• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl 2023 Food

heidih

I just use the day as a license to eat as I please which for me is little tastes all day. I was uninspired at market Friday. No great deals on chippy items. They had loads of avocados displayed throughout store. Large and good looking. Perfect in my breakfast tacos this morning.  $1 each. I don't usually buy pre-cooked shrimp but they had containers with tail on, juicy lemon wedges and horseradish heavy cocktail sauce for $5 - a generous amount. Perfct snacking and a few went into the tacos. Oh  and that trashy Krab salad - a truly spicy version (fresh green chile) and will be enjoyed on the whole wheat bread made yesterday (toasted) 3/4 lb. for just under $5. Impulse will dictate the rest. You tube will provide the ads. What I've seen so far - clearly I am not the target demographic. As to the security @lemniscate encountered - to be expected and necessary. Here we get pretty detailed alerts on traffic impact when big kids like Prez come to town. 

• Like 6

Just two of us so keeping it simple. Chips, dip and veggies and then wings at half time. Making half lemon pepper honey from this recipe and half buffalo. Baked because it’s too cold to grill and I don’t deep fry, it’s a skill I’ve never picked up.

I like football but I mostly watch for the ads!

Edited by NadyaDuke (log)
  • Like 2

I'm paying relatively little attention but used the day as an excuse to try the salt & pepper ribs with fresh mint sauce from Eric Kim's Korean American

4EAD4125-DF6B-4F50-84F4-9CBA1D8107EB_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b9020830ef5b43d195e9babe32ae1e19.jpeg

I've always cooked baby back ribs low and slow but this recipe cuts them into separate ribs and cooks them quickly in a hot oven. They were surprisingly excellent as was the mint sauce which was just fresh mint, rice vinegar, sugar, salt and a little water - perfect complement to the fatty, crispy ribs.

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

Simple wings, but my husband adores them. 🙂

He's also really happy that a Canadian golfer did so well in PHX today and loves the back and forth in the football game, he's positively bubbly. Quite cute, really. 😄

And now that the game is over, I know my cousins are ready for some celebrating! 

PXL_20230213_031025455.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.9d0265aa6caf5458cf1f2581d830fdfc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

That was a fun and exciting game!

I made way too much food.  I know what I'm having for breakfast lol.

7 layer dip

thumbnail_IMG_3981.jpg.b698868b594f039e5a184f5faae46baa.jpg

Shrimp cocktail

thumbnail_IMG_3983.jpg.887d2831af4c5af724e9a3ee330a5b2e.jpg

Wings.  Instead of drenching them in the hot wing sauce (I made it instead of using store bought) I did the sauce on the side.

thumbnail_IMG_3984.jpg.c892a0a867117febf22bf5d028b1183b.jpg

Also had little smokies and rotel cheese dip.

I've been hoarding one can of sour cherries.  They are hard to find and expensive right now.  Made a small galette for dessert.

thumbnail_IMG_3982.jpg.b63c321b629bdbdd98add1b6d2dacc5e.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 5

I made the usual Havana Moon Chili (more olives, golden raisins, no almonds), 7 layer dip, bought some Street Corn dip,  and at the last minute I decided I wanted chicken wings so I braved a grocery store (thinking curbside would surely be out of stock) and sure enough, there was a sign saying 'no fresh chicken wings available'.  None of the pre-made ones either!  The ones at the fresh-food-to-go counter looked too dried up so I went without.  :(  I had the TV to myself for part of the game and I, sadly, do not understand football in the least.  I did enjoy the commercials, though; and the Dunkin Donuts one was my favorite (I missed the Sarah Mclachlin one, did not understand the Charlie the human lie detector one, and thought the Pepsi acting/not acting was cute and the Breaking Bad one was done well).  I had no opinion about who could/should/would win and thought the halftime show was a snooze fest (are they Oompa Loompahs? StayPuft Marshmallow men? HazMat suits? Is WeatherTec making rain gear for people? 😉)

I never manage to keep the Rotel/Velveeta dip fluid enough after the initial melt so there's that :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2