• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

Hey Suzanne, maybe it would be good for you to post appropriate catering portions so people know how much to bring? I'm thinking about 2 oz per person per dish? So if you are bringing potato salad, for example, you should bring 10 lbs. Is that about right? We probably need at least 5 gallons of water, and 2+ gallons of each of the other non-alcoholic drinks.

Yes'm Miz Rachel. Since we will have so many dishes, smaller portions are indeed in order. If we figured on 50 full-size portions, that would probably more than suffice for this group. :unsure: That means:

Baked beans: start with 6 pounds dried navy beans

Cole Slaw: start with 10 pounds shredded cabbage, 1 quart shredded carrots, and about 3.5 quarts of dressing; similar for health salad

Cooked greens: start with 12 pounds

Grilled veg: start with 8 to 12 pounds of vegetables

Macaroni: start with 6 pounds dry

Sweet potatoes: 12 pounds

These are very rough numbers. I am not a caterer; maybe someone who IS could confirm or correct. In the meantime, if anyone else needs help with quantities, post or pm and I'll do my best to advise.

Oh, and it looks as though HWOE and I will also be riding with johnjohn. Elyse's pies may never make it across the GWB! :raz:

One more thing: I hope lots of people are bringing folding tables! Extrapolating from our experience at the NYC potluck, we'll need at least 108 square of table surface area: a minimum of 6 tables 3 feet by 6 feet each.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

I'm bringing a 10' X 10' canopy (with sides available if needed), my Weber grill (I can cook in 30 minute shifts and share). My appetizer will be stuffed jalepenos, aka ABTs. I will do 100 halves.

Jim

Yes'm Miz Rachel.  Since we will have so many dishes, smaller portions are indeed in order.  If we figured on 50 full-size portions, that would probably more than suffice for this group.

I have done quite a number of high attendance (50-100 adults) hotlucks/potlucks at my house and I think your numbers are way high. I ask each adult guest to bring appetizer portions for 10 to 12 people. No one gets to try everything, but much less food gets wasted. I'm a software engineer and not a caterer, but that is what seems to work at my potlucks.

One of my house rules is that you are not allowed to donate your leftovers to me. Anything not consumed gets taken home or trashed.

Jim

Water we have, really good deep well water with no Cl added. Probably better than the bottled stuff, and free, free, free.

The bread-and-cheese shop will be open until at least 5 PM, and people can leave orders in the bakehouse (68F) or ripening room (55F) to keep it cold.

80 people, eh? We're going to need a volunteer to coordinate parking. We've got lots of space, but a parking czar will avoid problems.

Jonathan & Nina White, cheesemakers/bakers

mailto:Jonathan@cowsoutside.com

Bobolink Dairy & Bakeyard

Grass-fed raw milk cheese

Wood-fired rustic breads

Located between Warwick, NY & Vernon, NJ

Our Webpage

Not to be a wet blanket but I'm reading through the menu and it just occured to me to mention that I'm allergic to tree nuts (not peanuts) and to poppy seeds. I'm sure other people coming have certain food allergies also. If anyone is making anything with the above ingredients which is not immediately obvious (I know not to eat pecan pie-for instance) could they please label their food accordingly?

Fortunately, I can eat all the pig I can hold. :wub:

Yes'm Miz Rachel.  Since we will have so many dishes, smaller portions are indeed in order.  If we figured on 50 full-size portions, that would probably more than suffice for this group.

I have done quite a number of high attendance (50-100 adults) hotlucks/potlucks at my house and I think your numbers are way high. I ask each adult guest to bring appetizer portions for 10 to 12 people. No one gets to try everything, but much less food gets wasted. I'm a software engineer and not a caterer, but that is what seems to work at my potlucks.

What did you think of my suggestion of approximately 2 oz of finished dish per person (pork not included)? That way there's enough for everyone to sample every dish, but also allows that some people will have a larger portion while others refrain completely.

Also, if you're the type of person who may wish to bring home leftovers of others' food, bring some plastic containers so everyone can take their own (real) dishes home. The disposable Glad® or Ziploc® containers are great.

or Lemonade and/or Iced Tea?

that's a great idea rachel. iced tea, even made with lipton, with some mint and sugar or mango juice, is always a welcome addition to any daytime get-together.

so, how about the water issue? seems that we won't need a ton of bottled water, but rather some jugs to siphon it from the farm?

What did you think of my suggestion of approximately 2 oz of finished dish per person (pork not included)? That way there's enough for everyone to sample every dish, but also allows that some people will have a larger portion while others refrain completely.

The problem here is scalability. Very few will be able to consume 50 2oz. portions. Roast hog makes a great social event, but the sides are going to be in what most people are interested. A typical pig roast provides 3 sides, beans, slaw and corn bread. With 50 side dishes, a fork full or two per person is the right quantity if everyone samples everything. In reality, there is no perfect measure. Early arrivals will get cleaned out quickly and late arrivals will have a lot of leftovers.

Jim

Jim, you are quite right. I struggled with those numbers, because I too know that not everyone will eat even a small portion of everything. And we won't have enough teenagers there to do the human vacuum cleaner thing. :raz:

Rachel's suggestion of the 2-ounce portion is good; the only problem is in working backwards to figure out how much of the ingredients to start with. That's why I posted those quantities. They are only suggestions; I'd expect that people will make quantities they're comfortable making and, more to the point, able to schlep, along with everything else.

Jim, you are quite right.  I struggled with those numbers, because I too know that not everyone will eat even a small portion of everything.  And we won't have enough teenagers there to do the human vacuum cleaner thing.  :raz:

Another way to control the early feeding frenzy is to put out a fourth of your side dish every hour. I signed up for 100 stuffed jalepeno halves. I'll put them out in batches of 25. It will also provide time for someone else to share my grill if needed.

Ice. What about ice? In the dual interests of food safety and cold beer, ice may need to be replenished during the day. I am completely unfamiliar with the area.

Jim

Ice.  What about ice?  In the dual interests of food safety and cold beer, ice may need to be replenished during the day.  I am completely unfamiliar with the area.

i think we figured that if everyone who is bringing a cooler would load up with ice, we'll be ok. and those who aren't planning on bringing a cooler, well maybe then can and bring some ice in it. :smile:

i think that should get us through the day. i hope.

I am considering coming down on Saturday to do some exploring of the area. It would be a lot more fun with some companionship. There doesn't appear to be much night life, but there are a lot of attractions in the area. Anyone interested?

Jim

Ah, I'm at the beach house with NO computer access...the newly installed cable DOES NOT WORK!!! I just came back to Princeton to check on things, am missing the culinary classes and all the updates on the Pig..I could just cry!

Yes, I'll adjust water accordingly. Jugs are most certainly coming with me. Warning, these jugs might hold a lot, but for they record, they don't stand up by themselves anymore. They'll need support. :laugh:

Guest johnh91011

Since I have just joined Egullet I would like to know when and where this shindig is happening (without having to read 270 emails to figure it out). I would appreciate a quick recap

Thanks

John :biggrin:

They are only suggestions; I'd expect that people will make quantities they're comfortable making and, more to the point, able to schlep, along with everything else.

That's good because there's no way in hell that I'm going to stuff 20 lbs. of prunes/dates with all that foie gras mousse (not to mention my pocketbook would yell at me). :blink:

Soba

Jugs are most certainly coming with me. Warning, these jugs might hold a lot, but for they record, they don't stand up by themselves anymore. They'll  need support.  :laugh:

Am I the only one who... nevermind.