• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

Scott and I looked at our respective calendars and realized that we can't go. That's the week of my brother's wedding. I have a feeling we'll be a little busy.

Maybe next time, folks. Actually, many of you will be at Varmint's, right? So we'll see you there. :cool:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

It looks like it will be about a 4 1/2 hour drive for me, and I'm not up for doing a single day round trip. Are there any accomodations in the area?

Towing my barbecue pit down there will be a moderate PITA. Unless there is serious interest, I will go with something more transportable. probably an appetizer.

Jim

What happened to your WSM, Jim?

The WSM is fine, but has nowhere near the capacity needed for this large a group. I was considering chicken, which I can smoke hot and fast, but no one has expressed any interest. Bringing an appetiser will simplify things considerably. Perhaps ABTs on the grill.

Jim

we can't wait. our first in person egullet experience.

2 adults 1 child, mark susan and 7 yr old gregory

how about grilled vegtables? pepers, zucc, corn etc? what do you think enough for everybody would be? also i have folding chairs and 1 maybe 2 of those long utility tables if interested.

Unfortunately my wife and I will not be able to make it to the bbq & potluck. We have a family commitment on Staten Island that Sunday that starts at 3:00. I tried to move the time up, but no luck.

It is frustrating coming in from Texas and being so close yet still not being able to make it the event. I am sure it will be a lot of fun.

Current RSVP list:

Alanz + Lauren & Joshua - enigmatic pasta (3)

Andrew Fenton & the Mrs. - Banana Pudding (2)

Curdnerd & family - mac & cheese + supplying the location, that's enough (Cheese Shop will be open for the first hour or so of the event) (5)

Dbrociner + wife, Stephanie, and daughter Sophia - sweet potato casserole and garbage bags (3)

docsconz + wife & kids - home-made fresh apple-cider (5)

Double 0 + family - collards and maybe a tray of mac & cheese* (*see Curdnerd's post about mac & cheese) (4)

dumpling - non-alcoholic drinks and/or dumplings and/or wicked good blueberry PIE (1)

Elyse (took johnjohn's offer of a ride) - bringing pecan pie (1)

Fat Guy & Ellen (2)

Fink - bringing the cooked pig(s) at the reduced price of $4 per person (1?**)

herbacidal - bags, extra plates & forks & stuff, Sarcone's bread, infused vodka, chinese dumplings (2-4?)

hillbill - (offering rides from Staten Island/Ferry) - (maybe 1?**)

howard88 - Cole Slaw (2)

Hscottk + wife - baked beans (2)

Jason & Rachel Perlow - name tags, ice, homemade sorbets/ices, maybe ice cream (2)

jmcgrath - (1?**)

jogoode - maybe (1?**)

johnjohn - brownies (1) (offering rides from NYC or Long Island to Elyse...)

Jonathan Sibley (1)

JosephB & Donna, (sans puppy) - corn and tomato savory pastry (2)

KatieLoeb - Pastitsio (1)

Kim WB + guest - dessert from Pierre at Wegmans and a case of bottled water (2)

Lisa1349 + guest - PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer from Downington, PA (2)

Liz Johnson + husband - Dr. Pepper Cake,a table? (2)

LReda & Sue & children (2-6?**)

=Mark - ice, marinated grilled portobella mushrooms, Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce, table & chairs (1)

pnapoli + guest - cornbread & chili (2)

Randi + friend - fresh fruit and a dip for it (2)

rlibkind (Bob & Jean Sue) - baked beans (2)

RockADS21 + Mrs. Rock (2)

Rosie & Lowell - napkins, health salad (I think that's some kind of cole slaw) (2)

sabg - grilled vegtables, chairs, table (3)

Slkinsey + bergerka - Ginger Snaps (needs a ride from NYC), derby-style bourbon pecan pie (2)

SobaAddict70 - spicy marinated olives, French kisses, Oven roasted tomatoes, Wilted greens (1)

South Jersey Epicurean (Gary Kritz) - (making the pastichio/moussaka with Katie Loeb) (1)

Suzanne and HWOE; potato salad of mysterious ethnicity (2)

Suzilightening - since she's planning on arriving late, she should probably bring a dessert (definite maybe) (1)

Tommy & the Mrs. - non-food stuffs (ice, paper plates, cutlery , napkins, cups, garbage bags) (2)

wawairis - (1?)

Right now we're at 75-81 approximately. **Please confirm your numbers, especially if there's a question park next to your entry above.

To Summarize Curdnerd's post/rules:

• 1. No Dogs.
    2. Making mac & cheese.
3. Kids Welcome - someone needs to organize some kid activities and parents need to supervise them at all times (we're up to 10-15 kids)
4. We're going to be using lots of small tents.
5. Cheese Shop will be open for the first hour or so of the event.
6. place marker. (perhaps a cap on the number of people? or parking instructions?)

Other notes:

• 1. We must completely clean up after ourselves. Everyone bring an extra bag or two and leave with some garbage, please.
    2. Tents (not camping tents, party tents), tables & chairs -- the more the merrier.
    3. The pig is $4 per person (kids count too)
    4. Remember to check the RSVP list for what you offered to bring -- and before posting that you are thinking of bringing baked beans :wink:, I think two people making baked beans is enough.

i don't know how many people are bringing coolers, but i'm sure if everyone just threw a couple of bags of ice in, we'll be fine.  unless there's a need for ice that i'm not thinking of.

Excellent suggestion, tommy. If you are bringing your food in a cooler, take note of above.

Current Menu:

The menu, so far.* If you are still trying to figure out what to bring... Some iced tea and lemonade would be nice. More appetizers maybe?

Beverages

home-made fresh apple-cider

bottled water

BYOB

PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer

herbacidal-infused vodka

Appetizers

Dumplings (dumpling)

chinese dumplings (herbacidal) - the more dumplings the merrier!

fresh fruit and a dip for it (or is this a dessert?)

marinated olives

French Kisses (dates & foie gras???)

Mains

ROASTED/SMOKED PIG - that is the point of this whole thing, right?)

Pastitsio

Chili

Sides

Starchy

enigmatic pasta

mac & cheese

sweet potato casserole

baked beans (2 people are bringing baked beans)

corn and tomato savory pastry

potato salad of mysterious ethnicity

corn bread

Sarcone's bread

Veggie

Collards (Double 0), Wilted Greens (Soba)

Cole Slaw

marinated grilled portobella mushrooms

health salad

Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce

Oven roasted tomatoes

grilled vegtables (peppers, zucc, corn etc - sabq)

Desserts

Banana Pudding

blueberry PIE

pecan pie

homemade sorbets/ices

brownies

something chocolate from Pierre at Wegmans

Dr. Pepper Cake

Ginger Snaps

derby-style bourbon pecan pie

Misc (aka the more the merrier (TMTM))

Dry goods

tables, chairs, tents

ice

* If what you offered to bring isn't on the list, please PM me with edits.

Hello!

what's left for me to bring?

Looks like the greens are accounted for...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Maybe a green salad or some cut up vegetable crudite & dip? or Lemonade and/or Iced Tea?

Rachel,

Great! I think I've just signed up to do a salad. Maybe some lemonade too!

Thanks

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Hey Suzanne, maybe it would be good for you to post appropriate catering portions so people know how much to bring? I'm thinking about 2 oz per person per dish? So if you are bringing potato salad, for example, you should bring 10 lbs. Is that about right? We probably need at least 5 gallons of water, and 2+ gallons of each of the other non-alcoholic drinks.

If you'd like I could bring one of those 2 1/2 gallon container of spring water. They're pretty cheap and handy.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I think everyone should bring some water and/or a sixpack or two of soft drinks, just so that we can be assured we have enough to drink. End of September is still going to be a bit warm outside.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Would it be possible for the cheese shop to be open at the end of the day? This way the cheese won't be sitting in a hot car for 10 hours!  :blink:

Rosie: we plan to bring an ice chest with us, so that we can refrigerate our cheese for the duration, I am sure we will have space for others stuff.

If anyone here has igloos or that sort of thing, please bring them, we can always run out and get more ice to stuff them with so we can keep the beverages cold.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host