• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

Elyse, I'm not sure if you're serious, and I apologize if it seems I have no sense of humor, or am insensitive..$25 seems very nominal to me...I'd really like to se e  if this can come togehter, but if the general consensus is that $25 is too much, I don't think it's realistic to plan anything.  Last time I checked, movies and pocorn cost $20!  But I would appreciate feedback..

if that's what Fink is charging it's fine by me. i suppose i'll be bringing wine and/or beer, which will surely cost more than 25 alone. i'd pay almost 100 bucks to spend the day with you people and a pig. :wub:

Well, any talk of location, price or details is presumptuous...I don't know Fnk, so I am hoping someone will communicate with him and see if he's up for the event! :unsure:

Howdy!!

To explain the $1000 to set up and roast a pig on site: Two people have spend a couple of hours prepping the pig the day before, the spit has to be rented and charcoal, has to be bought. EARLY EARLY the next morning or even late the night before two people have to go out, get the fire going and put the pig or pigs up. One of them has to stay to maintain the fire and watch the pig. Come serving time, two people again, removing the pig from the spit and carving and serving it, cleaning and packing everything back into our truck(s) and coming home, unpacking the trucks, cleaning the last of the stuff up and putting every thing away.

On your end you get a 60 pound pig roasted in your yard with no fuss, no muss, a gallon of sauce, slaw, beans, greens and corn bread.

At the $5 a pound rate to do a pig($300) at my store plus the cost of the other food ($225) the price isn't that crazy considering the labor involved in the actual offsite roasting of the pigs.

Anywho, that said, like I noted above we can do a pig and sides at the store deliver them hot, with some smoked chicken for as few as 20 people for $16 a head or if it becomes a pot luck I can bring just the pig at $4 per person (discounted as my part of the pot luck)

As far as a park in River Edge and booze, let me check with the rec dept in town.

All of this is ok by me and I can travel up to two hours (not much further than Trenton)

I believe this covers all questions, concerns and comments.

Fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

Ok, just to update everyone: I have made some calls to centrally located potential recreation areas for this event.

Once I get prices and details, I will post the estimated price range. If there is a general consensus that the price and location is acceptable, we can formalize it all with Fink. Now, the time frame: How does eveyone feel about early/mid September?

Works for me, just don't get it too close to Varmint's shinpig...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

We've got a backyard.....and a really big oven for the sides. Actually, we could stuff a whole pig in there.

Is the Fink in question Al's son?

Jonathan & Nina White, cheesemakers/bakers

mailto:Jonathan@cowsoutside.com

Bobolink Dairy & Bakeyard

Grass-fed raw milk cheese

Wood-fired rustic breads

Located between Warwick, NY & Vernon, NJ

Our Webpage

Actually, this would be a great opportunity to visit Jonathan's farm AND do an eG event.

Jonathan, it would be VERY gracious of you to host this... if you are definitely up to it, then we should do it.

Fink is http://www.finksfunky.net , his name is Dave Finkelstein...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If you all are serious about this pig shindig then please keep the thread referenced on the PA board as well. I would most certainly drive several hours for the pleasure of trying Fink's funky roast pig, as well as the opportunity to meet some more eGulleteers. I'd even bring a carload of Philly folk with me! If this happened somewhere in the Central Jersey environs then we could all try and make it there - the NY, NJ and PA crowds! What fun! Please keep us informed.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

We've got a backyard.....and a really big oven for the sides.  Actually, we could stuff a whole pig in there.

Is the Fink in question Al's son?

Thanks for the offer. How sweet. Are you sure the cows won't mind? :smile:

How many people would be willing to drive to the farm?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I'd go! It sounds terrific!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

sounds wonderful - as long as i can get there a little late (like after the hawks stop flying for the day). i have a pull-out couch if someone wants to crash instead of driving too far back

oh... and for Rock, tommy and lou - you can alsways check out high heels on 15 south - they're almost done with the renovations and the kitchen is now open - or at least that's what their new sign says :raz:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

oh... and for Rock, tommy and lou - you can alsways check out high heels on 15 south - they're almost done with the renovations and the kitchen is now open - or at least that's what their new sign says :raz:

That all well and fine but do they have a children's menu? :laugh:

Howdy!!

To explain the $1000 to set up and roast a pig on site:  Two people have spend a couple of hours prepping the pig the day before, the spit has to be rented and charcoal, has to be bought.  EARLY EARLY the next morning or even late the night before two people have to go out, get the fire going and put the pig or pigs up.  One of them has to stay to maintain the fire and watch the pig.  Come serving time, two people again, removing the pig from the spit and carving and serving it, cleaning and packing everything back into our truck(s) and coming home, unpacking the trucks, cleaning the last of the stuff up and putting every thing away.

On your end you get a 60 pound pig roasted in your yard with no fuss, no muss, a gallon of sauce, slaw, beans, greens and corn bread. 

At the $5 a pound rate to do a pig($300) at my store plus the cost of the other food ($225) the price isn't that crazy considering the labor involved in the actual offsite roasting of the pigs.

Anywho, that said,  like I noted above we can do a pig and sides at the store deliver them hot, with some smoked chicken for as few as 20 people for $16 a head or if it becomes a pot luck I can bring just the pig at $4 per person (discounted as my part of the pot luck)

As far as a park in River Edge and booze, let me check with the rec dept in town.

All of this is ok by me and I can travel up to two hours (not much further than Trenton)

I believe this covers all questions, concerns and comments. 

Fink

I like the idea of doing this as a pot luck, since cooking the pig onsite adds so much to the cost. Fink, if we are indeed able to use curdnerd's oven (I think you guys need to discuss this privately to see if it is really feasible), how would that effect the cost of cooking the pig on-site?

Since curdnerd so graciously offered us his farm to hold this gathering, I think the date needs to be somewhat up to him. Please let us know which dates are good for you. As a starting point, since the Jewish holidays are late this year (RH is on Sept 27-28), I suggest the weekend after Labor Day: Saturday, September 6th or Sunday the 7th; or the following weekend, the 13th or 14th.

The other thing we need to be sure if is that in event of rain, we have a place to retreat. Is there a barn or some place onsite that we can go if the weather gets bad?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host