• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Me: "You have any plans for dinner?"
Mrs. C : "Nope"
Me: "Uh, I guess I can slap something together"

Shrimp, andouille sausage, leftover pork loin, and zucchini with sauteed onion, garlic, chiles, and tomato paste, deglazed with chicken stock. Microwaved cilantro rice and a baked sweet potato to go with.

Jambalaya_202409.thumb.jpg.ba34cd4c5c39c33fa371d16ef2623d47.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus
Splelnig (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Had a lot of shredded zucchini left after lots of baking. Didn't want to bake anything else so I made Cheesy Zucchini patties. Sauteed shrimp with Vadouvan Curry spices and stir-fried Bok Choy = supper.

ShrimpZukPatties6666.jpg.46955dd54372482151180fa8d273e88b.jpg

I became friends with a gardener on facebook a couple of years ago. She lives in Winnipeg, about 2.5 hours from me. She has sent me special lily bulbs for my flower garden, and this time, she asked to bring them out and plant them for me. In exchange, she was some guidance in doing a versatile veg stir-fry.
So along with gardening chatter, we cooked up 4 dishes. She enjoyed some for supper, then packaged it all up for her to take home, to analyze and to eat for a couple of days. LOL!

We put together Yaki-Udon Noodles, Cantonese Noodles and Mixed Veg, Black Bean Garlic Beef with Bell peppers, and Mushroom Fried Rice that she can ramp up. We also made Wonton Soup for lunch.

MarysDishes6696.jpg.85ff0cdcc3b7ee2f7b9076f199560864.jpg

After my friend left at 9 PM, hubby and I had A & W burger, fries and onion rings for supper!

With leftover vegetables and a chicken breast that we didn't use, I made Chicken and Veg Stir-fry for our supper tonight. Leftover rice became friend rice with diced salted egg yolks.

ChickenMixedVeg6706.jpg.5ae266bd53b64e7fa0ccf1c18142b46b.jpg

FriedRice6708.jpg.99e82155643f80eb69f03617608e68ad.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

19 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Me: "You have any plans for dinner?"
Mrs. C : "Nope"
Me: "Uh, I guess I can slap something together"

Shrimp, andouille sausage, leftover pork loin, and zucchini with sauteed onion, garlic, chiles, and tomato paste, deglazed with chicken stock. Microwaved cilantro rice and a baked sweet potato to go with.

Jambalaya_202409.thumb.jpg.ba34cd4c5c39c33fa371d16ef2623d47.jpg

Very nice slapping!

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2024 at 9:26 PM, haresfur said:

Looks like you are set for Canadian Thanksgiving!

I sure am early enough for it but I live in Kansas. I was planning to try some different ways to cook turkey but the first one turned out so well that I am going with that one.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2

An in progress shot but, it'll be dinner tonight with a dollop of sour cream, biscuits if i get a wild hair....

Not quite white chili- northern beans (that I canned), leftover elk roast, onion, garlic, fire roasted chilis from 505.

20240930_161434.thumb.jpg.f61ff0a5ddbe5ca4ff6e01e92cba8622.jpg

• Like 9

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

Looks like shrimp is a recurring theme on this page. I made a Rick Bayless recipe called Mexico City Shrimp with Chipotle Mojo. We had it with a Mexican style rice, Street Corn Pudding, and store bought cold crab salad image.jpeg.e662744a385b806ef8639f71abc9a755.jpeg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Sorry, I'm breaking the shrimp theme. Maybe I'll be the night's outlier.

I've been pecking away (heh) at a rotisserie chicken I splurged on a day or two ago, so by the time dinner time rolled around I only wanted vegetables. Green beans -- already trimmed several days ago -- and tomatoes demanded to be used. 

20240930_193725.jpg

This was loosely based on a favorite green bean recipe from the Cookie + Kate web site. Brown chopped walnuts or other nuts in a dry wok. Remove them from the pan; throw in the beans and a bit of water; slap the lid on it, cook until the beans are tender-crisp, then remove the lid and let any remaining water boil off. Add a lemon vinaigrette, feta cheese, and in this case the forlorn tomatoes that also needed to go. Stir. Serve. Add the forgotten walnuts, and remember how much good crunch and flavor they add.

Tasty. Crunchy. Got some refrigerated goods out before they went off.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Pork Tenderloin (猪里脊 - zhū lǐ ji), Fresh Straw Mushrooms (草菇 - cǎo gū), “White Skin Chillies* (白皮辣椒 - bái pí là jiāo), Garlic (大蒜 - dà suàn), Garlic Shoots (蒜 苗 - suàn miáo), Flowering Chives (韭菜花 - jiǔ cài huā), Shaoxing Wine (绍兴酒 - shào xīng jiǔ), Soy Sauce (酱油 - jiàng yóu). Served with rice.

* So called “white skin chillies are actually pale green.

_20241001201309.thumb.jpg.f98de7cbcc9fe7c32b350f20d9449266.jpg

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This was my second joongzi making session. I was flying solo this year as one of my partners had moved to London, Ont, and another was away to China.
In total, I made 82.  The first batch of 36 were frozen and flown to my sister and family with my niece who was out visiting.
Yesterday, I made up 46. Half will fly back to Nfld with my son who flew into his Wpg office for meetings then to our house next week. My 11 year old granddaughter loves joong.
We taste-tested a couple for supper last night, along with a simple bok choy soup. It was a great way to end the month of September!
And THAT was a WRAP for 2024!

The last 22 cooling after being boiled for 2.5 hours. They have been bagged and in the fridge before going into the freezer.

JoongCooling6727.jpg.b7dfc1a8d8359427d5a699f70a3c0481.jpg

Supper was easy after the wrapping session!

JoongSoup6731.jpg.30501cacf91d5f72e6b177368451b0c9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Here are the 'white-skinned' chillies referred to in my previous post. They are approx 7.5 cm / 3 inches long and I'd say medium hot, although the odd one might shock the unsuspecting..

whitechillies.thumb.jpg.5a2557a9f59e9902cc5842b861b2863e.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto