• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

I keep forgetting to ask: who brought the pickled (?) red (?) onions?  They were absolutely PERFECT with the pig!!!

I'm not sure if you mean the Balsamic Glazed onions? Mario Batali recipe, but I tweak it a bit, he serves the onions whole, but I like to slice them and use less of the balsamic "syrup" that's in the roasting pan.

But I also recall some real pickled foods, not sure if it was onions, so I'm not sure what you might mean,,,

Rachel, I used powdered dried chipotle. I haven't tried the Chipotle in Adobo for this, but it could be interesting. I think it might be a little harder to avoid being quite spicy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing (depends on the audience)...

I used chipotles in adobo buzzed up in a food processor for the marinated grilled portobellas, that's one way to control the level of heat...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

and the Red Sox will win the wild card and beat the Yankees

sounds as if you have had enough sangria already :laugh:

being a lifelong red sox fan ( i even saw yaz play his senior year in high school - basketball as well as baseball) as most east enders tend to be i can only quote our motto

we live in hope and die in despair

but cubs and sox - wouldn't that be a great series to watch?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Word.

Say your Rosary.

First you get down on your knees,

Fiddle with your rosary.

Bow your head with great respect and...

Genuflect, Genuflect, Genuflect!

whatever happens i just want the stations to show Challenger flying during our National Anthem. If you don't know the story of Challenger and George Steinbrenner's use of him during Yankee(sigh) playoff games

http://www.eagles.org/challenger.html

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Word.

Say your Rosary.

Oy... I don't know if I could take it. I literally haven't been able to watch a baseball game since a certain-game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned in 1986.

--

and the Red Sox will win the wild card and beat the Yankees

sounds as if you have had enough sangria already :laugh:

being a lifelong red sox fan ( i even saw yaz play his senior year in high school - basketball as well as baseball) as most east enders tend to be i can only quote our motto

we live in hope and die in despair

so unless you are in your 90's you don't recall watching their last World Series celebration... :biggrin:

Edited by RockADS21 (log)

A.D.S.

Sam:

That's a handsome weasel you've got there. What's its name?

I had Dino (named after the Flintstone's dog whom he resembled in profile), Lolita and Herbie the Love Weasel. Crazy-assed little pets they are. Like kittens that never ever grow up. Thievery and teasing are their favorite sports. Very cute. And always a conversation starter when being walked on their leashes. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

so unless you are in your 90's you don't recall watching their last World Series celebration... :biggrin:

My dad was alive for the last Red Sox WS victory. He was two.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Shhh Katie, it's their ferret.

It's OK... although weasels and ferrets are cousins, it's common for ferret-lovers to call them weasels.

That is Zebulun.

As it so happens, Steven, Ellen and Momo dropped by to see the ferrets yesterday. Momo was apparently inconsolable that his mother got to play with the ferrets and he did not, and cried in the living room (as big tough dogs are wont to do). Anyway, there were some pretty cool pictures taken by Ellen. Asher is the salt-and-pepper looking one with the stripe on the middle of his head, and Issachar is the champagne colored one.

--

=mark, we are still loving your amazing bbq sauce.  it has been worked into many of my meals this week!  thanks again!

I'll probably whip up a batch to bring to the Raliegh Pig Pickin'

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak