• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Pork sausages and du puy lentils cooked in the oven with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, pancetta, bay leaves and chicken broth. Served with an herb relish made with parsley, basil, chive, mint, lemon juice, garlic, capers, dijon mustard and olive oil

IMG_9229.thumb.jpeg.c724ca6a6f38a91258dfd937c281efd4.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Snacks for dinner

Spicy bresoala, Gonçalves sardinhas en azeita, Balfour farm Haymaker cheddar, cornichons, Croation fig spread, and Proshoot

IMG_20240424_174700134_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 8

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

1 hour ago, johnnyd said:

Snacks for dinner

Spicy bresoala, Gonçalves sardinhas en azeita, Balfour farm Haymaker cheddar, cornichons, Croation fig spread, and Proshoot

IMG_20240424_174700134_HDR~2.jpg

My favorite type of dinner! Gorgeous @johnnyd

• Like 2

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

Just now, Okanagancook said:

Elk is such a wonderfully tasty meat.  Did you bag it yourself?  

Partner got 2 elk last fall. 

• Like 1

The rub I just posted on the tri tip question would be really good on your elk too.

Next time you take a photo maybe a shot of the inside would just send us over the moon.😆

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

The rub I just posted on the tri tip question would be really good on your elk too.

Next time you take a photo maybe a shot of the inside would just send us over the moon.😆

I'll go find that post.   This time i used Kinder woodfired garlic on it. I'm a fan of just s&p, partner prefers a bit more oomph. 

• Like 1

The rub does have some spice elements with the three different types of peppercorns, mustard seeds and the ancho all of which might be a good fit for both of you.

• Like 1

Thai-Italian fusion (which actually worked nicely) - Chard-Curry-Lasagna - chard leaves and stalks sautéed with onion, garlic, ginger, diced tomatoes and red Thai curry paste. In addition, a béchamel sauce made with flour, milk, heavy cream and red Thai curry paste. The lasagna was topped with chopped cashew nuts and parmesan

IMG_9231.thumb.jpeg.7effb21d060ad8b13231d88e30eddd37.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Had been planning for Chicken Enchilada since we got disappointing take out from a local Mexican.
I didn't make the sauce. We have a local Mexican / Latin grocery store that is well stocked.
I might have to make my own sauce next time as the can was $6.99.

However, we enjoyed supper with suateed bell peppers, mushrooms on top of the enchiladas and under the cheese.
Sides were Cilantro Lime rice (Tilda packaged ready to warm in the oven), steamed green beans, and guacamole.

ChickenEnchilada4443.jpg.3fc6e5f29974e7b4d0e4a5b8be775de5.jpg      

ChickenEnchilada4450.jpg.6b423f3646825fa73b9047a940d67b02.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

31 minutes ago, Dejah said:

might have to make my own sauce next time as the can was $6.99.

This is the recipe for enchilada sauce that I have used for years. Although the recipe calls for making it in a skillet, I often make it in the microwave. If you don't have the New Mexican chili powder, any good chili powder will work. I also sometimes add sour cream to it for a richer flavor.

Ten Minute Enchilada Sauce

A super speedy enchilada sauce with a truly authentic taste.

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 tablespoons flour

1/4 cup New Mexico or California chili powder

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1-1/2 cups water

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion salt

salt to taste

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.

Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

This is the recipe for enchilada sauce that I have used for years. Although the recipe calls for making it in a skillet, I often make it in the microwave. If you don't have the New Mexican chili powder, any good chili powder will work. I also sometimes add sour cream to it for a richer flavor.

Ten Minute Enchilada Sauce

A super speedy enchilada sauce with a truly authentic taste.

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 tablespoons flour

1/4 cup New Mexico or California chili powder

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1-1/2 cups water

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion salt

salt to taste

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.

Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.

I make a very similar recipe - the cost saving over buying the canned sauce is phenominal!

• Like 3

Thanks for the Enchilada sauce recipe, @Tropicalsenior!
Saved onto my files!

Made a Weight Watchers Bouillabaisse for supper. Didn't have crusty bread, so we used paratha. We used a spoon to slurp up the amazing broth!

Bouillabaisse4454.jpg.91c83f01a40fffcb36b8b68dc8ca9223.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Still trying to get the hang of cooking for one. A friend foraged some wild onions and shared with me. I roasted some with some tomatoes that needed to be used. Then used that with some ham (also on last legs), a tortilla, eggs and odds and ends of cheeses that were over-staying their welcome.

Not pretty, but it was tasty and got a few things used instead of tossing them.

image.thumb.png.1403a1e386c44457a72831ad8a4f8792.png

image.thumb.png.9a50575db5ac942cc091ec72938b5791.png

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

_20240426211826.thumb.jpg.92f819ea107edb447d8dcfa7ded52b6c.jpg

Chicken liver and matsutake fried noodles*. Also contained garlic, ginger, chilli, Chaoshan fish sauce, soy sauce, coriander leaf and Chinese chives.

*Fresh hand-pulled noodles. I know they were fresh and hand pulled because I saw them being made when I was in the local noodle shack this morning . They aren't on their menu but I pleaded insanity again and scored some to take home to make this dish. They know me well.

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Maison Rustique

a secret benefit of cooking for one

is planned leftovers.

some of the things I cook are good for several days after

on purposes.

that goes for shopping also

I buy 2 packs of Capari tomatoes from TJ's

that's 4 days worth of tomatoes when I start in on a pack.

etc.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

_20240426211826.thumb.jpg.92f819ea107edb447d8dcfa7ded52b6c.jpg

Chicken liver and matsutake fried noodles*. Also contained garlic, ginger, chilli, Chaoshan fish sauce, soy sauce, coriander leaf and Chinese chives.

*Fresh hand-pulled noodles. I know they were fresh and hand pulled because I saw them being made when I was in the local noodle shack this morning . They aren't on their menu but I pleaded insanity again and scored some to take home to make this dish. They know me well.

How do you cook the fresh noodles?  Do you boil/drain then add to the stir fry or stir fry directly?  Do you need to do anything to keep them from sticking in the wok?

17 minutes ago, KennethT said:

How do you cook the fresh noodles?  Do you boil/drain then add to the stir fry or stir fry directly?  Do you need to do anything to keep them from sticking in the wok?

I boil the noodles for one minute, drain then fry. The other stuff is fried first until almost done and then I add the boiled noodles. They have never stuck in th hundreds of times I've done something similar.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Grilled chicken, marinated with a paste of cilantro, garlic, black pepper, and fish sauce. Served with a dipping sauce of simmered-down rice vinegar and sugar, mashed garlic, and Aleppo pepper flakes. No pic of the finished products but here is the chicken on the grill.

IMG_7847.thumb.jpg.92e8c83221b9762373be4d2ca1d91949.jpg

Stir-fried broccolini with garlic, fish sauce, and oyster sauce. Cucumber salad with sliced shallots, rice vinegar, sugar, and fish sauce.

Broccolini_cukes_202404-2.thumb.jpg.559540f72e9724ab1ad09aa96ec9a4e3.jpg

Broccolini_cukes_202404-1.thumb.jpg.c6cdfd5dd82467c303eff39e91bcdf74.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

No photos, but I think I did a pretty good stir-fry prawns and veg. I'd say I'm getting it down, but I like the fact that it is never quite the same. Fried the prawns in my Korean chili oil, which gave a light snap, which suits my aging upper digestive system. Pulled them out and added red capsicum and zucchini chunks, along with some rice bran oil to char. Then onion, garlic, ginger, and a few mushrooms that needed to be used up. Oyster sauce (not a great variety but needs to be used up, and vegan fysch sauce, which frankly I like better than fish sauce, so shoot me. I was going to post about it in the fish sauce topic but didn't want people coming at me with pitchforks for being off topic. Finally prawns went back in with some sesame oil.

I think the key is to try to get the zuke charred on the outside but creamy soft inside.

• Like 5

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

2 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Grilled chicken, marinated with a paste of cilantro, garlic, black pepper, and fish sauce. Served with a dipping sauce of simmered-down rice vinegar and sugar, mashed garlic, and Aleppo pepper flakes. No pic of the finished products but here is the chicken on the grill.

IMG_7847.thumb.jpg.92e8c83221b9762373be4d2ca1d91949.jpg

Stir-fried broccolini with garlic, fish sauce, and oyster sauce. Cucumber salad with sliced shallots, rice vinegar, sugar, and fish sauce.

Broccolini_cukes_202404-2.thumb.jpg.559540f72e9724ab1ad09aa96ec9a4e3.jpg

Broccolini_cukes_202404-1.thumb.jpg.c6cdfd5dd82467c303eff39e91bcdf74.jpg

That all looks great. Did the cilantro taste come through after grilling? 

I've taken to smashed cucumber salad. It really seems to integrate the dressing into the cuke and the cuke into the dressing.

• Thanks 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.