• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Toppings: Simple/Elaborate, Traditional/Unusual

stagis

bleah.gif

Damn, Mark, how'd you do that???

Myself, I'm a total bore. I love pepperoni

Just a little editing on the :shock: smiley. Did one for eating habaneros too... firesmile.gif

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Pizza margherita: the Platonic ideal of pizza.  Any subtractions leave the pizza incomplete; any additions would be superfluous.

A crust topped with tequila, lime and triple sec? :cool:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

One word: pickle pizza.

"There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't." :biggrin:

:laugh:

A crust topped with tequila, lime and triple sec? 

You guys are killing me! :laugh:

Can I hear more about the pickle pizza? I'm reserving judgement until I hear the whole story.

Pizza margherita: the Platonic ideal of pizza.  Any subtractions leave the pizza incomplete; any additions would be superfluous.

A crust topped with tequila, lime and triple sec? :cool:

The trick is keeping the crushed ice from melting...

Great, I've been inspired to make pizza tonight. I'm thinking if there's leftover dough we'll finish with a dessert pizza, something I've eaten but never made at home.

I might brush the crust with melted butter and top it with apples slices lightly sauted with cinnamon. No idea if that would be gross or not.

Any ideas?

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

One word: pickle pizza.

"There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't." :biggrin:

:laugh:

A crust topped with tequila, lime and triple sec? 

You guys are killing me! :laugh:

Can I hear more about the pickle pizza? I'm reserving judgement until I hear the whole story.

I've been slipping dill pickles onto pizza forever, but then I'm a bit of a pickle freak. I'm a big fan of the way a pickle cuts the unctuousness of rich foods, like the way olives can in a braise. I love them on nachos too, paired with fresh jalapenos.

And it's really not all that weird, especially if you leave the tomato sauce out of the equation. Think, for example, of the childhood lunch staple of grilled cheese sandwich with pickles: bread, cheese and pickles, the same components as in my basic pickle pizza. Think of a cheeseburger, or any number of deli sandwichs or subs: bread, cheese, meat and, among other things, pickles. So there you go, ham and cheese pizza with pickles, with maybe a bit of mustard. And then there's raclette. What's that but a deconstucted pickle pizza? I say reunite those ingredients and bake them in a pie where they belong.

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

And it's really not all that weird, especially if you leave the tomato sauce out of the equation.  Think, for example, of the childhood lunch staple of grilled cheese sandwich with pickles: bread, cheese and pickles, the same components as in my basic pickle pizza. Think of a cheeseburger, or any number of deli sandwichs or subs: bread, cheese, meat and, among other things, pickles.  So there you go, ham and cheese pizza with pickles, with maybe a  bit of mustard.  And then there's raclette. What's that but a deconstucted pickle pizza? I say reunite those ingredients and bake them in a pie where they belong.

Well, I'm glad you take tomatoes out of the picture. That was skeeving me out. I LOVE pickles and cheese. BUT I can't deal with hot pickles. I could see baking the pizza and adding the pickles after as I eat. Do you drink the brine?

Kimchi.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Kimchi.

No kimchi - steak!

Kimchi and steak.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Kimchi.

No kimchi - steak!

Kimchi and steak.

. . . and bacon. Kimchi, steak, and bacon!

No pizza. Kimchi, steak, bacon.

mushrooms are the most important, after the cheese. If using goat or another non traditional cheese, make sure it is the full fat content cheese...I've been at Pizza parties where the hostess opted for Coach Farms lite goat cheese...and other assorted low fat toppings..you need twice as much, they don't have the same flavor, and they just don't melt!

Edited by Kim WB (log)

mushrooms are the most important, after the cheese. If using goat or another non traditional cheese, make sure it is the full fat content cheese...I've been at Pizza parties where the hostess opted for Coach Farms lite goat cheese...and other assorted low fat toppings..you need twice as much, they don't have the same flavor, and they just don't melt!

Coach Farms makes a light goat cheese?

What a waste for pizza.

Recently, I did a pizza with pecorino (+ a little mozzarella), red swiss chard, tomatoes, and proscuitto.

Edited by nerissa (log)

Coach Farms makes a light goat cheese?

What a waste for pizza. 

Yes, they dol...it sells out quickly at the local Princeton WEgman's...It has good flavor, but the texture suffers. It's good served right out of the fridge, a bit of jarred sun dried tomatoes and a corner of whole wheat sahara bread...but no "meltability" ( is that a word??) and when it softens, it crumbles.

One thought regarding sauce: we recently had a really nice "fra diavolo" pie at a pizza place in North Jersey -- like really far north, up near Mahwah. It was the same as the regular pizza being offered, but the sauce was enhanced by various spices, mostly red pepper I think.

My brother, who is a huge fan of that far-north Jersey place (obviously this has got to be Kinchley's, in Ramsey--which is significant enough that people SHOULD actually travel for it) told me tonight that the killer magic combo there is fra diavolo and MEATBALLS, which I would not have thought of.

Personally, the one "topping" I refuse to have most pizza without is fresh garlic.

In terms of favorite flavor combos--ingredients I love paired--I'd say "bacon and pineapple" and "sausage and onions". I've never found a proper "pairing" for pepperoni though. It's got to balance the meat/vege savory/sweet equation like the other combos.

I'm anti-mushroom and anti-anchovy though, so I'm missing a couple of possibilities.

Proscuitto is definitely a topping I wish more places had.

I'm very conflicted on the fresh mozarella issue. Some of the best pizza I've ever had used fresh. But also, some of the best I've had HASN'T.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"