• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

On 9/17/2024 at 9:10 AM, Paul Bacino said:

Here is a weird question,  who puts potato salad in their Gumbo?  My  Cajun  ( Louisiana ) friend said it is bomb ? Stirs it in

I just saw this on some cooking show

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dante said:

I finally made Heston Blumenthal's chili recipe (minus the cornbread and sour cream ice cream,and swapping out one of the chile powders from the blend)

How was it! (yours looks better than many of the pictures of it I've seen online)

Edited by AAQuesada (log)

7 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

@Tempest63  That looks and sounds delicious. I need to hunt for a recipe.

The base recipe I cooked this from was in Delicious magazine

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/panissa-piedmontese-rice-and-beans/

I only had 150g of a soft salami so fried off 100g of pancetta and once the pieces were taking on a little colour I took them out of the pan, adding them back at the same time as the chopped salami. this is another recipe you need to be mindful of the amount of salt, especially using the pancetta. I didn't need to add any salt late in the recipe at tasting stage.

There are various recipes about for this dish, some with pancetta and some without. Some use tomatoes, as opposed to purée only in this recipe.

The traditional salami is a soft “della deju” preserved in a layer of lard and the wine is a barbera d’asti, neither of which I could find locally.

You can compare the recipe I used with one from Jamie Oliver 

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/jamie-olivers-panissa-rice/#:~:text=Method,or until soft%2C stirring regularly.

Great British chefs also have a version by the Costardi Brothers which requires soaking and cooking of the beans. I prefer quick and easy sometimes.

https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/recipes/panissa-recipe

• Thanks 1

Masak Lemak - Malaysian-Style Chicken and Coconut Curry - You first make a curry paste out of shallots, lemon grass, fresno chilies, garlic, oil and turmeric before cooking it with chicken thighs, potatoes and green beans in coconut milk and coconut cream. Finished with some quickly pickled shallots in lime juice and cilantro. Served over jasmine rice.

IMG_0659.thumb.jpeg.0e48faef20def6899c3a7e6ac40a0e74.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Busy day today. Working from home as I had an online course to attend. 
I got some meat out of the freezer to knock up a few dishes and thought I would turn some short ribs into a Ragu. 
These two little fellas weighed a touch under two kilos.

IMG_5487.thumb.jpeg.61bdfc0966c69b52548ed53216134563.jpeg

I had it in the oven on a low heat (160C) for three and a half hours. After which the meat was falling apart.

IMG_5489.thumb.jpeg.4c0f847c5379cdb57c655fdcd3db896c.jpeg

I removed all the fat, gristle and bone and shredded the meat and was left with this.

IMG_5491.thumb.jpeg.a7c4aeb795da8631ab8b33eb420d5b08.jpeg

We split it into two large pots for future use in a couple of Lasagne’s, and a smaller pot for serving with pasta.

I also got out a 1K bag of goat meat from our local butcher. Very disappointing as it was primarily bone and gristle with very little meat. I have been cooking Indian and Caribbean goat recipes for many years and have never encountered such disproportionate amounts of bone in a bag. Ordinarily I buy a boned out leg , with the bones sawed through. I make a rich stock out of the bones and use the best meat in the dish. The dish looked good and tasted good, but after two and a half hours the meat was still very tough.

IMG_5493.thumb.jpeg.71f0d3911275648f2676a8fe8c2694e1.jpeg

Finally, in preparation for this coming Saturday’s Tapas and Paella day, I did a dry run with a seafood paella for our evening meal.

IMG_5495.jpeg.31a92eccb882b3877cc72c0e8a3384aa.jpeg

Quite a fruit-full day in the kitchen considering I had to balance work and training with it.

Edited by Tempest63 (log)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

With a tropical storm possibly nearing close to us, I pulled out a fillet of red grouper from the freezer.  It was a big sucker.  Wife said cook it it all against my my better judgment but I have found that it’s better to just say “yes honey”

hopefully a lot of fish salad will be in my up coming future 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

With a tropical storm possibly nearing close to us, I pulled out a fillet of red grouper from the freezer.  It was a big sucker.  Wife said cook it it all against my my better judgment but I have found that it’s better to just say “yes honey”

hopefully a lot of fish salad will be in my up coming future 

Maybe fish cakes, too

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Pressure Cooker Dal Makhani from “Modern Pressure Cooking” by Phipps - Black urad is first briefly pressure soaked before cooked with garlic, ginger, tomato paste, cinnamon stick, black cardamom pods, turmeric, cumin, fenugreek and sirarakhong chili. Finished with some butter, cream and cilantro and served with some caramelized onions.

IMG_0660.thumb.jpeg.4bb04ae135b4e8c0d6167a8c2aec3f61.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

39 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Chicken biryani 

IMG-20240924-WA0001.thumb.jpg.81af42ddfd2040c929cbff73d1b0f706.jpg

I used the recipe in Dishoom, although the eggs and the cashews are not in that book.

IMG-20240924-WA00052.thumb.jpg.987e769de80c70eb589ac4b9eb60878b.jpg

Friends I haven't seen since before Covid came over, so it was a lovely weekend.

A trip to Dishoom is seriously overdue.

The Shoreditch restaurant is close to work and very handy for Liverpool Street Station and home.

• Like 2

But of a theme going on here. I initially posted this recipe using meatballs made from sausages with the skins removed. I tried it again tonight with fresh lamb meatballs from Waitrose, a UK supermarket. I baked the meatballs on Sunday and reheated them in the sauce tonight with macaroni and beans.

Mrs T63 preferred the sausage meatballs as she said they had more flavour, but agreed that if I had made  the meatballs they would likely be much tastier.

But overall it is a good recipe to use as a base for experimenting with different ingredients.

IMG_5499.jpeg.012c4c4c1bd52acf50f623738a922389.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Thai Coconut Grilled Pork Tenderloin. Tenderloin was in marinade (coconut milk, spices, fish sauce, and peanut butter) overnight then grilled in cast iron pan on stove. It was pouring rain when it was time to grill! House smelled wonderful.
                                                                                   ThaiCoconutGrilledPorkTenderloin6592.jpg.21f9f6a342fea83d1cd267e9b61579ec.jpg

ThaiCoconutPorkTenderloinplated6595.jpg.d35df5c1476809ee6498b1f6cb7827fd.jpg

Roast chicken with West Africa Citrus Spice.  Golden Boy tomatoes were delicious!  

W.AfricanCitrusroastchicke3n6651.jpg.408a06947f7e8bf3fed61c50fbab71ed.jpg

Along with the gift of the golden tomatoes, I also received 3 huge zucchinis! Used up half of one last night and made Lemon Zucchini Almond loaves. Had a lovely warm slice for dessert with tea.           

LemjonZuchinniAlmondloaves6655.jpg.31c929efd0ef953ad849434b88016e4e.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Gai yang: chicken thighs baked and then grilled. Marinade included ginger, garlic, coconut milk, fish sauce, soy sauce, white pepper, and Bourbon.

Mrs. C steamed broccoli and doctored up pre-made sweet potatoes with Indian spices and yogurt, served with air-fried pistachios.

Since the Bourbon was in the kitchen anyway, we accompanied dinner with perfect Manhattans. 😃

Gai_yang_202409.thumb.jpg.01c5f923547ff2a6d7d757c69c971387.jpg

• Like 9

I've had a houseful of guests for the last nearly 2 weeks, with far too much food being purchased. After most of the group left, my sister and I went touring and sightseeing, occasionally dining out and usually bringing home leftovers. Now that everyone's gone, I'm gamely trying to whittle away at the refrigerator stock before it goes off.

Tonight's dinner: a Vietnamese spicy shrimp coconut curry with rice. The rice and curry were packaged separately. I microwaved the rice first with a bit of water until it was getting hot, then added the curry and reheated it all. It has a spicy kick to it: partly from the yellow curry and partly from the peppers used, I'm told. It was all too spicy for my sister. In addition to the shrimp there are potatoes, broccoli, water chestnuts (delicious crunch) and bell peppers and some sort of red pepper.

(Pardon the presentation, but it's either this candid shot or none at all.)

20240925_185110.jpg

Interestingly enough, the wasabi sauce from yet another meal out actually helps tame the heat and smooth out the dish! 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

Since the Bourbon was in the kitchen anyway, we accompanied dinner with perfect Manhattans. 😃

I like the way you think!  😄

My husband used to love Manhattans but disliked maraschino cherries. I used to think about making a better cherry for garnish, like this Brandied Cocktail Cherry. But then he discovered those Trader Joe's Morello cherries, which he really did like. I think they have been discontinued now. 

Do you have a perfect garnish for your Manhattans? I think I'd go with orange peel these days if I made one. 

• Like 2