• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2024

liuzhou

On 3/31/2024 at 2:33 AM, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

I've never heard of flowering cauliflower and it does sound interesting. I am not a fan of cauliflower and really just consider it bland tasteless mush 🙃.

Have you ever tried roasted cauliflower?  Should one of these dread veg happen into your kitchen, I highly recommend trying it. It's pretty much the opposite of mush and I find it quite tasty.  I'm happy to gobble it up right off the sheet pan but I also like use in other ways.  We have a Roasted Cauliflower topic with over 400 comments and at least one recipe: Roasted Cauliflower (aka Jim Dixon's Roasted Cauliflower, no wait,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Have you ever tried roasted cauliflower?  Should one of these dread veg happen into your kitchen, I highly recommend trying it. It's pretty much the opposite of mush and I find it quite tasty.  I'm happy to gobble it up right off the sheet pan but I also like use in other ways.  We have a Roasted Cauliflower topic with over 400 comments and at least one recipe: Roasted Cauliflower (aka Jim Dixon's Roasted Cauliflower, no wait,

Thanks. I'll check out the topic and give it a go.

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Hoisin-Glazed Cauliflower with Mixed Grains and Cashews from Tenderheart by Hetty Lui McKinnon.  Clearly a very unpopular vegetable in these parts!

9A4B5A25-B306-4A6E-BB95-BF496F636CBF_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.045663ffcfd6bd4e5ad397890b81dae1.jpeg
This was a win and something I'll happily repeat. It includes a recipe for homemade hoisin that's very tasty.
I cooked the mixed grains in the Instant Pot using the timing I usually do for the Massa Organics brown rice that made up the bulk of the mix. I thought the white rice would surely turn to mush, but it did not and the quinoa was a nice addition. I'm looking forward to mixing up other grains in the future. 

• Like 11

Fishcakes for breakfast (just not the way my mother would have made them).

Poached flaked haddock, sauteed onion, bell pepper (not green) and Thai chilis, green onion tops, cilantro, and Thai basil with just enough mayo and panko to bind, then coated in panko and refrigerated overnight to firm up and for the flavours to meld.

Gently pan fried in a bit of butter and served with tomato and blood orange.

DSCN1881.thumb.JPG.9799ce17144f53801e2e96c2ce589179.JPG 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Big potato pancake with quick-pickled apple salad from Hetty McKinnon's Tenderheart. Hetty's pancake is a lot bigger than mine.  The recipe calls for a full kilo of potatoes (2.25 lbs) cooked in an 8.5" skillet.

790F610C-D352-415D-A716-0F90224530E8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c6bdb3b6fbb04c069fe47937a372f787.jpeg

Nice twist on the usual potato pancakes and applesauce.  She recommends adding an optional dollop of sour cream to the pickled apple salad.  I was afraid it would look curdled so I put it on the side. 

Indeed it does look that way, but it tastes quite delicious so I'd probably go with it in the future. 

1CA74709-65BA-46D5-B874-D8BB7606B832_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c67578e2ccf5c5bf67615896da20a5d4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Never willing to let leftover pasta go to waste, I took the other night's leftover pasta and made this:

IMG_1846.thumb.jpeg.e862e84499f9e62bb145b2161847bca1.jpeg

Frittata with artichoke pasta.

IMG_1848.thumb.jpeg.03d507faf4e1f9e29668a63be8a3fe9b.jpeg

With some avocado toast and tomatoes - I'm practically Californian!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Breakfast is generally not a planned meal for me.

PXL_20240404_072558875.thumb.jpg.017575acd53155dc3e9627bc9e0f5d01.jpg

Avocado toast with three slices of anchovy, mug of tea to the side.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Road food is always iffy. But here's a shoutout to a tiny hole in the wall in Douglas AZ called El Rinconcito del Sabor. Lovely people and very good huevos rancheros with perfect fried eggs. We were the only customers except for a group of eight older men who meet there every Friday morning. I wanted iced tea and they had no black tea, but offered me an iced ginger tea that was really unusual and very good. Tortillas all made in house. Red sauce and green sauce in large unmarked bottles on the table: both very very hot and tasty. Also the best refried beans I've ever eaten. Mostly I'm not a fan, but these were smooth and almost soupy and delicious. 

I rarely seek out doughnuts, but we left Borrego Springs early for a long day of driving and didn't want to dawdle. We stopped at Donut Avenue in Brawley CA. Best unglazed buttermilk I've ever had! You never know.

• Like 4

Two recent breakfasts.

Breakfast wrap of eggs with green Thai and finger peppers, green onion, cilantro and shrimp with pepper jack and lettuce.

Egg with fresh chives and dill, smoked salmon and lettuce on a toasted brioche bun.

GreenEggsandShrimpWrap.thumb.JPG.a9bcebcc0905568661db2956d68bc7a0.JPGEggwithChivesandKillSmokedSalmonandLettuceonBrioche.thumb.JPG.81610c12e2da75dc18dee229d78be785.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Inspired by @Ann_T's recent post, but sadly lacking her amazing bread, I made do with my egg salad on a brioche bun:

If you enjoy egg salad, have you tried the Japanese"7-Eleven" egg salad sando.  There are a few variations floating around. Ideally, it's made with Japanese milk bread (Shokupan), but I can't easily find good samples and so have taken to using challah.  The egg-y challah seems to go very well with the egg salad mixture.

Edited by Shel_B
Spelling (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

33 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

If you enjoy egg salad, have you tried the Japanese"7-Eleven" egg salad sando.  There are a few variations floating around. Ideally, it's made with Japanese milk bread (Shokupan), but I can't easily find good samples and so have taken to using challah.  The egg-y challah seems to go very well with the egg salad mixture.

Oh dear … that’s an ambitious target. Shokupan of course, crustless. The egg salad is tricky: there is an excess of yolk, plenty of kewpie and - from sources I trust - a drop of fish sauce (I know no one believes me, but the closest I’ve ever gotten was with fish sauce). Anyway, as much as I’d like to I am still those last 5% away from the iconic original (of which I had a looooooot) …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Oh dear … that’s an ambitious target. Shokupan of course, crustless. The egg salad is tricky: there is an excess of yolk, plenty of kewpie and - from sources I trust - a drop of fish sauce (I know no one believes me, but the closest I’ve ever gotten was with fish sauce). Anyway, as much as I’d like to I am still those last 5% away from the iconic original (of which I had a looooooot) …

Nami, at Just One Cookbook, has a very detailed description and recipes for the egg salad and the bread on her site. I make the egg salad mixture just a bit differently, separating the white from the yolks, then finely chopping the whites and adding the desired amount to the yolks.

For the bread:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-milk-bread-shokupan/

For the tamago sando:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-egg-sandwich-tamago-sando/

Edited by Shel_B
Additional information (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

... Shel

I like Nami, and most if her recipes are decent. So is this one, but it neither gives the right texture (compared to the original, which is smoother), nor the taste I am looking for … as I said: it’s ambitious (and I have played around a lot 🤗).

Last of the home grown tomatoes on English crumpets. I will be looking on with envy at Northern Hemisphere home grown tomatoes in the near future I guess. We still have plenty in the shops of course… all year round but the mid winter golf balls are less than ideal. 

A57C565D-5754-4ECA-8E2D-8B490786AC7F.jpeg.6a3ae338e226ebcb241572682573cb3c.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Eggs basted/steamed in some of the saved chicken fat from my Korean wings with mushrooms, green onion, coriander and a toasted garlic naan. The gochujang flavour came through nicely.

KoreanEggswithMushroomsGreenOnionCilantroandNaan.thumb.JPG.8cf9b0e7cb1d2a051b46439c5818ae14.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1