• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

36 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Treated ourselves to some nice filet mignon from Costco.  Cooked SV then seared.  With baked sweet potato and steamed broccolini.

How long did it take to prepare the meat, from fridge to plate?

... Shel

I have not been cooking anything special the past couple of weeks, because covid has been ripping through my house. We all succumbed one day after the other one until we were all infected.  Argh.  Everyone's ok now though.  Here's a couple of things I made on the nights I actually cooked.

A NY Times recipe for chicken spiedie with buttered broccoli

chickenspiedie.thumb.jpg.5d890c16e833949943ca352dcf353498.jpg

My nephew grilled steaks that night too, for the red meat eaters

steak.thumb.jpg.7fae576d09c3f45a8560ced317a72962.jpg

Mutter paneer and a vegetable korma I made with a huge zucchini my CSA gave me.  That turned out to be a decent use for it.  I did discard the seedy center

curry.thumb.jpg.0da42dc77ab3e1a5a6cd2099a10eef8d.jpg

Ramen noodle bowl with mushrooms, spinach and jammy eggs, a comfort meal on the day I was feeling particularly ill.  

ramen.thumb.jpg.7523b9b016144c3c3c851cc6e066fde1.jpg

Chicken shawarma

shawarma.thumb.jpg.a51cf4093c13fd39158a7d3b104e171f.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

We have a Tapas and Paella night coming up in September so I thought I ought to start practicing for the night. I cooked up this Paella tonight. Chicken, prawn and squid rings. Red pepper and peas, and a shortcut using shop bought passata instead of making a pukka tomato sauce.

IMG_1405.thumb.jpeg.c3ea483cbae75acded0f2217eb25fa78.jpegI cook with an induction hob and cannot use a traditional paella pan so use this Le Creuset non stick paella pan. Unfortunately this means we don’t get much of a Socarrat on the base.

The recipe was an interpretation of one of the straight forward and simpler recipes from “Paella” by Alberto Herraiz. The book explores some of the traditional methods and recipes of cooking the dish, delving into the near science behind cooking paella.

A lot of the recipes in the book start on the stove before cooking in the oven which seems a little unusual to me. I always thought of paella as being a stove top recipe.

IMG_1408.thumb.jpeg.b3dded4c24dd7993f24d9f77d488aa73.jpeg

Edited by Tempest63 (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

A few days ago Charlie asked me to make some more of the bulgogi I made earlier this month. Yesterday I was in Walmart and saw a two pound pork Picnic roast and thought that would be an ideal size roast for us, even with a couple days of leftovers.  Picnic and shoulder roasts are right next to each other on the pig and taste the same and picnic is easier to slice up.  Also yesterday I got some okra at the farmers market and fried it up today. I only see it at farmers market and mostly  only around August and September, so I try to make is a couple times a year. We also had rice and kimchi.

IMG_1765.jpg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1