• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

@Paul Bacino - curious to hear what you think of the Dryads Saddle - and how you prepare them.

I  have pickled them,  before.  They can be really woody,  if I'm fortunate to get really fresh ones, i would sauté in butter or stock.  I don't go out of my way, to worry  about them

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

Khichiri (basmati rice and masoor dal) topped with an over-easy egg. Sauteed onion, chiles, ginger, garlic, cumin, cardamom, whole cloves, cinnamon stick, black peppercorns, and turmeric kept it from being bland.

Added quick-pickled daikon, carrot, and cucumber after picture time.

Apparently "kedgeree", which I have made in the past, is the anglicized version of khichiri.

Kichiri_202405.thumb.jpg.f1c085d98658e105144e3cc709bff4ca.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Burger - patty made with ground beef, chili and garlic powder. Over shredded lettuce and with cheddar and a quick BBQ sauce made with caramelized onions, ketchup, chili and garlic powder, cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce cooked down to the right consistency

IMG_9444.thumb.jpeg.da61549bcde5dc3c994a974292747c2d.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Apparently "kedgeree", which I have made in the past, is the anglicized version of khichiri.

Nice.

Originally खिचड़ी in Hindi (khichri and various other transliterations), kedgeree was described by visitors to India hundreds of years ago, long before British rule.. The Arab traveller Ibn Batuta wrote in 1340 that

The munj (mung bean) is boiled with rice, and then buttered and eaten. This is what they call Kishri, and on this dish they breakfast every day.

The word for lentils in Hindi, दाल। (daala) covers many more species than the English and includes mung beans.

Under British influence and for British Raj colonialists, flaked fish or smoked fish replaced the pulses and chopped hard-boiled eggs came into the dish. Fish-based kedgeree is still popular in the UK and even in India. I was served an excellent version several years ago in Kolkata.

I’ve often thought of making it here in China, but the only smoked fish I can source is much more heavily smoked / cured than that used in India or the UK and tends to overpower the spices in the dish. I know it can be made with fresh, unsmoked fish, but for me the whole point of kedgeree is that smokiness. I occasionally make the traditional version with lentils, but with fish I tend to just go for a Chinese fried rice.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Pork tenderloin cubes marinated in EVOO, lemon juice,  garlic, chilli and crushed (roasted) coriander seeds. Stir-fried in the marinade. Served with a simple white onion, tomato and coriander leaf salad and rice.

porkricesalad1.thumb.jpg.cd85fa24c758c0c0c84ee42af68ff0eb.jpg

porkricesalad2.thumb.jpg.6f9358df5c90e4b378f50903fb2f8fd0.jpg

porkricesalad3.thumb.jpg.4dca1f9d876c1dc1454b17357e7a13e9.jpg

porkricesalad4.thumb.jpg.65c0e2fad08f5bcb494cbe562b1471ee.jpg

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Meera Sodha's rutabaga laksa from her cookbook East.  I used a local Macomber turnip from my CSA box.

rutabagalaksa.thumb.jpg.1c44b39660e813aed6891b0e68547599.jpg

That is … interesting. Can you outline the recipe a bit ?

I haven't been posting much on this topic lately because with my diminishing capabilities in the kitchen our meals are nourishing but visually pretty boring. But the last couple nights I did take some pictures.

20240529_184454.thumb.jpg.fe87cf75586e187a5cc2dbe8fc97b6b6.jpg

Asparagus is something that you rarely find here and when you do it is prohibitively expensive but the last few weeks I've been able to find it at a really good price and we are taking advantage of it. This was a breaded pork cutlet with asparagus and lemon, butter sauce.

20240530_175737.thumb.jpg.7d8c4d5bb30e12caefbbaee9a021fe88.jpg

Although it is the rainy season here, it is still hotter than the hubs of hell in the afternoons. I decided to make a shrimp Louie with a base of romaine lettuce and avocado slices and a Crab Louie dressing. It was delicious and practically no after dinner clean up which was a real bonus in this heat.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

image.thumb.jpeg.f2449a87be6cd3c21b80ac917321e0a3.jpeg//

24-Hour Sousvide Iberico Pork (Shio Koji Marinaded)
Buttered Yams

Grilled Red Onions

Sauteed Yam Leaves
Red wine, pork jus

I've been experimenting with shio koji a lot lately. I love it as a tenderizer and a flavor booster in all sauces. SeriousEats has a delicious recipe on it if you're interested. https://www.seriouseats.com/shio-koji-marinade-recipe

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

On 5/11/2024 at 9:47 AM, ElsieD said:

It is John's birthday today and to celebrate, we are trying our a new-to-us offering from a restaurant we like.  The chef started a pickup/delivery service of 7+ course meals when Covid struck.  Included in this dinner is a cocktail and a bottle of wine.  It comes with a video wherein he describes what you need to do to finish preparing each course.  All food is pre-cooked so all that is required are re-heating and plating.  I've watched the video and what I need to do is simple and uncomplicated.  The menu is as follows:

Screenshot_20240511_125041_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20240511_125538_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

On 5/11/2024 at 2:11 PM, ElsieD said:

I'll post pictures either today or tomorrow.  I just went through the video and took some notes as there are a few things included that are not listed on the menu and I'll add them to the description of the plates.  I'm looking forward to this meal.

@ElsieD, I think I missed your thoughts on how this dinner worked out. Any chance you can point me to it?

I started to do this and realized that I didn't know how to insert comments in between the pictures.  And then i forgot about it.  When John gets home he'll show me how to do it and I'll post the pictures.  Thanks for reminding me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I started to do this and realized that I didn't know how to insert comments in between the pictures.  And then i forgot about it.  When John gets home he'll show me how to do it and I'll post the pictures.  Thanks for reminding me.

Easiest is to type, insert picture, type again, insert picture and so on.

If the pictures are inserted all at once, click on the picture, then use the right arrow key on the keyboard to get the cursor to the right of the picture, press Enter and type.

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Easiest is to type, insert picture, type again, insert picture and so on.

If the pictures are inserted all at once, click on the picture, then use the right arrow key on the keyboard to get the cursor to the right of the picture, press Enter and type.

Thank you!  Can you also tell me how to shrink the pictures?

Edited to add:  I figured it out, or rather, John did.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

About our dinner - there were parts that we liked, other parts not so much.  Everything you needed came in the package, including cooking oil and salt.  I needed nothing from my own pantry.  The descriptions for the dishes I have taken from the menu card provided.  My language isn't usually that descriptive.

We started with a cocktail chef called Lola the Showgirl.  It contained creme de cassis, vodka, lemon juice and sparkling water.  John liked it, I found it too sweet for a before dinner drink.  We also received a bottle of Pinot Noir from Argentina.

The appetizer consisted of crispy mozzarella arancini with spiced firelli black truffle dipper along with a 3 minute runny egg slammer with Portuguese piri piri sauce.  We liked this.

20240511_181110.thumb.jpg.b7f048617e32d91cbd85356bfd2b272a.jpg

first course was an asparagus + emmental tartlette with honey balsamic glaze.  We liked this but it could have used more bake time as the pastry wasn't as crispy as we would have liked.

20240511_184014.thumb.jpg.25cac910705f7c6819635120a19c70cb.jpg

Next up was a tempura fried shrimp cocktail with sea asparagus + pickled napa cabbage toss and shichimi spiced mary-rose lick.  Yum.20240511_191337.thumb.jpg.06e114bc00096ac27a2015d0343c5cf6.jpg

Followed by potato cheddar dill soup with pickled shallots +mussels and toasted brioche crumble.  This was good, not great.20240512_122924.thumb.jpg.7e7e77f57969adb8c3ee3a0a03955364.jpg

course #4 was called Dark and Stormy pork belly, served with a Millcreek Farms pea & sunchoke hash.  This would have been better had the belly been tender.

20240512_184142.thumb.jpg.826017b0fcaed54998e3e21ce28fbee3.jpg

i'm starting to get full....

no. 5 is Cherry wood smoked duck confit tostada with toasted onion + "raja" salsa verde.  This was fantastic.20240512_131130.thumb.jpg.80fa1bee96867aa78ac66e8499c40d17.jpg

Finally, the main course:   P.E.I. 30 day aged beef striploin served with dauphinoise potatoes, pecorino asparagus, garlic confit and horseradish redux.  I particularly liked the asparagus.

20240512_191130.jpg.f14d524bf524c7a838d5cb41e025bd05.jpg

Last but not least - dessert which was a strawberry and rhubarb crumble with honey bourbon Paco jet ice cream.  A fine dessert, especially for the rhubarb lovers out there.

20240511_200013.thumb.jpg.fa099e3e806b6c35f0b56ce6d2a64d18.jpg

Overall, we enjoyed the experience.  But, I found there was more to do preparation wise than I had expected.  There was a lot of food, more than we could eat at one sitting.  I would consider doing this again if he offered a package with fewer courses.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Delicious 4

Thanks for taking the time to share your photos and thoughts, @ElsieD.  I'm glad it was enjoyable overall.  Everything sounds delicious but does look like a lot of food!  When I looked at the menu, in addition to thinking how many plates and sets of cutlery would be needed, I was wondering if you'd have everything in one dinner or split it up over two evenings or a dinner and a brunch. I suppose it would be hard to do that without knowing which things might be best to pair together. Still, seems like a fun treat!

• Like 3

Coho salmon and long bean gkaprow with bird chiles, long red chiles, shallot, Thai basil, cilantro, fish sauce, black soy sauce, and white pepper. Spicy! Microwave quinoa and brown rice to go with.

Cucumber salad with white vinegar, lime juice, sugar, shallot, and sliced chile serrano. Salt rather than fish sauce gives this version a very clean taste.

Salmon_grapao_202405.thumb.jpg.ef1b3c3cc2d65ca42e714f88b3e37eb5.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2