• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned sardines & other tinned seafood

wannabechef

• 1 month later...

Well I'm back!

IMG_20230401_140730.thumb.jpg.8df05a1983abce69733b88249a249b99.jpg

I'm back at my mate Eddie's in Portugal, with the family this time. If I squeeze in a can a day it will be breakfast and snacks.

I've brought check-in luggage, so i hope to bring back quite a bit of stuff of various sorts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

One of the things I love eating in Portugal is grilled sardines, but they seem to be out of season.

I took a day trip to Portamao. The main museum is the converted La Rose sardine canning factory.

IMG-20230409-WA0010.thumb.jpg.9654e5cb79b161d5a37464b2711f1c36.jpg

IMG-20230409-WA0009(1).thumb.jpg.738fd0af5b737907fc403c028644ff2a.jpg

IMG_20230407_132150.thumb.jpg.35762e4a510c25f454d2fa2a06cfdfd6.jpg

The tins were stamped and shaped from the sheet metal right on site.

IMG-20230409-WA0011.thumb.jpg.dfd984378790ff27e9f67286f5867e6a.jpg,

IMG-20230409-WA0036.thumb.jpg.4a10b2ae9c5d53a29260f8b8eca161a8.jpg

IMG_20230407_133009.thumb.jpg.078efaab399ae23216ae749420223629.jpg

IMG-20230409-WA0035.thumb.jpg.3e62b4e0ddf0123cb39a7192e33da905.jpg

Very interesting museum, great walking through the factory and touching the actual machines.

IMG-20230409-WA0037.thumb.jpg.8fe128d6030c3ff35031ef440d30bd78.jpg

IMG_20230407_133529.thumb.jpg.f743b27f0259daa27ccc917cc8c5c7f5.jpgSardines seemed to have been much plumper in those days.

IMG_20230407_132604.thumb.jpg.443d27a45532d62a42dbdf36cb5fc223.jpg

Anyway, I picked up a couple a few La Rose tins from the local supermarket.

IMG_20230409_122653.thumb.jpg.5d0a2d067cf29281f821a6bfd402aa98.jpg

The wife says I eat a can in a day, so it will only take me a couple of weeks to get through this lot!

Edited by Kerala
Double image (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

The museum is about 2/3+ devoted to the sardine canning history. There's a Portuguese black and white documentary shot back in the 50's that feels like a jolly Pathe newsreel, subtitled in English and French. The process shown is very close to the Pinhais factory clips earlier in this thread, so Pinhais at least is staying true to tradition.

It's very worrying how much smaller current day sardines are compared to what we see in the documentary and in the representations at the museum.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kerala said:

The museum is about 2/3+ devoted to the sardine canning history. There's a Portuguese black and white documentary shot back in the 50's that feels like a jolly Pathe newsreel, subtitled in English and French. The process shown is very close to the Pinhais factory clips earlier in this thread, so Pinhais at least is staying true to tradition.

It's very worrying how much smaller current day sardines are compared to what we see in the documentary and in the representations at the museum.

Do you mean the actual physical size of the sardine or the idustry? If the former - is itbecause they are not letting them get to size before harvesting or environmental factors?  Love seeing your enthusiam for them. My area was the heart of the tuna canning industry back in the day and I grew up wth the families of the fisermen.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerala said:

@heidih

I  am worried that we are harvesting them young.

I'm not sure it's that. The term 'sardine' is ill defined and can cover many species and legal definitions vary from country to country. In the UK. the official definition is a young pilchard less than 6" long.

Many fish sold as sardines are actually youmg herring. Or sprats.

Sardines here in China are very different to what you might get in the UK or the rest of Europe.

Chinesesardines.thumb.jpg.d7ed1922076ca03afe06d3a3c662e9b1.jpg

Chinese sardines - 沙丁鱼 (shā dīng yú)

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

The sardines shown in the documentary and the model sardines at the museum were larger than any I've ever bought in a tin. Having said that, the sardines I've hadScreenshot_20230410-170856.thumb.jpg.da8f50528656624b35e128ffc4c8b7e8.jpg fresh and grilled in Portugal were larger.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

2 minutes ago, Kerala said:

@liuzhou

The sardines shown in the documentary and the model sardines at the museum were larger than any I've ever bought in a tin. Having said that, the sardines I've had fresh and grilled in Portugal were larger.

The best sardines I've ever eaten, maybe the best meal, were near my then second home near Perpignan in southwest France, near the border with Spain. They were freshly landed from the Mediterranean and grilled / BBQd on a wharf by fishermen for some religious festival - Assumption Day, I think. Much larger than anything I've ever encountered in a can. I doubt you could  get one in a standard sardine can.

That was almost 40 years ago and I still think of it every time I eat sardines.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 4 weeks later...

Last night's dinner was a tin of Matiz wild small sardines with sweet piquillo peppers.  Very good I thought.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

56 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night's dinner was a tin of Matiz wild small sardines with sweet piquillo peppers.  Very good I thought.

Yes, I keep those in stock. Very nice for a single portion, the tin being a little bit smaller than most regular sized sardines. They are mild and delicate. I wish they would sneak in just a bit more of those peppers, they have nice flavor, not at all hot.

For general use I like the regular size Matiz. More sardines for the money, not quite as cute, though and not quite as mild as the small ones.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 4:37 PM, Katie Meadow said:

I wish they would sneak in just a bit more of those peppers, they have nice flavor, not at all hot.

Just now I found a jar of Matiz piquillo peppers in my bedroom.  Check yours.

• Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...

I think it was last fall that this topic inspired me to buy sardines. It's been a long time since I've done so, probably because the last few times I tried to feed sardines to someone I ended up eating them all myself.

This time, eating them all myself hasn't seemed a difficulty. I opened the tin last night and added a couple of filets to my dinner salad. Just now I did the same for a lunch salad. Anyone who claims sardines are "fishy" hasn't had good ones. These are good: firm, meaty, not bony that I can tell. The bottom photos shows what's left after today's lunch.

20230714_140809.jpg

I think I got these at Walmart, of all places. 

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple products I always have in the pantry. The first are Ramon Pena spicy mussels in olive oil with garlic and chilli pepper (silver line, 16/20 count). Nothing in the tin but beautiful mussels and mildly spicy oil (previously infused with chilli and garlic which have since been removed). Despite being billed as spicy, they are quite tame. The slight heat and (very) light garlic flavor are a delicious alternative to the classic mussels in escabeche. These are the perfect snacking mussel with a beer and some potato chips. You can find these online from several vendors (and on Amazon). I got these from Caputo's Market for $7.99. RP's mussels are the best I've ever had.

F19B0DA5-9208-4188-B095-ECD1FB0B04BD.thumb.jpeg.fe7690c3e448abf9aec92812b31d5e03.jpeg

DSC03773.thumb.JPG.c8429567ae7d2a0c4ecc5f5624398f16.JPG

81024963-30CC-4F26-9A5E-1392962A8C45.thumb.jpeg.a308db6dbd0bb50687b1fea50dfbbdc3.jpeg

I'm also a big fan of the Tonnino yellowfin tuna loin in olive oil, but particularly the jalapeno variety. The oil in this one has some heat to it, but nothing crazy. More than those Europeans seem to ever want to use, but nothing that will shock the American palate. These are always beautifully packed with great looking chunks of loin that you can easily flake into larger pieces. The oil serves as a really quite great spicy sauce to help lubricate the fish (which, being tuna, tends to be somewhat dry). It's good over rice. And strangely, I find myself eating it alongside (and sometimes on top of) a toasted English muffin. I don't know why. It doesn't make sense a priori, but experience tells a different story...

DSC04212.thumb.jpeg.2ea0276e9dbfdc2c6c7b7580f77b19f4.jpeg

DSC04223.thumb.jpeg.bebf6da6ac2d99decddb94fde0216ca5.jpeg

DSC04238.thumb.jpeg.a07fe60362cd0a988250be6bdc80d105.jpeg

DSC04264.thumb.jpeg.abd863da499d0cfa613ca9ebfce2a410.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Here are a couple products I always have in the pantry. The first are Ramon Pena spicy mussels in olive oil with garlic and chilli pepper (silver line, 16/20 count). Nothing in the tin but beautiful mussels and mildly spicy oil (previously infused with chilli and garlic which have since been removed). Despite being billed as spicy, they are quite tame. The slight heat and (very) light garlic flavor are a delicious alternative to the classic mussels in escabeche. These are the perfect snacking mussel with a beer and some potato chips. You can find these online from several vendors (and on Amazon). I got these from Caputo's Market for $7.99. RP's mussels are the best I've ever had.

DSC03773.thumb.JPG.c8429567ae7d2a0c4ecc5f5624398f16.JPG

Huîtres fumées were a lunch staple when I was doing geology in northern Canada. Usually eaten by stabbing with your sheath knife along with a sandwich of some sort. Quite inexpensive when the company was paying to fly them in.

• Like 4

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

My new favourite tinned fish is King Oscar Mackerel Fillets Mediterranean Style.  My most recent mistake was trying John West Smoked Oysters in Sunflower Oil.  I thought oysters were a premium product - why would they do such a thing to them?!

Edited by Susanwusan (log)
  • Like 2

That KO Med Mack is hard to beat. Sorry to hear about your bad oyster experience. Fresh oysters are somewhat of a luxury, at least these days. But strangely canned oysters seem to be almost exclusively low end budget brands that seem gross and scary. But lots of people seem to like eating them on saltines with hot sauce or whatever. Not for me. While there are lots of high end canned mussels and clams -- I dream of trying the Ramon Pena gold line clams one day -- premium tinned oysters are a rarity. Rainbow Tomatoes Garden, which boasts the largest variety of tinned seafood in the world, only offers oysters from Ekone Oyster Company. Oyster conservas don't seem to be much of a thing in Spain or Portugal. Maybe there's a lesson here...

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 3:12 PM, Smithy said:

I think it was last fall that this topic inspired me to buy sardines. It's been a long time since I've done so, probably because the last few times I tried to feed sardines to someone I ended up eating them all myself.

This time, eating them all myself hasn't seemed a difficulty. I opened the tin last night and added a couple of filets to my dinner salad. Just now I did the same for a lunch salad. Anyone who claims sardines are "fishy" hasn't had good ones. These are good: firm, meaty, not bony that I can tell. The bottom photos shows what's left after today's lunch.

20230714_140809.jpg

I think I got these at Walmart, of all places. 

I like the Season brand well enough but have had other brands that have  larger filets.   I’m partial to sardines that are with bones and skin.  Figured the bones are adding some calcium to my diet

• 2 months later...

I still have a few cans of fishies left from Portugal. So for lunch today:

PXL_20240109_154535574.thumb.jpg.c0fbe3b4dfb119705589eaf230bf5615.jpg

Wonderful. A very light taste, firm texture.  I ate the whole can on two slices of toast, splashed with the olive oil and just a dash of Tabasco. Glass of Sancerre to accompany.

• Like 9