• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

I have a couple chafing dishes if anyone needs to keep stuff hot. Just let me know, first dibs...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Someone needs to make greens or cornbread or mac and cheese.. maybe baked beans

I have just been informed that my wife makes a mean bean.

Unless someone had their heart set on eggplant casserole, put us down for baked beans.

Ok, I guess I oughta weigh in here:

1. Dogs: dogs are explicitly uninvited, no exceptions. Sorry, but we earn our living courtesy of the good humor of our cows and calves, and while they found Fat Guy's dog cute and adorable, multiple dogs and cows make for trouble. And then there's the issue of Hannah, our Akita-mutt cowdog, who is very, very protecive of her cow buddies. So, no dogs, with regrets.

2. Mac and Cheese: I really hink that Nina and I can manage to make a few rays of mac and cheese, afer all, we have the big ole oven, and we also happen to have lotsa cheese.

3. Kids are welcome, we have three of our own, and a trampoline to boot. I should point out that a farm is a great place for kids to have fun, but it is also a place rife with potential dangers for kids turned loose. It ought to be understood that kids need to be supervised, or even better, organized into some sort of supervised activities, if the numbers are large.

4. Inclement weather: now that we're at the 65+ stage, we;ve probably outgrown Bobolink's 10X20 market awning. We have a bunch of 10X10 awnings as well, so perhaps we can concatenate them all together into a Big Top.

5. Bread and cheese: I wish we could afford to offer to provide bread and cheese for the masses (huddled, if the weather is inclement). We can certainly make a killer mac-and-cheese (we use cutting-room scraps and other odd bits of unsalable but otherwise wholesome and delectable cheese), and if there's soem bread left over from the Sunday market we can probably pitch some of that in, too. We can keep our cheese shop open for the first hour or two of the event, to allow folks to taste and hopefully purchase mass quantities.

6. It'll come to me.....

Jonathan & Nina White, cheesemakers/bakers

mailto:Jonathan@cowsoutside.com

Bobolink Dairy & Bakeyard

Grass-fed raw milk cheese

Wood-fired rustic breads

Located between Warwick, NY & Vernon, NJ

Our Webpage

Is anyone doing a pecan pie?  If not, I have a derby-style bourbon pecan pie (a tart, really) recipe that will wake the dead.  And barbeque absolutely requires pecan pie.

Also, I wonder if we could get curdnerd to sell us a little of his product in the form of creme fraiche...?

go ahead and do it - that's what winner's circle pie is (can't legaly call it derby pie). if the birds are flying i can't guarantee that i'll make it there even to deliver dessert

if i make it there with whatever contribution it will be a bonus i guess

(sorry but when the hawk migration is going i'm really focused on that rather than anything else - this is why my freezer had thomas e watson frozen meats, the local sushi parlor/chinese restaurant is on speed dial and HORROR OF HORRORS i actually stop drinking for three months - it IS that important) :raz:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

(sorry but when the hawk migration is going i'm really focused on that rather than anything else - this is why my freezer had thomas e watson frozen meats, the local sushi parlor/chinese restaurant is on speed dial and HORROR OF HORRORS  i actually stop drinking for three months - it IS that important) :raz:

suzi. huh? what did i miss! :unsure:

(sorry but when the hawk migration is going i'm really focused on that rather than anything else - this is why my freezer had thomas e watson frozen meats, the local sushi parlor/chinese restaurant is on speed dial and HORROR OF HORRORS  i actually stop drinking for three months - it IS that important) :raz:

suzi. huh? what did i miss! :unsure:

nothing, my sweet

was talking about bringing a winners circle pie but 21 sept is the peak of the broadwing hawk migration which is my passion - even more than sex and food :biggrin:

during this time i do the LEAST amount of cooking i have to and stock the freezer with precooked protein or we do takeaway from our favorite sushi /chinese restaurants

if you were on foodbytes you might remember me from screen name henbird and since you missed the steak sannie trip in dec to american grill you would have missed kimwb's and my discussion of hawk migration - across the bar

(i'm a natural resource volunteer at picatinny arsenal and was a nj natural resource volunteer for several years)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

during this time i do the LEAST  amount of cooking i have to and stock the freezer with precooked protein or we do takeaway from our favorite sushi /chinese restaurants

get to the bit about stopping drinking. i mean, you're not mating with the hawks, are you? :unsure:

Dogs: dogs are explicitly uninvited, no exceptions.  Sorry, but we earn our living courtesy of the good humor of our cows and calves, and while they found Fat Guy's dog cute and adorable, multiple dogs and cows make for trouble.  And then there's the issue of Hannah, our Akita-mutt cowdog, who is very, very protecive of her cow buddies.  So, no dogs, with regrets.

We're sad, but understanding. We have the utmost respect for cows.

Current RSVP list:

Alanz + Lauren & Joshua - enigmatic pasta (3)

Andrew Fenton & the Mrs. - Banana Pudding (2)

Curdnerd & family - mac & cheese + supplying the location, that's enough (Cheese Shop will be open for the first hour or so of the event) (5)

Dbrociner + wife, Stephanie, and daughter Sophia - sweet potato casserole and garbage bags (3)

docsconz + wife & kids - home-made fresh apple-cider (5)

Double 0 + family - collards and maybe a tray of mac & cheese* (*see Curdnerd's post about mac & cheese) (4)

dumpling - non-alcoholic drinks and/or dumplings and/or wicked good blueberry PIE (1)

Elyse (took johnjohn's offer of a ride) - bringing pecan pie (1)

Fat Guy & Ellen (2)

Fink - bringing the cooked pig(s) at the reduced price of $4 per person (1?**)

herbacidal (1)

howard88 - Cole Slaw (2)

Hscottk + wife - baked beans (2)

Jason & Rachel Perlow - homemade sorbets/ices, maybe ice cream (2)

jogoode - maybe (1?**)

johnjohn - brownies (1) (offering rides from NYC or Long Island to Elyse...)

Jonathan Sibley (1)

JosephB & Donna, (sans puppy) - corn and tomato savory pastry (2)

KatieLoeb - Pastitsio (1)

Kim WB + guest - dessert from Pierre at Wegmans and a case of bottled water (2)

Lisa1349 + guest - PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer from Downington, PA (2)

Liz Johnson + husband - Dr. Pepper Cake,a table? (2)

LReda & Sue & children (2-6?**)

=Mark - ice, marinated grilled portobella mushrooms, table & chairs (1)

NewYorkTexan - maybe (1)

pnapoli + guest (2)

Randi + friend - fresh fruit and a dip for it (2)

rlibkind (Bob & Jean Sue) - baked beans (2)

RockADS21 + Mrs. Rock (2)

Rosie & Lowell - health salad (I think that's some kind of cole slaw) (2)

Slkinsey + bergerka - Ginger Snaps (needs a ride from NYC), derby-style bourbon pecan pie (2)

SobaAddict70 - mostarda or a fruit chutney is in order, to go along with some of curdnerd's cheese (1)

Suzanne and HWOE; potato salad of mysterious ethnicity (2)

Suzilightening - since she's planning on arriving late, she should probably bring a dessert (definite maybe) (1)

Tommy & the Mrs. - non-food stuffs (ice, paper plates, forks etc, napkins, cups) (2)

Right now we're at 67-72 approximately. **Please confirm your numbers, especially if there's a question park next to your entry above.

To Summarize Curdnerd's post/rules:

• 1. No Dogs.
    2. Making mac & cheese.
    3. Kids Welcome - someone needs to organize some kid activities and parents need to supervise them at all times
    4. We're gong to be using lots of small tents.
    5. Cheese Shop will be open for the first hour or so of the event.
    6. place marker. (perhaps a cap on the number of people? or parking instructions?)

Other notes:

• 1. We must completely clean up after ourselves. Everyone bring an extra bag or two and leave with some garbage, please.
    2. Tents (not camping tents, party tents), tables & chairs -- the more the merrier.
    3. The pig is $4 per person (kids count)
    4. Remember to check the RSVP list for what you offered to bring -- and before posting that you are thinking of bringing baked beans.

The menu, so far. If you are still trying to figure out what to bring... I think we are short on veggie (not starchy) side dishes. Also, we need bread. Some iced tea and lemonade would be nice. More appetizers.

Beverages

home-made fresh apple-cider

bottled water

BYOB

PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer

Appetizers

Dumplings?

fresh fruit and a dip for it (or is this a dessert?)

mostarda or a fruit chutney is in order, to go along with some of curdnerd's cheese (Soba - please note that curdnerd is not supplying cheese)

Mains

ROASTED/SMOKED PIG - that is the point of this whole thing, right?)

Pastitsio

Sides

Starchy

enigmatic pasta

mac & cheese

sweet potato casserole

baked beans (2 people are bringing baked beans)

corn and tomato savory pastry

potato salad of mysterious ethnicity

Veggie

Collards

Cole Slaw

marinated grilled portobella mushrooms

health salad

Desserts

Banana Pudding

blueberry PIE

pecan pie

homemade sorbets/ices

brownies

something chocolate from Pierre at Wegmans

Dr. Pepper Cake

Ginger Snaps

derby-style bourbon pecan pie

Misc (aka the more the merrier (TMTM))

Dry goods

tables, chairs, tents

ice

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

james, i think it's safe to say that *everyone* is invited.

if you don't want to cook, i'm sure we'll need stuff like paper goods, ice, soda, water, etc.  i suppose someone is compiling a list somewhere. 

i hope you can make it.

Editor's Note: There's a list above. I didn't want to do my own post, because I'm using them as place-holders for when I edit the RSVP list. Rachel

Thank you for the clear invitation!

Then the other question is: What's the deadline for a firm yea or nay?

Can I please be put on the definite maybe list?

(Offering rides from Staten Island if I come; I could also take Manhattanites if they come across on the ferry; I'd pick them up at the ferry terminal.)

Thanks,

James

Edited by hillbill (log)
Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Proposal:Since the cost is so unbelievable reasonable, how do the guests feel about tacking on two or three dollars to the $4 cost to pay for paper goods and garbage bags?

I'd volunteer to do a big Sam's Club order and get them there...this would insure that we have the necessary clean up materials, and enough plates to eat off of! Perhaps cases of water, too.

I'd also suggest that any leftover papergoods can be donated to God's Love We Deliver, a Food kitchen in New Brunswick..I'll drop them off there the next day.

One more suggestion, if we dod decide to do this, anyone who was planning on bringing paper goods could instead pre order some bread, and donate that.

So, what do you all think?

get to the bit about stopping drinking.    i mean, you're not mating with the hawks, are you?  :unsure:

no, tommy but i have found over the years that if i stop drinking all together my eyes don't get quite as tired when i'm out on the watch scanning the sky for 8-12 hours a day. don't know why but that's what i do....

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Um, Kim, since there are already a few people who have either volunteered to bring paper goods or have professed not being able to cook and are therefore willing to bring such items, or just haven't signed up for anything yet, I don't see why it would be necessary for everyone to chip in more cash. If everyone just brings an extra grocery bag and takes the garbage with them, the cleanup should be simple too.

70 ppl throwing in an extra dollar is a lot easier than 2 people throwing in 35 plus wine. (and i'm guessing the number will be a bit more than that)

anyway, it's not so much the money. but, perhaps a little brainstorming on *how much* of this stuff might be needed. i can't really get my head around this. and god knows with the way they sell plastic utensils, we'll have 300 spoons leftover. :wacko:

also, people might forget bags and it's one more thing to worry about for 70 people. i'll bring a freakin box of bags. jeesh.

Edited by tommy (log)