• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Some of the morning show hosts at work today were discussing on air the flavor combination of chocolate with bacon. The female host had dipped bacon in the fondue she made the night before and loved it. The male host couldn't even wrap his mind around it, so I offered to make something for their feature "Recipe Thursdays" (we recorded it today so that I didn't have to come into work at 6 am). I did bacon/dark chocolate truffles rolled in a salty pecan crust. They were pretty good, IIDSSM.

After we recorded the segment, I put the leftovers in the break room intending to take pictures later. When I came back there were just pecan crumbs left in the bottom of the bowl, so I guess they were good! :biggrin:

Thanks for posting the Bacon Truffle recipe. I just noticed it today. It actually sounds good! When I was in Chicago in the spring I tried the Vosges bacon bar. I liked it! Here's my question for those in the know... How would bacon in a truffle hold up for shelf life?

I don't know how Vosges does it... I know they use real bacon - and the bar says "consume within 6 months"????? :shock:

*edited to add the quote - forgot it.

The bacon in the bar is crisp and dry - so the shelf life is very long. In a truffle containing cream the bacon would soften and lose any crispness very quickly. I think the shelf life would be dependent on the proportions of the other ingredients.

Canadian Thanksgiving at our home also with lots of folks and dogs coming. A big turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, etc.

For dessert: a lemon cheesecake pie covered with a 70% ganache. The pie, although lemon, is quite sweet. We'll have to see how the very dark ganache goes over.

Plus a cornstarch based Italian ice cream which called for ricotta. When I went to make it yesterday, the ricotta was off and that was that. Did the cornstarch, milk and cream based and then added the inclusions: toasted pistachios, pecans and hazelnuts, chopped maraschino cherries and apricots, lemon and orange zest. Like nougat ice cream. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The bacon in the bar is crisp and dry - so the shelf life is very long. In a truffle containing cream the bacon would soften and lose any crispness very quickly. I think the shelf life would be dependent on the proportions of the other ingredients.

so true, so true... I wonder if a butter based ganache would do the trick for shelf life - and even going an extra step of 'coating' the bacon in cocoa butter or chocolate before adding it to the ganache???

I've been on a simple pie & bread kick lately.

Cranberry & pear pie with streusel topping: cranberry pie.jpg

Triple berry pie: triple berry pie.jpg

Double chocolate banana bread: IMG00048.jpg

Sorry for the terrible camera phone pics.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Is anyone up and on egullet? Just got a phone call from my SIL that he passed the last of his accounting board exams. They are coming for dinner and I want to make a nice cake. I am not an expert by far. What do you recommend? I want something special that he has never had but that I am capable of making! Our usual is simple coffee cakes, chocolate cake, no frosting unless ganache at times, pound cake, etc

Thanks-if you have a suggestion I will probably need a recipe :unsure: or some recipe source online.

Edited by Lior (log)

Is anyone up and on egullet? Just got a phone call from my SIL that he passed the last of his accounting board exams. They are coming for dinner and I want to make a nice cake. I am not an expert by far. What do you recommend? I want something special that he has never had but that I am capable of making! Our usual is simple coffee cakes, chocolate cake, no frosting unless ganache at times, pound cake, etc

Thanks-if you have a suggestion I will probably need a recipe :unsure: or some recipe source online.

Simple but good - how about gingerbread? I'll forward the recipe I use.

While Kerry's offering recipes, hit her up for the apple cake she posted a picture of a while back. It's easy and really tasty.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Hi. Thank you very very much! I just got home and ran to look to see if there was an answer and ! yes!!

I don't have enough apples for the pie, but I am glad to know about it-would have been PERFECT a few ago but will use it in two weeks. As to the gingerbread I also don't have all the ingredients-stores are closed for the sabbath already-draaaag! But I also want to make this in December for a special occasion. So I have a few questions:

1.I can google it I know but what is calvados?

2. What is the difference between apple juice and cider? :unsure:

This sounds just fantastic! Thank you so much!!

So I decided to make something that I think is called cream puffs or eclaires-look fancy, taste good and are easy. I have made them many times but forgot about them for a long while.

Calvados |ˌkalvəˈdōs| (also calvados)

noun

apple brandy, traditionally made in the Calvados region of Normandy.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Hi. Thank you very very much! I just got home and ran to look to see if there was an answer and ! yes!!

I don't have enough apples for the pie, but I am glad to know about it-would have been PERFECT a few ago but will use it in two weeks. As to the gingerbread I also don't have all the ingredients-stores are closed for the sabbath already-draaaag! But I also want to make this in December for a special occasion. So I have a few questions:

2. What is the difference between apple juice and cider? :unsure:

This sounds just fantastic! Thank you so much!!

So I decided to make something that I think is called cream puffs or eclaires-look fancy, taste good and are easy. I have made them many times but forgot about them for a long while.

As noted, calvados is an applely alcohol. Apple cider is like fresh pressed apple juice - it will ferment over time (then can be distilled to make calvados) - apple juice is the bottled or canned juice that is very clear.

deensiebat - I love the look of those chocolate PB cookies! I’ll be trying that recipe!

DeliciouslyLekker – that scone is seriously gorgeous!

Dessert tonight was supposed to be Cook’s Country Cold Oven Pound Cake, but this is what happened to my cake:

P1030160.JPG

:angry:

I’ve used this pan many times and never had this happen before. The cake ended up being awful and sodden (not surprising since most of it leaked out the bottom of the pan) and it was 10pm and I didn’t have any more soft butter. So I had a pound cake mix (I never have one on hand, but I make these really popular pumpkin pound cake muffins for Halloween that use the mix) and just made that quickly. I made some maple-caramel sauce with sautéed apples and served it over the cake slices:

P1030172.JPG

The cake was blah, but the sauce was awesome!

[quote name='Kim Shook' date='20 October 2009 - 06:37 PM' timestamp='1256099844' post='1706673'

Dessert tonight was supposed to be Cook’s Country Cold Oven Pound Cake, but this is what happened to my cake:

P1030160.JPG

:angry:

I’ve used this pan many times and never had this happen before. The cake ended up being awful and sodden (not surprising since most of it leaked out the bottom of the pan)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Kim Shook: Thank you! I don't know if they really should be higher though. Most scones recipes I've seen require Cream of Tartar or shortening (Dorie's recipe doesn't). They tasted great. I'm just over analysing it a little because the MIL asked me to bake scones for a birthday party next week...

Sorry to hear about your cake! BTW, butter can be microwaved (in 5-10 second zaps!) so in the event .....;)

Nyonya in The Netherlands

My Blog- Deliciously Lekker