• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

stagis

Pizza Toppings: Simple/Elaborate, Traditional/Unusual

People put prosciutto on pizza, which is about the same cost per pound as a good soppressata.

What a waste, to each their own.

I like lobster on pizza.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

People put prosciutto on pizza, which is about the same cost per pound as a good soppressata.

It's fairly traditional, I thought, but it's added after baking. Very common with a bit of arugula.

I like lobster on pizza.

Well, my comment was directed at the notion that if something, i.e., prosciutto, soppressata, etc., is expensive, it's wasted on pizza.

I think that's dead wrong.

So, okay:

In my view, the notion that if something, i.e., prosciutto, soppressata, etc., is expensive, it's wasted on pizza, is dead wrong.

Edited by heidih (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I like lobster on pizza.

Well, my comment was directed at the notion that if something, i.e., prosciutto, soppressata, etc., is expensive, it's wasted on pizza.

I think that's dead wrong.

Perhaps I should have stated it more clearly.

So, okay:

In my view, the notion that if something, i.e., prosciutto, soppressata, etc., is expensive, it's wasted on pizza, is dead wrong.

And I'd just like to add that I think Wolfgang Puck would agree.

34 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Pizza night.  Mashed potato for the teen

Both look great - but I have to admit this is the first time I read about mashed potato pizza. What do you do there: just mashed potatoes spread over the pizza & cheese (and do I see bacon pieces) ?

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Both look great - but I have to admit this is the first time I read about mashed potato pizza. What do you do there: just mashed potatoes spread over the pizza & cheese (and do I see bacon pieces) ?

I had not heard of it until recently either.  There is a pizza place across the street from my niece's school that makes it, and this is the flavor that she and all of her friends like the most.  It's a layer of mozzarella, topped with warm mashed potatoes seasoned per usual, then cheddar, then bacon and chives, and a final sprinkling of cheddar.  

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

57 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

It's a layer of mozzarella, topped with warm mashed potatoes seasoned per usual, then cheddar, then bacon and chives, and a final sprinkling of cheddar.  

Damn it ... eGullet really is an enabler. Idea written down and saved for next pizza night.

For tonight: Pizza Oxtail (with greek-style braised oxtail, braising liquid as sauce and spring onions for contrast) ...

A9603290-6991-4006-856F-C3142BBBEC57.thumb.jpeg.59b65f231e0f3d1f96d7897ab15500a4.jpeg

... and Pizza Anchovy with San Marzano tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and salt-cured anchovies.

6B95146C-529B-4780-A984-846C5088C189.thumb.jpeg.a87d8199b6479700ad39749b7758642b.jpeg

165507E7-72B1-457D-A9AF-6DB9D69736B2.thumb.jpeg.beaaa95cbe09340af3301543a2cb3c14.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

@liamsaunt I have concerns about mashed potatoes as a pizza topping. For a start they don’t add much grease to the final product. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@liamsaunt I have concerns about mashed potatoes as a pizza topping. For a start they don’t add much grease to the final product. 

You make your mashed potatoes wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

21 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

😁 I use whipping cream and salt, nothing else. Pizza needs added pork fat...or cheese. Mashed potatoes are one step away from pineapple 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

😁 I use whipping cream and salt, nothing else. Pizza needs added pork fat...or cheese. Mashed potatoes are one step away from pineapple 

• Haha 7

10 hours ago, Duvel said:

Damn it ... eGullet really is an enabler. Idea written down and saved for next pizza night.

For tonight: Pizza Oxtail (with greek-style braised oxtail, braising liquid as sauce and spring onions for contrast) ...

A9603290-6991-4006-856F-C3142BBBEC57.thumb.jpeg.59b65f231e0f3d1f96d7897ab15500a4.jpeg

... and Pizza Anchovy with San Marzano tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and salt-cured anchovies.

6B95146C-529B-4780-A984-846C5088C189.thumb.jpeg.a87d8199b6479700ad39749b7758642b.jpeg

165507E7-72B1-457D-A9AF-6DB9D69736B2.thumb.jpeg.beaaa95cbe09340af3301543a2cb3c14.jpeg

I found the cork.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

Mashed potatoes are one step away from pineapple 

Mashed potatoes on pizza are one step away from the garbage can. Pineapple pizza, on the other hand, is otherworldly, but only if the fruit is fresh and tart. Yes, I moved from NY to CA and I changed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

In Western Canada perogy pizza is a thing. Sour cream, potatoes, bacon, green onions and both mozza and cheddar.

I didn't find it especially appealing, but it was okay I guess. I won't throw stones, because here on my side of the country we came up with donair pizza. Ontario gave birth to the Hawaiian pizza, and I've heard rumors of poutine-topped pies in Quebec, so I guess the Great White North has something to offend every purist. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Potatoes as a pizza topping have long been a favourite in our house.

Hash brown pizza is a big hit (crispy fried potatoes, with onions and garlic - usually accompanied by smoked pepperoni and mozz)

As is smashed young potatoes (freshly pulled potatoes, boiled and laden with ramp oil - mashed and used as a pizza base (no sauce besides the taters).

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Given the chance, I would eat this potato pizza in a NY minute.

That does look very nice, and I would certainly eat it happily. But pizza with mashed potatoes? No. Never. 

On 11/3/2019 at 5:52 AM, chromedome said:

In Western Canada perogy pizza is a thing. Sour cream, potatoes, bacon, green onions and both mozza and cheddar.

I didn't find it especially appealing, but it was okay I guess. I won't throw stones, because here on my side of the country we came up with donair pizza. Ontario gave birth to the Hawaiian pizza, and I've heard rumors of poutine-topped pies in Quebec, so I guess the Great White North has something to offend every purist. :P

Someone has too much time on their hands. And beer.

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Tonight for dinner I made a pizza with gorgonzola, Brussels sprouts, and walnuts: probably more typical as a salad than a pizza topping, but I'd guess I'm not the first to make this combo. It was delicious. For the crust I used a simple sourdough, no frills.

Pre-baking

20200327-175451.jpg

Post -baking (dressed with a cold salad of Brussels sprouts dressed in sherry vinegar and olive oil):

20200327-181001.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

14 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Tonight for dinner I made a pizza with gorgonzola, Brussels sprouts, and walnuts: probably more typical as a salad than a pizza topping, but I'd guess I'm not the first to make this combo. It was delicious. For the crust I used a simple sourdough, no frills.

Pre-baking

20200327-175451.jpg

Post -baking (dressed with a cold salad of Brussels sprouts dressed in sherry vinegar and olive oil):

20200327-181001.jpg

Small tip if you hadn't thought to do it. Try melting some of the gorgonzola in a pan and sauteeing the sprouts a little in it before adding to the pizza. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not my own invention, but last night, I made the Fava, Ricotta and Lemon Pizza from Joe Yonan's Cool Beans cookbook.

IMG_2208.thumb.jpeg.8e1c48e8b375b6456056d01f788b6478.jpeg

IMG_2212.thumb.jpeg.4c32529e7b16279aebc303199b6bf9c2.jpeg

IMG_2213.thumb.jpeg.1c0d6d48f77bfb47f5c4549ef8109f85.jpeg

The dough - I bought one of the refrigerated dough balls from TJ's for the first time - gets topped with dollops of a fava/toasted pistachio/mint pesto, ricotta, lemon slices and favas.  More mint goes on after baking.  

This was good, but not great.  That pesto was absolutely tongue-tingling delicious right out of the blender but muted after baking with the ricotta and everything else.  I think these ingredients would shine more brightly on crostini or even pasta and I'd likely replace the lemon slices with slivers of preserved lemon. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Inspired by Fuchsia Dunlop's Land of Plenty, tonight's pizza was a (now two-day old) sourdough crust topped with sauce of chile oil and sediment, light soy, sesame paste, and chinkiang vinegar. To that I added peanuts and the spine of a cabbage pre-bake, and post-bake the rest of the cabbage and some toasted sesame seeds.

Pre-bake:

20200328-182351.jpg

Post-bake:

20200328-185407.jpg

Slice:

20200328-185454.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Blech.

I thought that might be your reaction. In truth, it was... OK. Tasted like one of Dunlop's Sichuan noodle dishes, but crunchier. I ate it, but I probably wouldn't make it again. It was also sort of ridiculously spicy, you have to use a lot of chile oil to get reasonable coverage.

• Like 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org