• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outdoor kitchen - cabinets that are mouse proof?

Deephaven

We live in the woods.  Plenty of mice living in my yard and I'd like to keep them out of my cabinets.  Mostly going to store charcoal, grill tools and such so it isn't the end of the world but since I am designing a new outdoor space I'd prefer to make sure I don't generally have to worry about mice.  I realize keeping all food out of them is the biggest key, but wondering if anyone has found some weather ok cabinets that will keep out the rodents?

Photo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I would look for a cupboard that has pressure fasteners so the little mice can’t riggle in.

I had a very open style kitchen outdoors and always spent the first few weeks in spring trapping mice.  I hated that.  Poor little creatures.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 2

@sartoric may have some insights for you. I have none, but hope you'll post about your experiences.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Mices can get in through the smallest gaps. I once saw one wriggle in to my house in Hunan through a firmly, so I thought, closed window. He or she attempted to leave abruptly though when Nora Mao, my cat took issue with its presence and had it for breakfast.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, Deephaven said:

How about how they seal?

we had a summer 'cottage' which became invaded every fall after it was closed up.

my dad lined the cabinets with aluminum - including a "flange" from the sides that extended over the 'sealing' area - with a narrow strip where the doors met the carcass.  I'm sure the hinges had to be "reset" but I didn't get in on that part.

• Thanks 1

Office furniture suppliers.

They have wall hung metal storage cabinets of all shapes and capacities.

You maybe able also to find non-ventilated locker room metal cabinets. 

Mice, racoon proof. 

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

27 minutes ago, gfweb said:

We have big plastic containers  with tight lids for outside.

Oh no. When I was breeding birds and had lots o seed stored - they chew right through plastic - then trp thmselves inside cuz can;t climb up slippery side. Not pretty. bRats are even more agressive.

18 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh no. When I was breeding birds and had lots o seed stored - they chew right through plastic - then trp thmselves inside cuz can;t climb up slippery side. Not pretty. bRats are even more agressive.

never a problem in 30 years

20 minutes ago, gfweb said:

never a problem in 30 years

Count your blessings. As I look across canyon at huge outdoor kitchen the evil neighbor constructed -gives me pleasure to think he may have to deal with the little critters.

• Haha 1

My biggest invader in my outdoor kitchen cabinets is black widow spiders.   My outdoor kitchen consists of this setup for workspace and storage.   

I've had really good luck with using Vittles Vault storing birdseed and other animal food.   The local javelinas have tried and so far failed to breach these containers.  They push them several feet and try to chew through.   Javelinas are brutal to landscaping and other edible targets.

• Thanks 2