• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Guest johnh91011
I hope that the food we said we would bring doesn't have to be homecooked  :laugh:

We were planning to bring samosas which I would get from a retailer. Let me know if this is OK otherwise I will have to switch to plan B

As a matter of fact, the food not only has to be home cooked, it has to be from a home you built yourself.

Mmmm samosas! :wub:

Then it's on to plan C. :shock:

Jason posted some additional pictures that we took yesterday at Bobolink Farms (link above). Here are the ones that are relevant to our event:

bobolink14.jpg

This picture is taken from what will be our parking area to where we will be partying (the lawn with the trampoline). It's a nice, mostly flat, grassy area about the size of half a football field. The entrance to the parking lot is actually before the sign for Boblink Dairy. So someone will need to make a sign that says "eGullet Parking ->" to point the way. I shanghaied jhlurie into being one of the parking attendants, but I think we may need someone else. Jon nominated tommy. Any seconds?

bobolink15.jpg

The small grey building, down the hill from our plateau, is where Jonathan White actually makes the cheese. For us, it is important because that is where the bathroom for our event is located. You can see the roof of the market area on the far right of this photo. That Sunday will be a market day for Bobolink, so there may be other patrons in that area there to buy cheese and bread (we can too!). A large cold room and the brick oven are located off this covered patio.

bobolink9.jpg

The brick oven. It had been off for hours, but still registered around 500 F. There are also a couple of barbecue grills available for those that want to heat up/cook their food that way.

bobolink16.jpg

This door is located beneath and to the left of the bridge in the next picture.

bobolink1.jpg

This is the barn where we can hold the potluck in the case of rain. It is a very large space and, although I didn't see them, Jonathan says he has lights he can put up if we have to switch to the barn. The main thing is though, that the barn will need to be swept out the morning of the event to make it habitable. If several people do it, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so. But those that can, should plan on arriving early to help out. Hopefully, it won't rain so we can enjoy the beautiful farm.

The main thing is though, that the barn will need to be swept out the morning of the event to make it habitable. If several people do it, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so. But those that can, should plan on arriving early to help out.

Well that should solve the transportation question for some of us: we'll just ride our brooms there! :laugh:

Thanks for the pix, Rachel. Counting the days!!!!

Well the other thing about using the barn is that... well... it smelled like a barn. Not much we CAN do about that, but assuming electricity can be run around that side of the building a few fans might help, and maybe some incense. :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I, too, will have two guests.... well two and a half: they'll be bringing their one-month-old.

They would like to contribute a dish. Suggestions?

Liz Johnson + 3

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

This sounds like so much fun. I just asked Blovie if he'd be interested in attending a Pig BBQ and he threw back a dirty look. But, I'm going to work on him. We wouldn't be eating, but it would be nice to finally put faces with all the names.

When is the latest I can let you know?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

This sounds like so much fun.  I just asked Blovie if he'd be interested in attending a Pig BBQ and he threw back a dirty look.  But, I'm going to work on him.  We wouldn't be eating, but it would be nice to finally put faces with all the names.

Don't worry, a guy named Finklestein is making the bbq, so its kosher.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

This sounds like so much fun.  I just asked Blovie if he'd be interested in attending a Pig BBQ and he threw back a dirty look.  But, I'm going to work on him.  We wouldn't be eating, but it would be nice to finally put faces with all the names.

Don't worry, a guy named Finklestein is making the bbq, so its kosher.

If only it was that easy. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Things a vegetarian/kosher person could eat at the PigPotluck:

• Beverages

home-made fresh apple-cider

Lemonade

Well Water

BYOB

PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer

herbacidal-infused vodka

Sangria

Appetizers

fresh fruit and a dip for it (or is this a dessert?)

marinated olives

stuffed jalepenos, aka ABTs (I think these are stuffed with cheese)

Sides

Starchy

enigmatic pasta (I don't know if there's meat in this or not?)

mac & cheese

sweet potato casserole

baked beans (2 people are bringing baked beans) (ditto, baked beans frequently have meat, you'll have to check on the day)

corn and tomato savory pastry (pastry might be butter or lard, you'll have to check)

potato salad of mysterious ethnicity (another hidden meat possibility)

corn bread (ditto)

Sarcone's bread

Veggie

Collards (Double 0), Wilted Greens (Soba) (meat in the veggies? maybe, maybe not)

Cole Slaw

marinated grilled portobella mushrooms

health salad

Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce

Oven roasted tomatoes

grilled vegtables (peppers, zucc, corn etc - sabq)

Green Salad

Desserts

Banana Pudding

blueberry PIE (pie crust might be lard)

pecan pie (ditto)

homemade sorbets/ices

brownies

something chocolate from Pierre at Wegmans

Dr. Pepper Cake

Ginger Snaps

derby-style bourbon pecan pie

i'll bring lawndarts and firecrackers.

Yeah we can have kids play "pin the tail on the Tommy" with the lawn darts. The firecrackers can scare off any evil spirits and blow up any jello molds or extra baked beans anybody brings. :wink:

If you promise not to blow it up, I'll make a jello mold. I make really good jello molds.

I hope that the food we said we would bring doesn't have to be homecooked  :laugh:

We were planning to bring samosas which I would get from a retailer. Let me know if this is OK otherwise I will have to switch to plan B

As a matter of fact, the food not only has to be home cooked, it has to be from a home you built yourself. Mmmm samosas! :wub:

Then it's on to plan C. :shock:

John - store bought samosas are fine, as long as they are so good you just have to share your find! (just remember to bring enough for a crowd) Another Jon is probably bringing store bought baklava, and I know it's way better than anything he'd make himself.

Please RSVP by September 20th at midnight. How's that!?

If you do decide to come, I suggest you bring a vegetarian entree. :smile:

I, too, will have two guests.... well two and a half: they'll be bringing their one-month-old.

They would like to contribute a dish. Suggestions?

Please review menu and fill in a gap, if you can find one. More tables, chairs and tents are always welcome. Unlike the baked beans and cole slaw - I think the more Mac & Cheese the better!

Date, Time, Location: Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 1:30 PM. Bobolink Dairy, Vernon, NJ

Current RSVP list:

Alanz + Lauren & Joshua - enigmatic pasta (3)

Andrew Fenton & the Mrs. - Banana Pudding (2)

Curdnerd & family - mac & cheese + supplying the location, that's enough (Cheese Shop will be open for the first hour or so of the event) (5)

Dbrociner + wife, Stephanie, and daughter Sophia - sweet potato casserole and garbage bags (3)

docsconz + wife & kids - home-made fresh apple-cider (5)

Double 0 + family - collards and maybe a tray of mac & cheese* (*see Curdnerd's post about mac & cheese) (4)

dumpling - non-alcoholic drinks and/or dumplings and/or wicked good blueberry PIE (1)

Elyse (took johnjohn's offer of a ride) - bringing pecan pie (1)

Fat Guy & Ellen (2)

Fink - bringing the cooked pig(s) at the reduced price of $4 per person, also bringing sweet tea and apple cobbler (2?)

herbacidal - bags, extra plates & forks & stuff, Sarcone's bread, infused vodka, chinese dumplings (2-4?**)

hillbill - (offering rides from Staten Island/Ferry) - (maybe 1?**)

howard88 - Cole Slaw (3)

Hscottk + wife - baked beans (2)

Jason & Rachel Perlow - name tags, ice, homemade sorbets/ices, maybe ice cream (2)

jhlurie - baklava, parking czar (1)

jmcgrath - tent canopy, stuffed jalepenos, aka ABTs (1?**)

jogoode - maybe (1?**)

johnh91011 - samosas, an Indian appetizer (2)

johnjohn - brownies (1) (offering rides from NYC or Long Island to Elyse...)

Jonathan Sibley (1)

JosephB & Donna, (sans puppy) - corn and tomato savory pastry (2)

KatieLoeb - Pastitsio (1)

Kim WB + guest - dessert from Pierre at Wegmans and a case of bottled water (2)

Lisa1349 + guest - PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer from Downington, PA (2)

Liz Johnson + husband + guests w/baby - Dr. Pepper Cake, a table (yes, bring a table)(4.5)

=Mark - ice, marinated grilled portobella mushrooms, Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce, table & chairs (1)

pnapoli + guest - cornbread & chili (2)

Randi + friend - fresh fruit and a dip for it (2)

rlibkind (Bob & Jean Sue) - baked beans (2)

RockADS21 + Mrs. Rock - Sangria (2)

Rosie & Lowell - napkins, health salad (I think that's some kind of cole slaw) (2)

sabg - grilled vegtables, chairs, table (3)

Slkinsey + bergerka - Ginger Snaps (needs a ride from NYC), derby-style bourbon pecan pie (2)

SobaAddict70 - spicy marinated olives, French kisses, Oven roasted tomatoes, Wilted greens (1)

South Jersey Epicurean (Gary Kritz) - (making the pastichio/moussaka with Katie Loeb) (1)

Suzanne and HWOE; potato salad of mysterious ethnicity (2)

Suzilightening - since she's planning on arriving late, she should probably bring a dessert (definite maybe) (1)

Tommy & the Mrs. - non-food stuffs (ice, paper plates, cutlery , napkins, cups, garbage bags) (2)

wawairis - Green Salad and Lemonade (1?**)

Right now we're at 75-80 approximately.

**Please confirm your numbers, especially if there's a question mark next to your entry above.

To Summarize Curdnerd's post/rules:

• 1. No Dogs.
    2. Making mac & cheese.
    3. Kids Welcome - someone needs to organize some kid activities. Update: Dumpling volunteereed to be Camp Counselor, but parents should still supervise their children. (we're up to 9 kids)
    4. We're going to be using lots of small tents.
    5. The bread-and-cheese shop will be open until at least 5 PM, and people can leave orders in the bakehouse (68F) or ripening room (55F) to keep it cold.
    6. Parking Czar - this person should plan to arrive early. Update: jhlurie and tommy are being shanghaied into this position with me and Jason. Kim WB will organize the tables & food set up after people have parked.

Other notes:

• 1. KP Duty - We must completely clean up after ourselves. Everyone bring an extra bag or two and leave with some garbage, please.
    2. Tents (not camping tents, party tents), tables & chairs -- the more the merrier.
    3. The pig is $4 per person (kids count too)
    4. Remember to check the RSVP list for what you offered to bring -- and before posting that you are thinking of bringing baked beans :wink:, I think two people making baked beans is enough.
    5. Please label your food if it contains fish or meat of any kind (I should say if it does not obviously contain meat. I don't think the Pig needs to be labeld, but if the collard greens or baked beans have meat, that should be labeled.
    6. Pray for no rain. If you don't, you are volunteering to sweep out the barn!
i don't know how many people are bringing coolers, but i'm sure if everyone just threw a couple of bags of ice in, we'll be fine.  unless there's a need for ice that i'm not thinking of.
Excellent suggestion, tommy. If you are bringing your food in a cooler, take note of above.

5. Recipes - If everyone will please post their recipes on recipeGullet that would be great. Also, if your food contains any common allergens, please bring a tag (like a table tent maybe?) to label your food. Thanks.

6. Leftovers - We're not leaving any for Curdnerd unless he specifically asks for something on the day. So, if you're the type of person who may wish to bring home leftovers of others' food, bring some plastic containers so everyone can take their own (real) dishes home. The disposable Glad® or Ziploc® containers are great.

Current Menu:

The menu, so far.* If you are still trying to figure out what to bring... Some iced tea would be nice. More appetizers maybe?

• Beverages
    home-made fresh apple-cider
    Lemonade
    Well Water
    BYOB
    PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer
    herbacidal-infused vodka
    Sangria
    Sweet Tea
    Appetizers
    Dumplings (dumpling)
    chinese dumplings (herbacidal) - the more dumplings the merrier!
    fresh fruit and a dip for it (or is this a dessert?)
    marinated olives
    French Kisses (dates & foie gras???)
    samosas, an Indian appetizer
    stuffed jalepenos, aka ABTs
    Mains
    ROASTED/SMOKED PIG - that is the point of this whole thing, right?)
    Pastitsio
    Chili
    Sides
    Starchy
    enigmatic pasta
    mac & cheese
    sweet potato casserole
    baked beans (2 people are bringing baked beans)
    corn and tomato savory pastry
    potato salad of mysterious ethnicity
    corn bread
    Sarcone's bread
    Veggie
    Collards (Double 0), Wilted Greens (Soba)
    Cole Slaw
    marinated grilled portobella mushrooms
    health salad
    Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce
    Oven roasted tomatoes
    grilled vegtables (peppers, zucc, corn etc - sabq)
    Green Salad
    Desserts
    Apple Cobbler
    Baklava
    Banana Pudding
    blueberry PIE
    pecan pie
    homemade sorbets/ices
    brownies
    something chocolate from Pierre at Wegmans
    Dr. Pepper Cake
    Ginger Snaps
    derby-style bourbon pecan pie
    Misc (aka the more the merrier (TMTM))
    Dry goods
    tables, chairs (BYOC), tents
    ice

* If what you offered to bring isn't on the list, please post (don't PM) me with edits.

I'm in for the piggyroast, albeit a late addition.

So what remains a need at this shindig?

Cold Sesame Noodles?

more beer?

finger foods?

something in quantity?

Please let me know.

Rich Pawlak

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'm in for the piggyroast, albeit a late addition.

So what remains a need at this shindig?

Cold Sesame Noodles?

more beer?

finger foods?

something in quantity?

Please let me know.

Rich Pawlak

i'm sure you can acquire a more flavorful+lesser known+not widely available beer than most people, rich.

perhaps that would be a worthy contribution.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Perhaps a pin or sixtel of something from Sly Fox in Phoenixville, PA, or something extra tasty from Saranac in Utica, NY. I laso imagine something wonderful from Yards can be obtained by me as well.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"