• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

Other than Sept 7, we're good for most weekends in September, with Sunday being significantly better than Saturday for us: Sat we're open to the public from 9-5, and also bake and staff four farmer's markets, so we're stretched to the limits.

Sundays are a bit easier, as we're not open to the public until noon, and only have one off-farm market to supply. Also, on Sunday the oven is free after 3, where on Saturday we re-fire the oven as soon as we're done baking.

Either day, please note that we are not in a position to provide much setup/cleanup service, as we're stretched pretty much to the max already.

We do, however, have lots of outdoor space, an alternate rain space (either in a hayloft or under a 10X20 ez-up tent, parking, water, one bathroom, a 55 degree walk-in, a 35 degree reach-in, 2 commercial bbq grills, some tables, about 10 chairs, etc. There is a rental place nearby if we need more stuff, but agian, we'll need some help with logistics from some of you.

On a Sunday, the oven will be at about 400-450F after 1 PM, and it measures 42X48 inside, which can probably cook off a lot of side dishes.

We're located on the State Line, between Vernon, NJ and Warwick, NY, about an hour from Bergen County, and about 1.5 hours from Midtown. We can probably provide an overnight kip for the pig-tender and/or a coordinator (you know, the person who keeps us out of the operational end of the event!)

Jonathan & Nina White, cheesemakers/bakers

mailto:Jonathan@cowsoutside.com

Bobolink Dairy & Bakeyard

Grass-fed raw milk cheese

Wood-fired rustic breads

Located between Warwick, NY & Vernon, NJ

Our Webpage

Assuming I'm not on the road (this remains to be determined) I'll be there and can provide transportation for a few additional Manhattanites.

It's extremely generous of curdnerd to offer up the farm, but if we accept that offer we need to be sure there is zero burden imposed on him: no drain on his schedule, no cost to him, no labor on his part. We would need to view it as a borrowed space that we take and return in the exact condition we found it. And for the sake of his sanity he should only have to deal with one person from our group: whomever we designate as the official planner.

It sounds as though roasting a pig on-site is economically disadvantageous, despite its romantic appeal. So be it: let Fink do a couple of small pigs in his smoker at the restaurant, drive them up to the farm, and we can heat the meat in batches in curdnerd's oven. It will be significantly cheaper and will probably have better smoke on it anyway, from being done in his professional restaurant pit. We can do pot-luck sides in oven-safe dishes, bring a ton of beverages, etc.

So, if the decision is to accept the curdnerd offer, which user is going to manage the project and be the point-of-contact with curdnerd?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Should be a person that lives in north jersey, I think. Probably should be us.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Rachel, I'd be more than happy to assist you in regards to coordinating alcohol, sides, etc. I won't be of much help with a location so far north, but keep me in mind for little details to help out with as we get closer to a date.

PS, I am not available the weekend of the 13th.

Sept 21 is good here at the farm.

Wood-fired rustic breads

Our Webpage

Sue and I are in and perhaps with children. If my family is going I'll need The Rock as a bodyguard.

Count me in...as long as the date we decide on does not conflict with a Jets home game...

A.D.S.

Well Sundays are better for curdnerd, but he can't do the 7th. Fink can't do the 14th. How about the 21st?

It must be fate- we couldn't make the 7th or 14th either, but the 21st sounds great. Now the only question is whether or not we bail on the Varmint Pig Pickin!! Then again, you can't go too far for good pig....

Well Sundays are better for curdnerd, but he can't do the 7th. Fink can't do the 14th. How about the 21st?

It must be fate- we couldn't make the 7th or 14th either, but the 21st sounds great. Now the only question is whether or not we bail on the Varmint Pig Pickin!! Then again, you can't go too far for good pig....

The NJ function is a "get-together." My pig pickin' is an "event", a "party", a frickin' bash.

Nuff said.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Sue and I are in and perhaps with children. If my family is going I'll need The Rock as a bodyguard.

Count me in...as long as the date we decide on does not conflict with a Jets home game...

Perfect, works for me as I'll come with Sue and all the kids and head down the shore for my two week sabbatical. Kids live 3 miles from the roast.

Excellent, Lou

Giants on the road, I'll bring my headphones. :laugh:

I've renamed this topic, since it is no longer "proposed" but actual. I think we should do this earlier in the day than most of our get togethers, lunch instead of dinner, since it is outside and quite a drive for most members.

Curdnerd - is 12:30 good or would 3 PM be better? (that's when you said your oven would be free)

So, who's in and what're you bringing?

Curdnerd & family - supplying the location, that's enough (unless you'd like us to sample some of your bread & cheese :wink:)

Fink - bringing the cooked pig(s) at the reduced price of $4 per person

Fat Guy & Ellen

Jason & Rachel Perlow

herbacidal

Kim WB

Lisa1349

LReda & Sue & children

pnapoli

RockADS21

Rosie & Lowell

Suzilightening - since she's planning on arriving late, she should probably bring a dessert (how late are you planning on arriving?)

Time to start thinking about coming - the more the merrier!

My wife Donna and I, and our pup Hubie, would love to attend. We'll bring something savory (TBA). 3:00PM would be a much better time for us, if you're taking a poll. We'll being coming from the Upper West Side. If you need a lift, let me know.

12:30 might be tight--how about 1:30? Also, if we need more people to make the numbers work, allk I'd have to do is let the local word-of-mouth know, and we'd probably get a lot of our regular cognospendi to show up.

Wood-fired rustic breads

Our Webpage

1:30 it is.

Current RSVP list:

Curdnerd & family - supplying the location, that's enough (unless you'd like us to sample some of your bread & cheese :wink:)

Fink - bringing the cooked pig(s) at the reduced price of $4 per person

Fat Guy & Ellen

Jason & Rachel Perlow

herbacidal

Kim WB

Lisa1349

LReda & Sue & children

pnapoli

RockADS21

Rosie & Lowell

Suzilightening - since she's planning on arriving late, she should probably bring a dessert (how late are you planning on arriving?)

Tommy & the Mrs.

JosephB & Donna (& pup? Are we bringing our dogs now?*)

Curdnerd - *what's the opinion about dogs? Since we've decided to go potluck for the sides, etc., and Fink is charging $4 per person for the pork (in other words, we're not doing the 50 person minimum on-site cooking thing), I don't think it is necessary to publicize anywhere besides eGullet.

I'd like to rsvp, tentatively :rolleyes: ....or maybe i should just ask when the latest I can rsvp is....

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

hey, how is this coming along?

Herb:

Which one of us is driving? I'm in! I think Gary will want to come, Fentons also? We must have a well represented Philly contingent there... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Count me in! Looks like this could be a warm up for the Pig Pickin for a good number of folks. Will have to mull over what to bring...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak