• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's New in Kitchen Gadgets?

Kerry Beal

Not new, but found a gadget that went missing a few years ago and as I was shuffling stuff around in my storage place, I moved a big old Magnalite roaster and something slid from side to side inside it.

Inside was this, which I thought I had lost - at least 5 years ago - blamed myself for maybe throwing it out with the trash after a marathon baking session.

It was in a big ziplock storage bag, along with some copper cookie cutters, also thought lost, and an old butter knife.  In any event, nice to know I did not toss them out.

After "losing" the dough divider, I had to haul out my "vintage" one, the straight bar type, "adjustable" in that the cutting discs can be loosened and slid along the bar but each division has to be measured.

I don't bake as much as I used to so this may end up in an auction.  But it is a gadget that I do love.  Once upon a time it cut a lot of puff pastry, cookie dough, caramels, brownies and etc.

HPIM8312.JPG

HPIM8313.JPG

• Like 8

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

That's a brilliant design, and new to me. I wonder whether those are still made - and if not, why not?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Because you can't apply equal/even cutting pressure on all the rolling cutters. 

dcarch

Because you can't apply equal/even cutting pressure on all the rolling cutters. 

dcarch

No one has told Ateco that.  They sell at lest two different versions of that tool.  it's a cutting tool, so the unevent pressure matters very little.  As long as the cutter with the lightest pressure is pressed hard enough to cut, they'll all work.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Found this today. You draw the stem through the appropriate sized hole and the stem is left in your hand and the thyme on the other side. Should be good for rosemary and other twiggy herbs as well.

This will save so much time. Very Happy. Amazon link here.

IMG_3969.jpg

Edited by lesliec
eG-friendly Amazon link (log)
  • Like 2

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

On 12/4/2015 at 11:12 AM, Smithy said:

That's a brilliant design, and new to me. I wonder whether those are still made - and if not, why not?

Yes. They are still made.  With fewer blades and even more blades, (7) and with smaller diameter wheels.

I put it on eBay and it sold immediately and is already in the hands of the buyer.

I still have the one with the bar, which has 8 cutting wheels which have to be repositioned one by one with the use of an allen wrench.

I never had a problem with uneven pressure.  This one is sturdy enough and the stainless steel is rigid enough that even cutting is easy.  Maybe when first used, one might have a problem but the learning curve is very shallow and these save a huge amount of time and insure that each piece is the same size.

Actually the bar cutter has 10 blades, there are just two not on the bar, in the bag with the allen wrenches (2, an extra in case the first is lost).

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I saw one of these Pizzeria Pronto Stovetop Pizza Ovens demonstrated  a few days ago and got one of the brochures.  

I was quite impressed with the results they got with a portable propane burner - one of the higher output types made for the

portable turkey fryers.  

Right now it is only available through Williams-Sonoma but in February will be sold by Pizzacraft - a vendor that I have used in the past. (round ceramic pizza stone with HANDLES which make it easy to position).

Has anyone else seen one or tried using one?  

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a spare ten grand and lots of kitchen space, you too can afford the GE Monogram Pizza Oven.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Attended the gift show in Toronto today - Microplane has a couple of new things - something for ginger and a couple of little boxes for garlic, one for shreds, the other for slices.

But the thing that caught my eye was some neat looking items for fermentation - Mortier Pilon products - their fermentation crocks have a simple water seal on the top that looks like they would work a treat.

• Like 2

I have a couple of the crockery fermentation crocks.  One has never been used.  I'm going to put it on ebay when I can find the instructions (which should be inside the thing) and figure out how to package it because it is extremely heavy.

@Kerry Beal

These crocks look much more modern and appealing. I find though that their web site is somewhat annoying. I gather that the crocks are not yet available?  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think that might be the case - she mentioned something about prototype when I pointed to a feature.  Seems the be the same company that handles modernist kits and the sphericator

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think that might be the case - she mentioned something about prototype when I pointed to a feature.  Seems the be the same company that handles modernist kits and the sphericator

Interesting. Will wait to see how they go forward.  Am going to dip one toe into the fermenting pool as soon as circumstances allow. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Interesting. Will wait to see how they go forward.  Am going to dip one toe into the fermenting pool as soon as circumstances allow. 

Why not just start out with the lowly Mason jar, fitted with an airlock top?

15 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Why not just start out with the lowly Mason jar, fitted with an airlock top?

I intend to but I am still interested in the greater capacity of these. Not the same thing as saying I'll buy one. A mason jar may be all I need. Toys, toys, toys. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

I intend to but I am still interested in the greater capacity of these. Not the same thing as saying I'll buy one. A mason jar may be all I need. Toys, toys, toys. 

Hi, Anna:

Get what you like, but there are some pretty large Mason jars out there.

The joy of cooking isn't just the title of the book but a way of life for some of us. Toys enhance the joy as do new ingredients, new recipes, new ideas.  It's a never ending adventure.   

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

The joy of cooking isn't just the title of the book but a way of life for some of us. Toys enhance the joy as do new ingredients, new recipes, new ideas.  It's a never ending adventure.   

Amen.

When my DW and I are at Target or Walmart I almost invariably take a pass through the kitchen wares department. Quite often as I split off to go over to the kitchen wares I repeat my tongue-in-cheek reason: "I may find the one new thing that will change my life forever."  (I say the same thing when thrift shopping.)

While not new in kitchen gadgets I will say that the discovery of the Charles Viancin Silicone Cover pot/bowl covers has allowed me to stop using foil to cover bowls to keep things warm while finish up a meal, I made a traditional pork roast with root vegetables for dinner last night. Potatoes into a bowl, cover with a CVSC, Carrots into a bowl,cover with a CVSC, onions into a bowl, cover with a CVSC, make pan-drippings gravy, cover the saucier with a CVSC, keeping it all warm while I then carved the roast.

• Like 6

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

31 minutes ago, Porthos said:

While not new in kitchen gadgets I will say that the discovery of the Charles Viancin Silicone Cover pot/bowl covers has allowed me to stop using foil to cover bowls to keep things warm while finish up a meal, I made a traditional pork roast with root vegetables for dinner last night. Potatoes into a bowl, cover with a CVSC, Carrots into a bowl,cover with a CVSC, onions into a bowl, cover with a CVSC, make pan-drippings gravy, cover the saucier with a CVSC, keeping it all warm while I then carved the roast.

Good gracious...I just went to Mr. Viancin's website and was blown away 9_9 by his video.  Who knew?  Life is starting to feel just a tad empty on this end.  :P

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

58 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Good gracious...I just went to Mr. Viancin's website and was blown away 9_9 by his video.  Who knew?  Life is starting to feel just a tad empty on this end.  :P

I bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond - using the 20% coupons , of course.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;