• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

1 hour ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Not mentioned however wouldn't this be a simple tool to eat congee with. Suck up the rice gruel and fish out the additions. 

It wouldn't work with congee unless the congee was super thin  and then you'd be sucking up  the water the rice was cooked in. (Although the original meaning of the word 'congee' is derived from, the Tamil kañji, did refer to that water.

The water in which rice has been boiled; used as an article of diet for invalids, and as starch.

Normal 'rice gruel' is too thick.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, haresfur said:

Btw, I'm unclear from the discussion whether the stores are providing and presumably cleaning the straws or if people bring their own.

Both. Some of the many milk tea places in town do supply them, but I've also see people carrying them, usually girls with their handbags.

They're not that difficult to clean. Also they are cheap to make (mine cost $1 USD but that was retail) but reusable, saving money in the long term. Non-disposable is becoming a buzzword here in recent years.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This popped up when I was watching some YouTube videos.  Some of these things look like they may be useful for some folks at some time.  I like the carrot slicer and the hand pie maker ... anything appeal to you, even if just for curiosity's sake?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3lRrkJfnfM8?feature=share

... Shel