• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Quintessential eG Kitchen Tips/Trucs

chefs13

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

but I'm not (so far) enjoying the stoop-to-get-anything aspect of it.

I am with you on that. Stooping is one challenge. The other challenge again is peculiar to me and people with my particular visual issue. I can see things at eye level much more so than things at floor level.
When I first got my fridge with the freezer drawer at the bottom I was delighted. Circumstances changed. I think I could work much better now with the freezer on top. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/2/2022 at 4:01 PM, Anna N said:

I am with you on that. Stooping is one challenge. The other challenge again is peculiar to me and people with my particular visual issue. I can see things at eye level much more so than things at floor level.
When I first got my fridge with the freezer drawer at the bottom I was delighted. Circumstances changed. I think I could work much better now with the freezer on top. 

In my experience, it depends on the frequency you use either level.    I need access the freezer only several, maybe 4 times, a week.   The fridge, multiple times a day.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

• 3 weeks later...

A minor tip, but the jar lifter from your canning set works really well for removing ramekins from their water bath.

I made creme brulee for a stepdaughter today (our little tradition) and did just that, and thought I should maybe post it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning