• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Secreto steak and other cuts of pork

rotuts

There is no secrecy regarding "secreto". It is a small cut that needed the arrival of large farms to reach general customer. Just like lagarto, presa or pluma, secreto has been known at least since the first time I heard of (~35 years ago). Once the production of Iberian pigs growth enough, it hit the market (I mean, years ago it was only known in the areas where those porks were raised, still some cuts and even some cured meats like lomo doblado or lomito are hard to impossible to find in a random supermarket away from the producing regions).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, farcego said:

There is no secrecy regarding "secreto". It is a small cut that needed the arrival of large farms to reach general customer. Just like lagarto, presa or pluma, secreto has been known at least since the first time I heard of (~35 years ago). Once the production of Iberian pigs growth enough, it hit the market (I mean, years ago it was only known in the areas where those porks were raised, still some cuts and even some cured meats like lomo doblado or lomito are hard to impossible to find in a random supermarket away from the producing regions).

Well - tell us where the cut is from on the pig...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

20 hours ago, weinoo said:

Well - tell us where the cut is from on the pig...

This may be the best link, as it offer an English equivalent for the cuts depicted (I have no idea of accurate the English names may be,). 

https://www.elespanol.com/cocinillas/recetas/carne/20190305/diferencias-secreto-lagarto-abanico-carrillera-solomillo-iberico/1001518898097_30.html

Have a nice day :)

• Like 2

I guess the term "deckle" has evolved from what it originally meant, which was basically the point cut of a whole brisket. And this:

A deckle of beef is the portion of meat that wraps around the outside of the ribeye. Specifically, the deckle is the spinalis dorsi muscle which is the outer portion of a beef ribeye roll, the subprimal where ribeye steaks and prime rib are sourced.

Known as the cap of ribeye, ribeye cap, spinalis and butcher’s butter, this is considered one of the most desirable bites of beef available. This deckle has a buttery, tender texture, is intensely marbled, and possesses a deep beef flavor. 

WHAT IS A WAGYU BRISKET DECKLE?

The Wagyu brisket deckle is known in BBQ circles as the point on a full packer brisket. A full beef brisket is made up of two pieces, the flat (deep pectoral muscle) and the point (superficial pectoral muscle). According to the North American Meat Processors Association (NAMP), the deckle is the hard fat and intercostal meat on the inside surface of the brisket, but this is removed to produce a full packer brisket or NAMP 120 Beef Brisket, Deckle Off.

Snake River Farms

Now it apparently includes a similar location on a pig.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?