• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Toppings: Simple/Elaborate, Traditional/Unusual

stagis

Roast zucchini, onions, tomatoes, eggplant in the oven with olive oil, S&P, herbs. Provolone.

Artichoke hearts, capers, Kalamatas, crushed red pepper, fresh mozzarella, tomato. YUM.

Spinach & feta.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

tomato, mozzarella and eggs, a la slkinsey .... more info please... :smile:

Scroll down on this thread.

I haven't tried it yet, but it's on the menu this week at the Dave's Short-Order Kitchen.

I'll be waiting for a complete report, please.

Hmm... add some pancetta or bacon, and I do believe you might have the world's most perfect breakfast.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Hmm... add some pancetta or bacon, and I do believe you might have the world's most perfect breakfast.

I thought it had to be vegetarian toppings?

Well yeah, you're right.

But bacon is a food category all by itself, necessary to long life, wisdom, and incredible physical beauty. Sometimes I plumb forget it's merely meat.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

tomato, mozzarella and eggs, a la slkinsey .... more info please... :smile:

Make a regular tomato sauce/mozzarella pizza (going very light on the cheese), then carefully crack several eggs right on the crust right before you slide it onto the baking stone (you're going for maybe 1/2 of the pizza surface covered by egg). The eggs will "fry" right on the crust. Take it out of the oven when the yolks are still nice and runny. Sprinkle with minced parsley and drizzle with evoo. This recipe only works with a well-heated baking stone and a thin crust (otherwise, the heat doesn't come through to fry the eggs). I like to make this one with thinly sliced with home-roasted red peppers sparsely strewn across the top before adding the eggs.

Some other interesting vegetarian pizze: Make a regular tomato/mozzarella pizza (easy on the toppings as always) and then top the pizza out of the oven with a salad of mixed wild/bitter greens and thinly sliced red onion dressed with the very best evoo (I usually add a covering of prosciutto, but that isn't exactly vegetarian); fresh (not canned!) slices of artichoke sauteed in evoo until brown and crispy are delicious on a pizza with a little red onion; make a pizza crust with no tomato or mozzarella -- instead top the pizza liberally with greens you have blanched and sauteed in evoo with garlic and crushed red pepper... at the last minute, throw on some dollops of strachino cheese (tangy mild soft cheese from "tired cows"); and, there is always fresh (or even frozen) porcini mushrooms drizzled with the very best evoo and sprinkled with an interesting sea salt at the table.

--

but i often top with roasted pepperoncini.  i like the acidic bite.  i'm a freak for acidity.

Hot pepper rings - you know, the pickled ones.

I don't think you sound silly Tommy.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Artichoke hearts

YES YES YES!

Now you've inspired me. I have a few jars of artichoke paste -- mmm, use that instead of tomato, add artichoke hearts, herbs, cheese, maybe a few mushrooms for a white pizza. But I may have to wait a couple of days, since tonight is already stewed lamb with artichokes. Can't have too many artichokes, though, can you? :raz:

Well yeah, you're right.

But bacon is a food category all by itself, necessary to long life, wisdom, and incredible physical beauty. Sometimes I plumb forget it's merely meat.

I understand and share your enthusiasm :biggrin::biggrin:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Well yeah, you're right.

I understand and share your enthusiasm :biggrin::biggrin:

No bacon. Guanciale.

--

i make my own version of Thincrust Bobili pizza. My husband says it's better than any he has had in a restaurant.

I first brush the pizza base with olive oil... I next put a small amount of sauce...

I always use more than one kind of cheese. 3 preferably. Mozzarella, cheddar, and sometimes monteray jack..

I usually do a 'veggie' kind since I'm not find of meat on pizza.

I will use onions, mushrooms (which i chop up), and a red or orange pepper.

After assembling, I also grate on some Percorino, and lastly, add parsley, basil, crushed red pepper for some kick, and oregeno.

Fig paste and Goat cheese

Yes. I forgot to mention that one. It's very un-traditional, but I do like a pizza with fig preserves, gorgonzola, ruccola and sea salt (the greens added off the heat). No pom/mozz on this one, of course.

--

Pesto, chopped sundried tomatoes, crumbled goat cheese, a very light sprinkling of hot pepper flakes.

Simpler is better, imho.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Of course cheese and eggs aren't vegetarian either...

Well, if you really want to get technical, neither would anything with tomato... since a tomato is a fruit and not a vegetable. :wink:

With pizza, I think it is usual to suppose "lacto-ovo vegetarian." Of course, my idea of vegetarian is greens cooked with smoked ham hocks... but that is for another day. :biggrin:

--

All fruits are vegetables but not all vegetables are fruits. The seed bearing bodies of the vegetable kingdom are botanically considered fruits. As far as I know I've not heard of a vegetarian denied fruits, unless they are also on Adkins. :raz: Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squash, olives and gourds are all fruits. Tubers (potatoes), Plant stalks (celery), and leaves (greens) are also vegetables but are not fruits.

Niether dairy products nor eggs are derived from plants, and are obviously not vegetables.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Hope I'm not too late (if so it would be for the records)

1. Grilled eggplantes, feta, black olives, red onion.

2. On ready baked "empty" pizza doh,lots of arugula, EVOO, parmeggian shavings

3. Mozzerela + pesto sauce

Happy dinner!

Boaziko

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/