• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food and Wine Pairings

oliva

• 1 year later...

You might just want to read up more on wine pairing in general, and go on a few tasting expeditions to some local wine shops. Just knowing that a meal will be vegan doesn't really help at all with pairing. You've got to look at the actual foods themselves and then decide.

There are vegan wines, BTW. There isn't an enormous selection, but, I have had some very tasty bottles -especially from Oregon. Ask about them at your local wine shop.

To elaborate on what Lisa Shock has said; most wine is not suitable for vegans because the fining (clarifying) process involves animal products, namely blood powder, isinglass from fish bladders, casein from milk, egg whites and gelatin, so this will probably be the first consideration when choosing what to drink. Most beer is made without animal products but not all.

ETA Welcome to the site Peter!

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

• 4 weeks later...

The information can be difficult to come by for any particular wine, but many wines are unfined, and yet others are fined using bentonite. I'd advocate forming a relationship with your wine store operator and letting them help you make selections based upon your criteria.

As for pairing, most dishes are best paired to the sauce (if their is one) rather than general practice of pairing to the protein. More importantly, drink what you like. Off-dry wines pair broadly because of their acidity and residual sugar. Many rosés are also easy to pair with a variety of dishes. While some pairings create a certain synergy, more often that not you are just looking to prevent pairings that clash. In my opinion, the whole practice of wine and food pairing is overly mystified. And quite often pairings that should work (or not work) in theory can still be surprising in practice.

DISCLAIMER: I'm industry... so there.

Beverage Director, AGE Dining Group

OKC, Oklahoma

• 1 month later...

Hello Peter.

I don't know how typical I am, but when I cook lunch I need to think of the wine which will go with it.

As already pointed out, this is personal and often hit-miss. However, I've found:

• Tomatoey dishes tend to go with light, uncomplicated Italian reds. I think dishes such as 'The Imam Swooned' do, as well.

• Dishes with a strong olive/ lemony zing - try Greek Retsina (if you can still get it).

• Orientals (with ginger, soy sauce, etc.) German or Alsace medium dry acidic wines.

• High spice dishes (eg. vegan chilli, Moroccan tagine) I stick to beer - light Belgian 'blonde' for instance.

The range of vegan dishes you can cook is really wide, and we eat them often because we like them. Because I'm not vegan, though, I can't add anything to the advice about authentically vegan wine.

• 5 years later...

I’m planning a starter of scallops, crab leg meat and prawns with uni butter sauce.  Wondering if the uni sauce would change the typical wine pairing of Sylvaner, Riesling, champagne, etc for scallops.

Edited by ekfc63 (log)

Maybe try a Shōchū? It's more alcoholic than wine, but can be very refreshing and pairs with light flavors. I have had yuzu scented types that were very refreshing. I like citrus paired with the fragrance of the ocean.

I'd also look into a dry rosé, I like them for the light character with slightly less acid and more complex flavors than most whites. I think the industry still has not recovered from the 1980s, when big producers pushed a lot of bad, sickly-sweet rosés onto the mass-market and created a damaging image for the whole category. My ultimate recommendation would be for Veuve Clicquot vintage rosé, but, I recognize that it may be beyond the means of your guests.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I asked for recommendations for pairing food/wine for a New Years menu and got many excellent suggestions in. I listed the suggestions with the courses and am now looking to pair things from my cellar. I was wondering if you guys could be so kind as to have a look at my cellar and help pair things from there.

The available cellar is this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zw...OPF-Pf4fCk/view

Since it is New Year: no price range. The best match and oldest wines prefered!

The Menu and my thoughts:

///////////////////////////////
*Lobster salad *

*Grapefruit - fregula - apple - candied tomato - cocktail sauce *

Suggestions from you guys:

Champagne: type

Blanc de Blancs

Taittinger Comtes

Pierre Peters Grand Cru BdB Cuvée de Reserve

Pol Roger Blanc de Blancs

Pierre Peters Chetillons

Ruinart Blanc de Blanc

From my Cellar: Unsure. Many available options. The Ruinart Blanc de Blancs might work?

*‘Cappuccino’ of ground chicory - scallops - chive cream *

*Toast of chicory, bacon and Reypenaer [type of cheese] *

Suggestions from you guys(also with next course):

White Burgundy

Girardin 1er Vineyard designate Meursaults , richer

Corton Charlemagne is awesome. (C-C Quintessence .

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey 1er Cru single vineyard St Aubins are excellent

Comtes Lafon Meursault les Charmes.

Kumeu River Chardonnay Hunting Hill. (Mate’s and even the basic Estate “Chardonnay Kumeu” are also good.)

Puligny-Montrachet

Chablis

Sancerre

South African SB

Sauvignon Blanc with a bit of Semillon

Sec or Demi-Sec Vouvray

From my Cellar: Unsure. Many available options. Is there a good solid older white that would work in your opinion?

*Brill [Fish, similar to Turbot] 'à la nage' with Zeeland mussels, gray shrimps and chestnut mushrooms *

*Foamy crustacean sauce *

Suggestions (see previous course)

*Crispy fried veal cheek and thymus [ also known as neck sweetbread ; veal sweetbread] *

*Mousselines of celeriac and parsnip - croquettes of polenta - spring rolls of forest mushrooms - sauce of Porto *

Suggestions from you guys:

red Burgundy

Burgundy from Beaune

Chambolle-Musigny

*morey or Gevrey

Bourdeaux

Cru Beaujolais

rustic Rhone (north or south),

St Joseph (Strong)
rustic Barolo.

Rioja Roda I would be great, though Spanish wines didn’t really come to mind.

Burlotto Monvigliero
Jamet Cote-Rotie

Nebbiolo

Chateau-neuf-du-pape

Pegau, Donjon, etc. I love Pegau.
Pintia

Domaine des Lambrays CdL with a little age or Bachelet Corbeaux with a little age or de Montille 1er Cru Volnays or Foillard Morgon Cote du Py

From my Cellar: Again Unsure. Many available options. I'd prefer something on the stronger side, I guess.

*Apple pie from the oven with figs, raisins and pistachios * *'Globe' of bitter chocolate with speculaas ice cream *

Here I know: D'Oliveira Verdelho Madeira 1966

Any help is much appreciated! Looking forward to suggestions.

Wine Cellar (2).xlsx

Edited by kalenden (log)

I'm afraid I would be out of my depth to suggest choices from your cellar, but I'll point out that your Google Drive document requires access by another Google member, and your approval. Perhaps you could post the document here, so members could see it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 4 months later...

I found a lamb shoulder on the cheap and the market is brimming with fresh apricots from the Mediterranean coast. I found a recipe from River Cottage Fruit for slow roast lamb shoulder with spiced apricot sauce. The ingredients are listed below. I assume I should have this with a red wine, but what type? Since I live in Switzerland on the French border,  I have easy access to  Swiss and French wines. Other countries are as rare as a dog that speaks Norwegian. Any advice will be appreciated. 

Ingredients 
1 shoulder of mature lamb, or mutton or hogget, on the bone 
A little olive oil, to trickle 
2 tsp fennel seeds 
3 tsp coriander seeds 
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half 
10 cardamom pods 
1 tsp black peppercorns 
2 star anise 
2 tsp dried chilli flakes 
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika 
10–12 apricots, halved and stoned 
4 garlic cloves, finely sliced 
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper 
Mint leaves, to finish (optional)

Many Thanks!

• Like 1

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I'd go with a full-bodied, spicy Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

Try a Bordeaux from the Pomerol region, which are predominately  Merlot. Should be a great match with your lamb dish.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

On 5/20/2019 at 8:38 PM, Alex said:

I'd go with a full-bodied, spicy Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a rare breed and hard to find. There is only one kosher wine from this appellation.  I was in luck and found it at the kosher market. It was an amazing wine. Thanks for the suggestion!

IMG_20190429_071715.jpg

Edited by DanM (log)
  • Like 1

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

You're welcome. Congratulations on your luck -- that's a good one. I'm glad you found it. So how was the lamb?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

• 1 month later...