• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Can Opener

Fat Guy

I've seen jellied cranberry sauce and the like labeled upside down.

As was said above, it should plop out of the can easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Stackability makes sense but it does not explain why the label is upside down.  So much easier in the days when the grocery would open the can for you before you left the store.

Did they peel your grapes, too? :B

Regarding the cans with one regular end and one molded end (and the upside down label), The can end is molded so once you open the can on the regularly-shaped end, the contents should plop right out. No need for a knife or spatula to dig the contents out. As DDF mentioned, gelled cranberry has this kind of can. And Mary Kitchen's Corned Beef Hash, et al, has recently changed over to the same kind of can. 

I've never looked to see when the label is correct side up which end is on the bottom. I assume the molded end would be on the bottom.

• Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

What I dislike about the stackable cans with one removable end and another non-removable end is that if you can't remove both ends and get free cooking rings anymore.  They made great molds for plating and for cooking things like eggs.  I have a set of graduated rings which are great, but only one in each size.  

• Like 4

I used the OXO for the first time tonight.  I tried to open a can of tomatoes and nothing perceptible happened.  I down loaded and reread the manual, and repeated exactly the same thing.  The can opened perfectly.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

as I think I mentioned 

on ATK a long time ago , the OXO  was the second choice 

and best buy 

the more expensive one , possibly from switzerland or in that neighborhood 

was more expensive , but you only needed to go around once.

saving a lot of time id guess over the Millennia 

• Haha 1

I finally got tired of turning the air blue* when attempting to open cans.

I just ordered and Oxo side opener — Amazon had a coupon.

*I actually never get tired of turning the air blue! xD

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

This appears to be the can opener that ATK recommends.

It's EXPENSIVE, and the average reviews on Amazon aren't glowing.

• Thanks 1

I have a side-cut, smooth-edge that's branded Cooks Choice. Don't remember where I got it. Works well. I only have to go around once. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 months later...

♥️ the Oxo side opener!!!

Going around the can twice isn't a big deal—the handle is so comfortable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2