• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl Food

jhlurie

Well, I don't know about "interesting"...

My DH insisted on going retro with the snacks: he was craving Lipton's Onion Soup Sour Cream dip with Ruffle's Potato Chips, and some token veggies on the side.

However, since we're rooting for the Saints, I'm just about to make a batch of Shrimp Etouffee, recipe from Saveur.

What else is everyone eating? Come on...it's cold out there, and people have to eat regardless!

Wings, pizza, and roasted shrimp with pineapple habanero salsa...

already had my share of onion dip at a party last night :smile:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Ginos East Frozen Deep Dish Pizza in oven right now, Jewel (local grocery store) layered taco dip that is known by just about everyone in the Chicagoland area, and it's a really good layer dip, assorted cheese and crackers, cheese fondue, white cheddar popcorn (smartfood brand, my favorite no matter how many "gourmet" brands I try....nothing beats Smartfood brand, Munchos potato chips :) All Junk food that will be delish nonetheless!!!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Amusing to be in the supermarket this morning--tables handing out snack foods of all sorts--mini-hot dogs wrapped in biscuit dough, chips and dips, and the like. Piles of cooked shrimp in the fish case. Special display with Ritz crackers and Cheez Whiz in a spray can side by side for your shopping convenience.

• 1 year later...
Mini Reubens (open-faced, bitesized, made on party rye slices and broiled - but you use Dijon mustard rather than the traditional Thousand Island Dressing) and beer

This sounds excellent! In a junk-food idiom, you could use those packages of thin-sliced processed meats, rather than 'real' deli corned beef. I like it, and will probably try it; the substitution of dijon for thousand island seems a bit odd, but it would work. Not a Reuben, but good.

Actual recipe:

Mini-Reuben Sandwiches

Dijon mustard

Thousand Island Dressing (optional)

1 loaf sliced party rye bread

1 1-lb can sauerkraut, well-drained and pressed between paper towels until dry as possible.

sliced corned beef (I actually do use the good stuff - either make it myself or buy it from good deli)

3 oz Swiss cheese slices

(If you can't find party rye, cut slices of regular rye into quarters)

Pre-heat oven to 400º.

Place bread slices in single layer on baking sheet and put in oven to partially toast. Remove and spread each with Dijon mustard. (Add a small dollop of 1000 Island Dressing, too, if you like, but don't leave out that Dijon. I've tried it without it and just believe me it is NOT AS GOOD.) Top with 1 heaping tsp sauerkraut, several small slices corned beef, one strip of swiss cheese.

Put back in oven and bake until cheese melts. Serve immediately.

This makes about 26 mini-Reubens, and they are very popular and easy to eat so be sure you have enough for everyone.

So it's Superbowl time again. And the current conversation about Reubens reminded me of our favorite Superbowl snack: Mini-Reubens.

Anyone else making something particularly tasty?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Anyone else making something particularly tasty?

For the first time in the almost 11 years I've lived here, the local grocery had fresh tomatillos. I don't trust that to continue to be the case so I grabbed a few pounds, roasted them until the skin was nice and charred, sealed 'em up and tossed 'em in the freezer. Superbowl Sunday is going to be chile verde for sure... haven't planned beyond that yet.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Ive been intending to make Bo Saam since the momofuku cookbook came out but never got around to it. The recipe was posted in the NY times a few weeks ago and I have been hearing rave reviews about it all over the place so I guess Ill finally get around to doing it this superbowl.