• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

Instead of my bringing a meat dish, I think I'll convince Lauren to prepare some of our favorite, yet enigmatic, pasta that we often bring to such events.

I won't elaborate on the ingredients because figuring it out during tasting is half the fun.

Edited by alanz (log)

Just got this thread. If my on-call schedule permits I'm in with my wife and three kids. Possibly some home-made fresh apple-cider?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm in for 1 person. I will be driving from Long Island, and have room for 3 or 4 egulleters in my car. Stopping in Manahattan and picking up people is not a big deal - Let me know if anyone needs a ride. I've been told I make pretty good brownies. If we don't have too many desserts - I would like to bring them.

johnjohn

I'm there; 1 person.  Do you have someone  covering drinks?  Doesn't appear so yet.

I can do dumplings(hence the name) and a wicked good blueberry PIE(elyse,  :biggrin: ).

Hi Dumpling, I'm sure Rachel will answer this, but it looks like she has enough to do with adding and updating the lists... our traditional e-gullet policy is to bring your own alcoholic libations, with enough to share.

I assume people who are bringing kids will bring sodas and such for them..a few cases of bottled water might be a good idea...but the blueberry pie sounds even better!

Add one more for me (Boyfriend)

I noticed coleslaw mentioned a few times... good time for a cole SLAY? Coleslaw contest... I'm one of the judges. Have been critiqueing for 24 years. First ever egullet recipe contest! Receive the Golden Whisk award...

I will bring large stock of PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer from Downington, PA.

I know it's in there somewhere, but can we confirm the date? Some were asking about NJT, take bus #197 or #196 when 197 is out, from gate 233, port authority. Limited schedule, $9.70 one way. Picturesque ride through greenwood lake and reservoirs.

Other side suggestions: cornbread, collards, mac and cheese. Chess pie is also not out of the question!

Edit: Found the date: 9/21 1:30 PM

Lisa

Edited by Lisa1349 (log)

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

our traditional e-gullet policy is to bring your own alcoholic libations, with enough to share.

I assume people who are bringing kids will bring sodas and such for them..a few cases of bottled water might be a good idea

I think we should definitely have some non-alcoholic drinks, especially water, ice tea, and/or lemonade. It may still be pretty hot out and we'll be outside and a lot of people will be driving long distances, so we shouldn't drink too much booze. This would be a good thing for a non-cook to bring.

Note: RSVP list above has been edited to this point.

Two questions:

1. Are lurkers invited?

2. What's the latest date that one can sign up for this shindig?

I'd really, really love to join the party but I won't know if I'm able to until much closer to the actual date.

Er, actually three questions:

3. If I came, could I bring something that I didn't prepare? I literally don't know how to cook or prepare anything. I don't know the first thing about cooking or good food for that matter. That's one of the reasons why I'm fascinated by this place and why I am (and probably will mostly remain) a lurker. Attracted first largely because of the Roadfood-ish and historical aspects of the discussion.

Thanks,

James

BTW, If I am invited and if I do come, I'd be coming by car from Staten Island. Anybody else who wants to pile into my econobox would be more than welcome to ride along. (Lots of "ifs" !)

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

james, i think it's safe to say that *everyone* is invited.

if you don't want to cook, i'm sure we'll need stuff like paper goods, ice, soda, water, etc. i suppose someone is compiling a list somewhere.

i hope you can make it.

Editor's Note: There's a list above. I didn't want to do my own post, because I'm using them as place-holders for when I edit the RSVP list. Rachel

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Is anyone doing a pecan pie? If not, I have a derby-style bourbon pecan pie (a tart, really) recipe that will wake the dead. And barbeque absolutely requires pecan pie.

Also, I wonder if we could get curdnerd to sell us a little of his product in the form of creme fraiche...?

--

Is anyone doing a pecan pie?  If not, I have a derby-style bourbon pecan pie (a tart, really) recipe that will wake the dead.

i think elyse is bringing some of her famous pecan pie. although, with 70+ people, it seems we might need some people to double up on some items.

I'm in for 1 person.  I will be driving from Long Island, and have room for 3 or 4 egulleters in my car.  Stopping in Manahattan and picking up people is not a big deal - Let me know if anyone needs a ride.

SHOTGUN! :biggrin: Can I come?

I'm there; 1 person.  Do you have someone  covering drinks?  Doesn't appear so yet.

I can do dumplings(hence the name) and a wicked good blueberry PIE(elyse,  :biggrin: ).

Maybe our pies will get married! :wub:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(slkinsey @ Jul 21 2003, 10:36 PM)

Is anyone doing a pecan pie? If not, I have a derby-style bourbon pecan pie (a tart, really) recipe that will wake the dead. 

i think elyse is bringing some of her famous pecan pie. although, with 70+ people, it seems we might need some people to double up on some items.

I am bringing several. How many should that be? Bourbon pie absolutely welcome, Sam!

I'd like to bring fresh fruit and a dip for it. (The dip, by the way...will go GREAT with ginger snaps - which I was going to bring, but I see someone's got it covered!)

Might think of some additional things to bring...I'll keep you posted.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

SouthJerseyEpicurian and myself were contemplating making a few large pans of Pastitsio. Does everyone like eggplant and Greek food??? Will there be room to lightly reheat said pans in the big-assed oven?

If not we could just bring sangria if everyone likes that. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

SouthJerseyEpicurian and myself were contemplating making a few large pans of Pastitsio.  Does everyone like eggplant and Greek food??? . . .  If not we could just bring sangria if everyone likes that.  :biggrin:

Eggplants yes! Please bring the Pastitsio.

(slkinsey @ Jul 21 2003, 10:36 PM)

Is anyone doing a pecan pie? If not, I have a derby-style bourbon pecan pie (a tart, really) recipe that will wake the dead.

I am bringing several. How many should that be? Bourbon pie absolutely welcome, Sam!

Mine is quite different from a regular pecan pie. It's not really a pie anyway, it's a tart. Plus it has a small layer of chocolate and includes bourbon. So I would guess that we won't be reproducing one another's efforts in anything other than the use of pecans. :cool:

Besides, what could be better than a pecan pie tasting menu? :wub:

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

SouthJerseyEpicurian and myself were contemplating making a few large pans of Pastitsio.  Does everyone like eggplant and Greek food???  Will there be room to lightly reheat said pans in the big-assed oven?

If not we could just bring sangria if everyone likes that.  :biggrin:

most definitely bring pastitsio.

Someone needs to make greens or cornbread or mac and cheese.. maybe baked beans

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host