototatoes

Just wonderful! That starter looks positively decadent.

Sicilian Seafood Stew with clams, mussels, squid, cuttlefish, shrimp, and israeli couscous

Gorgeous! I am curious as to what kind of spices you used in the stew.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Tonight I dug deep in my recipe binders for one of the first recipes I made when I started getting into cooking - Jagerschnitzel. It is pork tenderloin cutlets seared and served over a sauce of mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and red peppers along with some egg noodles.

gallery_7851_477_6295.jpg

PS - I've finally figured out how to properly size my photos coming out of photshop. No more "objects may appear closer than they really are" pictures of my dinners.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Dinner: Grilled salmon, some corn, peas, zucchini, yellow squash, baked sweet potato, a bagel, some herb orzo with feta cheese, some green beans, and marinated chickpeas

Dessert: Chocolate chip waffle with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sprinkles, rainbow sprinkles, M&M's, Reese's Pieces, walnuts, mini chocolate chips, sliced strawberries, cherries, fresh whipped cream, and hot fudge sauce.

Needless to say, I am pretty stuffed right now. Just another crazy dining hall meal at my school...

Guess I can't stay away from Japanese food for long. :blink: Despite vowing to make this "Mediterranean week" in cooking, I couldn't resist making something special for my daughter for (Japanese) Girls' Day: Hina Sushi "dressed" to resemble an emperor and empress of an ancient court.

gallery_27586_1_41827.jpg

SuzySushi

Sauteed Scallops on a ragout of leeks, shitakes, and hen of the woods mushrooms, parsnip puree, rosemary-port reduction.

The parsnips were cooked in skim milk, to keep the calories down. But I couldn't resist and sauteed them beforehand with just a bit of butter.

I should not have thrown away the liquid the parsnips cooked in - it was amazing stuff. Should have added it back to the puree (which was blended and then pushed through a sieve and ended up a little dry.) Would also have made an interesting base for a panna-cotta, served up with, lets say, a fennel tuile and blood orange.

Tonight I dug deep in my recipe binders for one of the first recipes I made when I started getting into cooking -  Jagerschnitzel.  It is pork tenderloin cutlets seared and served over a sauce of mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and red peppers along with some egg noodles.

[

Bilrus, that looks so good! I have printed the recipe and will by trying it soon.

Cute suzy - did your daughter like them?

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Back to the Mediterranean mode. Tonight's dinner was Polenta with Mushroom Ragu, served with a Spanish-influenced Asparagus and Radish Salad.

The mushroom ragu cooking ("wild" & cultivated mushrooms seasoned with herbs and balsamic vinegar):

gallery_27586_1_183711.jpg

The finished dish. Cooked polenta was mixed and topped with Parmesan cheese and gilded under the broiler:

gallery_27586_1_160014.jpg

The salad was dressed with a simple mixture of orange juice, balasmic vinegar, and EVOO, scented with cumin. (The radishes were deliciously sweet, like the ones we ate in Europe. Mmmnnnn good!):

gallery_27586_1_83224.jpg

SuzySushi