• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

If we are in New Jersey that weekend, are Scott and I welcome at this shindig?  How far is the Pig BBQ from North Plainfield, anyway?

oh dude, absolutely!

it's as far from N. Plainfield as it is for everyone else. :biggrin:

mapquest says 1.5 hours. sounds like a lot though. it's about 60 miles according to them (although i bet it's less with a hiway route), so that would hopefully be just a bit over an hour.

Edited by tommy (log)

Thanks Tommy. I haven't actually figured out exactly where it's going to be. My knowledge of NJ is very limited. But, we may be spending a few days with some friends in N. Plainfield (exit 10, I believe) so it wouldn't be too outta the way to meet you all.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Thanks Tommy.  I haven't actually figured out exactly where it's going to be.  My knowledge of NJ is very limited.  But, we may be spending a few days with some friends in N. Plainfield (exit 10, I believe) so it wouldn't be too outta the way to meet you all.

which north plainfield? southern jersey? or central jersey. exit 10 where? wha? who? huh?

We'll pack our cooler with potable ice, since we're bringing a frozen dessert anyway.

Re: dry goods. Did a little online research. OfficeMax has good prices on SOLO plastic-ware. Plastic Party Plates are either $7.50 for 108 or $12 for 120 (I'm not sure which style is which size, so I wouldn't order online). Heavy Duty Cutlery is $7 for a box that contains 100 each of knives, forks & spoons. 16 oz Cups are $8 for 100. So, it would cost someone who doesn't feel like cooking ~$25 to get enough for everyone. That sounds in line with what many people are spending in time & ingredients for the dishes they are bringing and therefore doesn't seem outrageous to me. Of course, right now tommy is the one who volunteered to bring stuff, so . . . :raz:

Staples prices are higher for the SOLO products, but they have more variety in the products offered, for example Hefty Foam Plates are $5.25 for 125, but I'd get 2 packs since they aren't as sturdy as the plastic plates.

Another option, is for everyone to clean out their miscellaneous paper goods (I think this should be in addition to someone bringing just enough for everyone as outlined above), that way there'd be extra plates too. I know I have some Cinco De Mayo party plates in the back of my pantry... :rolleyes:

which north plainfield?  southern jersey?  or central jersey.  exit 10 where?  wha?  who?  huh?

It's north of New Brunswick. Exit 10 from the NJ turnpike, I believe. Near Piscataway. It's the only part of NJ I have been to in the last 10 years.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

yeah, that's not too bad heather. about an hour i'd think.

i'll take care of the plates, cutlery, cups, napkins, and garbage bags. since i'm anti-social and a neat-freak, i'll probably spend most of the day putting all that stuff in the garbage bags anway. :biggrin:

i don't know how many people are bringing coolers, but i'm sure if everyone just threw a couple of bags of ice in, we'll be fine. unless there's a need for ice that i'm not thinking of.

Edited by tommy (log)

No problem kicking in another couple of $ to cover the paper goods. Oh, and do we have to post a bond against any damage we might do to the property? :unsure: Not that I expect we will, after all, we're such a dignified bunch . . . but. I mean, what if there's a pie fight? :laugh:

ok, I just revisited the thread.

Rachel -- I'll change my contribution to something else then.

I don't know what it will be, but I'm now leaning to a veggie (non-starchy offering) or maybe a selection of Indian chutneys. Should be interesting.

Will be bringing spicy marinated olives. These are olives that will be macerated in EVOO, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes and some preserved lemon tossed in. This is a definite, so put that down on the list.

Maybe dates stuffed with goat cheese. Not sure yet if this is in, since things will depend on how well goat cheese keeps if we're going to be travelling and its not going to be served for a while. If someone has a handy recipe for a French kiss and knows where I can get a good quality supply of foie gras, I suppose I could be persuaded to make them. I was thinking of a version that uses dates instead of prunes and is briefly soaked in Armangac.

Soba

If someone has a handy recipe for a French kiss and knows where I can get a good quality supply of foie gras, I suppose I could be persuaded to make them. I was thinking of a version that uses dates instead of prunes and is briefly soaked in Armangac.

Ohmigod! I LOVE these! They are sooooo yummy. The local purveyor of D'Artagnan products always has these out at food events and I always sneak back for seconds, and thirds... :wub:

Oh pretty please - make these!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

4. Remember to check the RSVP list for what you offered to bring -- and before posting that you are thinking of bringing baked beans.

I must have missed the original bean person. Should we switch back to eggplant casserole? Or do we predict the bean demand to be sufficient?

Generally I try not to repeat myself at events.  Maybe I'll do grilled marinated portabellas...

=Mark did those at one of my hotlucks. Excellent!! I just ran across this thread and would like to attend. I could tow my pit down if people would like chicken to go along with the pork.

Jim

I could tow my pit down if people would like chicken to go along with the pork.

Jim

What do you got?

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I could tow my pit down if people would like chicken to go along with the pork.

Jim

What do you got?

It's a Klose pit imported from Houston. The cooking chamber is 24" X 60" with two levels of shelves.

Jim

Tommy--I bought 400 Vanity Fair napkins at Cosco yesterday.

i'll bring more. people use an insane amount of napkins.

Those Vanity Fair napkins are nice and they are big.

Elyse, just wanted to let you know I made a lemon meringue today that was amazing! PIE= PIE= :wub: !

Sabq, just type in you want to attend and Rachel will know and add you to the list.

No problem kicking in another couple of $ to cover the paper goods.  Oh, and do we have to post a bond against any damage we  might do to the property?  :unsure:  Not that I expect we will, after all, we're such a dignified bunch . . . but.  I mean, what if there's a pie fight?  :laugh:

Ouch. My pie could bowl over 10.