• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl Food

jhlurie

Not watching it, but snacks...I'd make a big batch of stove top candied nuts (I think walnuts may be even better than the almonds in the original recipe) flavored with cumin, orange peel, and red chili flakes. Original recipe in The Hay Day Country Market Cookbook. These are sooo good.

Edited by tsquare (log)

In preparation for the big game, last week for the playoffs, I made Buffalo Wings from the recipe on the bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce. It's supposedly the original recipe from the Anchor Bar. The sauce was not hot, or even remotely spicy. The flavor was good, but just not spicy. I'll add some cayenne next time.

Stop Family Violence

Beer will be homebrewed Belgian White Bier

with hints of coriander and orange?

:biggrin: You know your beer! I also added a pinch of ground ginger to the final boil as an aromatic. I thought it would go well with the coriander and orange peel.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Anyone got a good cole slaw recipe for topping a pulled pork sangwich?  Yeah, I know it's kind of obvious, but it can't hurt to ask.  I like the creamy kind.

Here's another one:

Shredded or thinly sliced cabbage (if I get really lazy, i'll buy the prepackaged stuff)

1shredded carrot

3/4 cup miracle whip (ok, ok, I KNOW! Use mayonaise if you must :biggrin: )

1/3 cup sour cream

1/4 cup sugar

3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt

1/2 teaspoon ground mustard

1/4 teaspoon celery salt

1/4 1/2 teapsoon garlic salt or powder

Place coleslaw in bowl. Combine all remaining ingredients and toss.. Refridgerate before serving.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Game starts at 3pm PST.

Anti-British bastards :angry: Don't they realize that's 11pm in civilization ??????

I have the menu sorted out now :

24oz shoulder of lamb

16oz ground chuck steak

4 large red onions

6 medium Idaho potatoes

3 tablespoons sesame oil

1 tin Italian peeled tomatoes

1/2 pint water

1 bottle 1984 Lirac

1/2 bottle Taylors 1988 Reserve Port

Place lamb, steak, onions and all that other shit in refrigerator.

Open both bottles and drink.

Let wife cook the rest for brunch on Monday.

We are having Maggiethecat and her husband over for the Super Bowl. Here's the menu...

Ahi Tuna with Garlic, Ginger & Sesame Oil on Taro Chips

Citrus Cured Smoked Salmon with Horseradish Sauce, Shallots and Dill on Buckwheat Blini

Gumbo from Heaven on Seven

Pineapple - Polenta Upside Down Cake with Mango and Caramel-Lime Ice Cream

Jean Georges' Warm Chocolate Cake

Edited by awbrig (log)

For 1st half snacks, we had:

7 layer Mexican Dip

Homemade Salsa

Creamy "Old Mexico" Dip

Buffalo wings and celery

Smoked Salmon Spread with crackers

For half time dinner:

Brisket, Ribs and chicken from the smoker

Romano potatoes

cole slaw

deviled eggs

Garlic Bread

Lemon Mousse

Stop Family Violence

pregame:

spicy tuna on papadum

my secret bhel poori recipe (suvir's)

my secret bulgogi recipe (jinmyo's)

first quarter:

my secret pulled pork tacos recipe (from a cookbook)

my secret antipasto salad (mrs. tommy made it)

second quarter:

my secret homemade pigs-in-a-blanket recipe (rachel perlow's)

my secret hot wings recipe (frank's) with my secret blue cheese (mrs. tommy made it)

third quarter:

my secret mini-cheese burger recipe with freshly ground sirlion and chuck (friend of mine told me)

fourth quarter:

my not-so-secret passing out recipe :unsure:

• 11 months later...

Super Bowl is approaching (February 1st)... Us Red Sox fans who were crying in our beer now have reason to celebrate with the Pats in the Super Bowl! :smile:

I have hosted Super Bowl parties before, and below are some foods I've served. This year I am adding sparkling wines to the festivities.

Does anyone have ideas for other good things to make? In the alternative, say you are a guest, what would you love to see your hostess wheel out at kickoff?

From Super Bowl Menues past:

Appetizers:

-Chicken Wings roasted in Ah So sauce

-Sweet & Sour meatballs

-Smoked salmon

-Pigs 'n Blankets

-Linguica and mustard

-Chips & Dip

-Beer

Mains:

-The big sandwich (I am sooo tired of this)

-Buccatini all' Amatriciana or Lasagna

-Tossed Salad

-Garlic Bread

-Beer

Dessert:

-Super Bowl Sundaes (Homemade "Joy of Cooking" Chocolate Brownies topped with Vanilla Ice Cream, Hot Fudge Sauce, Whipped Cream, Cherries, and chopped Roasted Pecans [optional] served in plastic hat bowls we acquired from pro baseball games)

-Fresh Pineapple Chunks and Fruit Smoothies

-Sparkling Wines, BEER

Edited by TrishCT (log)

Back in our Super Bowl party days we would do a big pot of chili which everyone seemed to enjoy.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

No Super Bowl party is complete without chile con queso (yes, WITH Velveeta, how the hell else are you supposed to get the right texture???).

I'll be rooting for Carolina, myself (come on. I'm a Jets fan. I CAN'T root for the Pats, cute as Adam Vinatieri may be). :raz:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Well, I am a Philadelphia Eagles fan so we WON'T be having a Super Bowl Party. :sad:

If you don't want to do the big sandwich maybe you could do a lot of little sandwiches, either make them ahead of time or set out the fixings for the guests to make their own. If you make some ahead of time you can get very creative with the breads, condiments and fillings, etc. depending on what you like.

I will make a mess of Mexican home fries (potatoes with red bell peppers, onions, jalapeños, tomatoes, corn tortillas, salsa, cumin and lime). I'll probably also marinate skirt steak in teriyaki (Soy Vey is good stuff) and make sandwiches on sourdough rolls.

Tons of mojitos and wine. We're not a beer-drinking group.

Go, Patriots, indeed! Tom Brady is the best! (I'm lucky to like lots of teams...I'm just happy that those unctuous St. Louis Rams choked at home!)

TrishCT,

Now that's a great spread! It looks like you're serving a lot of items that may be do-ahead-able ( :wacko: ) which will make things go easier for you on Game Day.

What about nuts?

I tried making some almonds for last year's Super Bowl party but the spices tended to burn.

Anyone have any savory nut snack recipes (not a big fan of the sweet recipes)? I've heard rumor about some walnuts that eGullet poster Basildog once made but there's no recipe in the recipe archive. :sad:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You could have a "New England" Theme main course...

Clam Chowder

and

Fresh Baked Cornbread with butter

and

Cold Beer

Could make a pot of vegetable chowder as another option.

(I've made fresh cornbread for crowds before---Super Bowl party w/chile, Carolina BBQ... It's easy to have all the dry ingredients measured out in separate containers for each batch; then just add buttermilk and go. The fresh warm cornbread is always a hit).

Note: guacamole is a must for me at Super Bowl parties!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I tend to go with themes around the site of the superbowl and/or the teams playing. As a Patriots season ticket holder (I had SO much fun at the game last Sunday - and Trish I keep your Route 84 food recommendations in the glove compartment, this time it was Carminuccios on the way up saturday. Thanks again for that), I tend to celebrate more when my guys are involved.

At our last party in 2002, we served jambalaya, bread pudding, hurricaines and sam adams beer (new orleans and new england). This time we are looking at TexMex (taco bar, nachos, guac), perhaps some BBQ from Fink and the old sam adams again.

Go Pats!!!!!

I tend to go with themes around the site of the superbowl and/or the teams playing.

I like that idea of doing something regionally - how about Carolina BBQ with slaw and Boston baked beans?

Hmm.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

What about nuts?

I tried making some almonds for last year's Super Bowl party but the spices tended to burn.

Anyone have any savory nut snack recipes (not a big fan of the sweet recipes)? I've heard rumor about some walnuts that eGullet poster Basildog once made but there's no recipe in the recipe archive. :sad:

Spicy Herb Roasted Nuts

They do have maple syrup, but the cayenne, herbs and salt balance it out.

They are so so so so so so so so so so good. (I did not make the recipe up but I scrawled it down and forget the source.)

What about a large platter of crudite with jicama, carrots, peppers and green beans. My experience is that people LOVE jicama sticks. You can serve this with assorted salsas and dips. One of my faves is Cowboy Caviar.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Anyone have any savory nut snack recipes (not a big fan of the sweet recipes)?  I've heard rumor about some walnuts that eGullet poster Basildog once made but there's no recipe in the recipe archive. :sad:

A cookbook recipe I've done twice (and was so popular I went out and bought the book) is the Union Square Cafe's Bar Nuts.

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org