• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me to identify this!

thonarkan

Well, oddly, I did contact Replacements.com and heard nothing back.  I thought maybe they felt since I was not going to be buying anything, that the request was not worth their time.  I may try again, but I'm still open to anyone's ideas.  Not sure if it's the brand of flatware, or a corporate brand (like Pottery Barn) or what.  Just would like to find out.  

I am surprised.  I suspect replacements.com will come through, unless they are devastated by the virus.  Or by straight Bourbon whisky.  I've never had anything but the best service from replacements.com.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@Marvinator, could you post photo(s) of the entire front and back of one of those pieces? (So we can see the style of the handle, try to guess in what country it was made. See what it's made out of, etc.)

Also, I can't tell whether that mark is 3-D or flat. I know it's a small mark, but maybe an alternate photo of that mark would be helpful.

10 hours ago, Marvinator said:

Yes, I've searched Google many times.  I've tried using a myriad of different words, meanings, "Logo" "Manufacturer's Mark" "Flatware" "Silverware" even "Housewares" and many others and am still stymied.  

Image search is different. You actually put your picture of the logo into the search box, and Google finds similar images.

ETA a link to Google's support page for that feature, which I belatedly realized might be helpful...

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/1325808?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 minutes ago, kayb said:

Image search was the first thing I did when I saw the pic. No joy.

Aye, well. It was worth a shot.

The weird thing is that it looks a LOT like the logo of a Canadian building supplies chain, but AFAIK they don't sell flatware. I guess it's not inconceivable that they'd have made a special purchase at some point, but whether they'd still have a record of who the manufacturer was is a whole other thing.

289045132_Screenshot_2020-08-10ProductCatalogueTIMBERMART.png.ace9ad4a455db6d65117fc65ab537971.png

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I have no idea what that pattern is called or who the manufacturer could be, but I think it's a very handsome design.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I have no idea what that pattern is called or who the manufacturer could be, but I think it's a very handsome design.

It would go beautifully with my hammered-steel Paderno pots. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2020 at 7:50 PM, Kerry Beal said:

World Market Hammered Flatware

World Market's is a round design, though I haven't seen the logo on it.  

On 8/13/2020 at 7:50 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Vera Wang Wedgewood Flatware

good match, but I don't think this is it, because VW puts her name on EVERYTHING and this has no name.  

I'm back to square one.  I've written to Replacements.com and asked once again, with no response. Oh I got the 'thank you for your question' auto response, and I got the 'welcome to Replcements.com' email both promising a response in  a couple of days. But then, Nothing.  Please, keep an eye out for this logo, it's a little thing, but it's driving me crazy. LOL

29 minutes ago, Marvinator said:

I must have shamed someone into actions.  I heard back from Replacements.com....they are unable to match the pattern or brand.  Sheesh. 

keep me in your thoughts whenever you're looking at flatware.  

May I ask what drives your quest?  Are you missing a piece?

You say that it came with no box.  Came from where?  Did you buy it at a store or a yard sale or what?  And where did you get it (geographically)?  My everyday stainless is Gorham - I have no idea of the pattern, but I know I got it at Costco.  I would guess that it was made for Costco to sell and I wouldn't expect it to be available anywhere except maybe ebay.  

5 hours ago, btbyrd said:

We use a very similar looking pattern from a different brand. 

Yes, very similar, but the handles are very straight. 

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

You say that it came with no box.  Came from where?  Did you buy it at a store or a yard sale or what?  And where did you get it (geographically)?  My everyday stainless is Gorham - I have no idea of the pattern, but I know I got it at Costco.  I would guess that it was made for Costco to sell and I wouldn't expect it to be available anywhere except maybe ebay.  

We live in Missouri, and it came from a thrift store.  My efforts are to find the brand as well as the pattern name so that should be need more in the future, we can consider ordering it.  Replacements.com has no idea.  I have no idea.  I'm just hoping that someone somewhere will know the logo or the pattern.  Maybe even have the same stuff.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marvinator said:

I'm just hoping that someone somewhere will know the logo or the pattern.

Perhaps these people can help, but with literally thousands of cutlery manufacturers in China, maybe not. Worth a try, though.

Total 2,000+ cutlery manufacturers & suppliers found with 6,000+ products

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a list of some resources that may be worth a shot.

A classic encyclopedia of antique hallmarks. Mostly antique hallmarks only.
https://www.925-1000.com/

Guide to identification with a massive Maker's mark lookup table. Very well organized. Mostly antiques.
https://www.kovels.com/marks-identification-guide/identification-help/silver-identification-guide.html

If all else fails, reddit communities are always worth a shot. You never know what type of experts are waiting around for a post like this. Here's the subreddit for hallmarks.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hallmarks/

On 8/16/2020 at 1:08 PM, Marvinator said:

good match, but I don't think this is it, because VW puts her name on EVERYTHING and this has no name.  

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes "designer" or name brand flatware is also sold under different names. 

My everyday flatware is Crate and Barrel's "Oona," which they discontinued ages ago. Turns out it's a Cambridge Silversmiths pattern -- they didn't even change the name. I think CS has discontinued it as well at this point, but when I first discovered that, CS were still making it.

Edited by dtremit (log)

6 hours ago, Burmese Days said:

A classic encyclopedia of antique hallmarks. Mostly antique hallmarks only.
https://www.925-1000.com/

I've looked there, but as you say, mostly antique and silver. 

Guide to identification with a massive Maker's mark lookup table. Very well organized. Mostly antiques.
https://www.kovels.com/marks-identification-guide/identification-help/silver-identification-guide.html

very familiar with Kovels. Nothing there either.  

If all else fails, reddit communities are always worth a shot. You never know what type of experts are waiting around for a post like this. Here's the subreddit for hallmarks.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hallmarks/

I've posted there.  fingers crossed.