• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

I use RB40 for a fine anchovy effect 

then don't have to deal w the left over anchovies and that can

I didn't even think of that! Do you have a proportion (so many drops RB40 for 1 anchovy) or is it a guesstimate and taste?

If you wanted to make proper Caesar dressing, would the fish sauce work for that?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy 

Ive been using fish sauce to replace anchovy for a long long time

my caesars has a few drops of RB40 now that that's the only one I stock

but Ive been using 3 crab for caesars for over 25 years if not more.

as the 3Crab bottles were large , I decanted into a smaller plastic bottle 

and kept the larger bottle in a very safe place.

imagine what would happen to your kitchen or PMobile if you dropped a

a bottle of 3 crab ?

I use RB40 to taste .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

@Smithy We may be some 200 miles up-river from you but we're "enjoying" the same windy conditions. 

I could see the potato gratin as a very nice side, but this carnivore would miss his animal protein. Veggie pizza mostly constitute what meatless are for me.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Smithy You keep traveling to places that look like the dark side of the moon.  Ever try the Gulf coast eg Alabama or Louisiana?

You ask a great question, actually -- and at this time of the year, I certainly understand the sentiment!

We used to spend a lot of time along the Gulf Coast: head almost straight south to Mississippi, then east along the Gulf Coast to Florida and family, then back along the Gulf Coast to at least the Bolivar Peninsula and Galveston, sometimes farther south. (If you go back to about page 5, when I took this blog over from @Marlene, you'll see some examples.)

Then the hurricanes started wiping out the areas we liked. We kept thinking it would be better next year, and it wasn't. Instead, the campgrounds we especially liked were wiped out. We do miss the seafood. There were (maybe still are) some great places to get fresh oysters, shrimp, and fish. Even alligator, though I never really cottoned to it. 

Now it seems we're resigned to good-quality grocery store seafood. Not the same thing at all, I know. 

FWIW I was back in the upscale grocery store today, ogling the frozen (cooked, frozen, wild-caught) Dungeness crab and seriously considering buying it. But I have to figure out first what to do with it...including how to get into that shell.

• Like 5

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

@Smithy We may be some 200 miles up-river from you but we're "enjoying" the same windy conditions. 

I could see the potato gratin as a very nice side, but this carnivore would miss his animal protein. Veggie pizza mostly constitute what meatless are for me.

I think *my* carnivore missed his animal protein also. Tonight, we're having his hash with good Texas sausage. 🙂

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I think *my* carnivore missed his animal protein also. Tonight, we're having his hash with good Texas sausage. 🙂

And here it is. The potatoes are considerably more crunchy than last time around. Maybe there's something to his theory that salt pulls moisture out and gets the fried food crunchier.

20231127_183716.jpg

• Like 7

On 11/24/2023 at 2:03 PM, ElsieD said:

If you get it will you share?

I heard back from her, and she's happy to share. 

For review purposes (as rotuts likes to say) this is the cornbread that a friend brought to the Thanksgiving party last week:

image.png

Here's what she wrote:

Hi Nancy, I would be happy to share the recipe with you and whoever.
1 can corn drained
1 can creamed corn
1 8.5 Oz corn muffin mix
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs
Mix all together 
Put in sprayed 9 x 9 pan
Bake 350*
About 45 minutes or a bit more.  I used a toothpick to check it.
For the party I doubled the recipe, it wouldn't all fit in a 9 x 13.

So I was mistaken about its being her copycat version of a favorite restaurant's cornbread. Not very complicated, though. I'll try a single batch here; as it happens, I haven't gotten around to making the scalloped corn my darling likes, so I have the ingredients already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Sorry, that quote function makes it more difficult to read the recipe. Here it is, without being in the "quote" display:

Hi Nancy, I would be happy to share the recipe with you and whoever.

1 can corn drained

1 can creamed corn

1 8.5 Oz corn muffin mix

1 cup sour cream

2 eggs

Mix all together 

Put in sprayed 9 x 9 pan

Bake 350*

About 45 minutes or a bit more.  I used a toothpick to check it.

For the party I doubled the recipe, it wouldn't all fit in a 9 x 13.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the recipe.  I have a six-pack of Jiffy arriving on from Amazon on Thursday.  I have never been able to find it in the stores here.  If any of my fellow Canadians knows of a chain store that sells it, please share!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lindag said:

how odd.  It's everywhere here.

And I'm old enough to remember when it was ten cents a box.

This is my third order of the stuff, all 6-packs.  There are a couple of recipes on the Jiffy site that I have made.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you for the recipe.  I have a six-pack of Jiffy arriving on from Amazon on Thursday.  I have never been able to find it in the stores here.  If any of my fellow Canadians knows of a chain store that sells it, please share!

I have never seen it in any of the B.C. grocery stores.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Like @MaryIsobelI don't think I've seen it in Canadian stores. We used to see the Bob's Red Mill cornbread mix, but I haven't noticed it in awhile. 

You could use of the copycat recipes for the Jiffy Corn Muffin mix and then add the extra cans of corn and sour cream and eggs from the recipe that @Smithyshared. Not quite as convenient, of course. 🙂 

Copycat recipe like this one, for example:

https://fountainavenuekitchen.com/homemade-jiffy-corn-muffin-mix/#blog-recipe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We went to town yesterday for gas, water, and (really, this time) just a few groceries. Along the way I marveled at a restaurant I've been watching go up for the last couple of years. I haven't visited yet (and probably won't) but I finally figured out that its name is Taco Monster.

20231129_121611.jpg

I've wondered what connection, if any, it must have with the Monster energy drink, which I've also never tried but which seems to be everywhere. If no connection, then how could they use that name and logo?

20231129_122723.jpg

Since I wasn't driving yesterday, I had time to take a better look at the logo.

20231129_121609.jpg

The "claw marks" are chili peppers!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I've wondered what connection, if any, it must have with the Monster energy drink, which I've also never tried but which seems to be everywhere. If no connection, then how could they use that name and logo?

A lot of small/independent businesses think that they can get away with copyright and trademark infringement. We had one taco joint here a while back that used an exact copy of Corona beer’s name and logo, they found out otherwise.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

A lot of small/independent businesses think that they can get away with copyright and trademark infringement. We had one taco joint here a while back that used an exact copy of Corona beer’s name and logo, they found out otherwise.

Yes. I wonder whether the Monster Tacos sign has drawn attention yet, or whether it's enough different to not infringe on the trademark? Based on the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling in favor of Jack Daniels against the Bad Spaniels squeaky toy, I suspect Monster Tacos may have trouble some day.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Yes. I wonder whether the Monster Tacos sign has drawn attention yet, or whether it's enough different to not infringe on the trademark? Based on the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling in favor of Jack Daniels against the Bad Spaniels squeaky toy, I suspect Monster Tacos may have trouble some day.

I wonder if they are really big- huge- gigantic tacos?

• Haha 4

My darling has been jonesing for pork roast for some time, and a few days ago we pulled one from the freezer to thaw and cook. Then came the problem of what to cook it in. I left behind my largest Le Creuset Dutch oven this year, figuring that the Lodge cast iron Dutch oven would be good enough. No! he said, it's too small! So was everything else readily available. i sighed. Some years ago I splurged on a Sur la Table double roasting pan for purposes of prime rib cooking. It's all nonstick. The lid and pan are both good for stovetop cooking. But it's big. Too big to fit in any of our cabinets except the one above the TV set. The cabinet that has extra pantry supplies, and office supplies, and trailer manuals, binoculars, electroncis...the list goes on. It fits under the rack that supports office supplies, here.

20231130_145447.jpg

It's too wide to fit between the legs of the rack. The only way for one person to get it out is to unload everything from the cabinet to the left (you can see how much stuff that is) and pull it out sideways. I insisted on getting his help. "Here," I said, "take this. And this, and this, and this..." At last the binoculars, office supplies, and some random jars were out from in front of or atop the rack. I could lift the rack enough to pull the pot out. (I am NOT stowing that pot back in place until we get ready to leave here. It can live out on the deck if necessary.)

Here it is, loaded and ready for the oven. You can see what I mean about the lid being a usable skillet.

20231126_131154.jpg

You can also see that nothing else can fit in the oven at the same time!

20231126_131211.jpg

Still, dinner was good and it was worth the effort.

20231130_145022.jpg

And we have leftovers! Hooray!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Smithy said:

My darling has been jonesing for pork roast for some time, and a few days ago we pulled one from the freezer to thaw and cook. Then came the problem of what to cook it in. I left behind my largest Le Creuset Dutch oven this year, figuring that the Lodge cast iron Dutch oven would be good enough. No! he said, it's too small! So was everything else readily available. i sighed. Some years ago I splurged on a Sur la Table double roasting pan for purposes of prime rib cooking. It's all nonstick. The lid and pan are both good for stovetop cooking. But it's big. Too big to fit in any of our cabinets except the one above the TV set. The cabinet that has extra pantry supplies, and office supplies, and trailer manuals, binoculars, electroncis...the list goes on. It fits under the rack that supports office supplies, here.

20231130_145447.jpg

It's too wide to fit between the legs of the rack. The only way for one person to get it out is to unload everything from the cabinet to the left (you can see how much stuff that is) and pull it out sideways. I insisted on getting his help. "Here," I said, "take this. And this, and this, and this..." At last the binoculars, office supplies, and some random jars were out from in front of or atop the rack. I could lift the rack enough to pull the pot out. (I am NOT stowing that pot back in place until we get ready to leave here. It can live out on the deck if necessary.)

Here it is, loaded and ready for the oven. You can see what I mean about the lid being a usable skillet.

20231126_131154.jpg

You can also see that nothing else can fit in the oven at the same time!

20231126_131211.jpg

Still, dinner was good and it was worth the effort.

20231130_145022.jpg

And we have leftovers! Hooray!

That looks really good.  Onion soup mix on top?  I use that a LOT.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

53 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I haven't visited yet (and probably won't) but I finally figured out that its name is Taco Monster.

The "claw marks" are chili peppers!

I would totally stop at a place called 'Taco Monster', especially for the chili pepper claw marks. 😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I wonder if they are really big- huge- gigantic tacos?

Jack in the Box has a Monster Taco from time to time. It looks big. This year, they offered an Angry Monster Taco around Halloween that came in a red tortilla and was reportedly more spicy. 
I’ve never eaten at Jack's, but perusing their menu, their bite-size tiny tacos look  more appealing to me than a monster. Especially if I had some freshly made guacamole to dip them in!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Shelby said:

That looks really good.  Onion soup mix on top?  I use that a LOT.

Thanks! Yes, Lipton's Onion Soup Mix. They now call it "Recipe Secrets" but it's the same stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1