• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to grate Parmigiano Reggiano in a food processor?

lindag

21 minutes ago, lindag said:

Can anyone here tell me how best to grate (no grind) parmesan in the FP?

Is is possible?

Mine has a shredding disc …

And I never use it, because with a box grater or a microplane (for hard cheeses) I am faster, considering build-up & cleaning 🤗

• Like 1

Yeah, I have several grating disks but I'm not sure if it's wise (given how hard the cheese is) or if it yields the right texture.

Ina Garten grinds hers in  the Cuisiinart and I generally take my cues from her.

@lindag 

the larger cuisine's come w a grating disk 

I think the little mini's do not .  

your PR should only really be hard near the surface 

depending on how long you've had it , that can get pretty hard.

the cuicinart should have no problem w the non surface 

might even do well w the ' rind ' depending.

I broke the spindle on my first food processor, trying to grate a hard cheese. I think it was parmesan, but it's been years. The food processor was inexpensive (and all I could afford then). I'm very careful to apply only light pressure on the rare occasions I grate hard cheese in my Cuisinart. Unless I need a huge amount, I generally grate by hand.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy 

pressure on the cheese while processing is an excellent point.

and how sharp the granting disk is 

ie how often have you used the disk will give you and idea of sharpness 

and how you have stored the disk might effect sharpness.

• Thanks 2

Food processors are my tool of last resort.    I detest cleaning them and resent having to pull from and replace in cabinet storage.  

I rely on a clamp-on-the-counter hand-cranked grater that lives installed in my pantry.    FAST, effortless, breaks down into only two parts for washing.    $4 at a PA flea market.   It "shreds" into fine 1/3 inch shards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Can anyone here tell me how best to grate (no grind) parmesan in the FP?

Is is possible?

What will you be using the cheese for? Or, fussy, fusty grammarians: For what will you be using the cheese?

Edited by Alex
to reword (log)
  • Haha 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Sometimes I leave parmesan in the fridge for a long long time. DH cannot grind it on a hand grater.

I have a Cuisinart Custom 11 which was purchased in the early 1990s with a ton of blades and attachments.

The work bowl is softer plastic than the rest of the processor, and I eventually destroyed two workbowls (where the eyes snap the workbowl to the base) in trying to grate or chop the cheese.

Unfortunately it is no longer possible to buy a new workbowl from Cuisinart, so I bought one from China via Amazon. The workbowl doesn't fit properly when new, and none of the old assembly parts fit either, so I had to buy new assembly parts to fit the new workbowl (several hundred dollars). Also I think the plastic for the new workbowl is softer than the original workbowl. In any event, it took next to no time before the eyes on that workbowl had enlarged too.

So now I have lots of parts for the Cuisinart Custom 11 but it's unusable.

I'm trying to gather the courage to find a new food processor, or at least a new solution for really hard cheese. @weinooconvinced me to buy a Moulinex Mouli-Julie which works well on cheese which is not really hard.

Any ideas?

P.S. When I solve the food processor problem I will give away the parts for the Custom 11; PM me if you'd like me to let you know when I get that far.

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I have several grating disks but I'm not sure if it's wise (given how hard the cheese is) or if it yields the right texture.

Along the lines of @Alex's query above, what is the texture you are going for?   (I'm not rewording 🙃)

If you were to use a box grater, which size hole would you choose for this purpose?

Sometimes I want parm as fine as a dusting of snow, sometimes I want thin shavings, sometimes thicker shreds. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I'm trying to gather the courage to find a new food processor, or at least a new solution for really hard cheese. @weinooconvinced me to buy a Moulinex Mouli-Julie which works well on cheese which is not really hard.

I don't think you need a new processor. I'd say that maybe you ought not let the parmesan get "really hard." That said, I've never had a problem with any of the hard grating cheeses using the Mouli.

However, I ofter just use one of these...https://www.microplane.com/select-series-starter-kitchen-set-with-microplane-zester

I have a old microplane which has interchangeable blades; one fine, and one  not fine...I think the key is not to press too hard when grating!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

46 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

I grate multiple variations of hard cheese using the Kitchen Aid attachment.

Is this Kitchen Aid attachment for a Kitchen Aid stand mixer or a Kitchen Aid food processor?  

I have one of each. 

52 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I've never had a problem with any of the hard grating cheeses using the Mouli.

Ditto that here.  

52 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Same, though I have this series of microplanes

• Like 1

I must be from the precambrian era. I still grate mine on the box grater, on the second smallest hole. That way I can control by pressure how thick or how feathery my cheese gets. Works equally well with "fresh" hard cheese as it does with the hard leftover ends. Usually we use only enough of a flurry for two portions of pasta, or maybe a half cup at most, so I can see how you might want an assist for large quantities. For reasons mysterious to myself I don't use a microplane for cheese.

• Like 1

Coincidence that I just took parmesan out of the refrigerator to grate for tonight's dinner.  I use a box grater for a small amount.  However a few years ago @andiesenji convinced me to get the Cuisinart parmesan disc for my food processor.  If I were using the food processor the parmesan disc is the only way I'd do it.  Any other disc is asking for an accident.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

29 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Coincidence that I just took parmesan out of the refrigerator to grate for tonight's dinner.  I use a box grater for a small amount.  However a few years ago @andiesenji convinced me to get the Cuisinart parmesan disc for my food processor.  If I were using the food processor the parmesan disc is the only way I'd do it.  Any other disc is asking for an accident.

Now that you mention it, I think that's what I have -- and who gave me the idea. I'm still careful about the pressure I apply, though. As often as not I'll use either my box grater or my Moulinex. The parmesan disc makes very fine shavings, and that may not be the texture @lindag is after.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

15 hours ago, Alex said:

What will you be using the cheese for? Or, fussy, fusty grammarians: For what will you be using the cheese?

Actually, I have a large wedge of PR residing in the fridge for far too long that like to grate up before it becomes concrete.

I'm pretty sure I own the fine disc that @JoNorvelleWalkermentioned upthread.

The consistency I'm after would be like that which @blue_dolphin described as 'feathery'.  I'll see if I can find that grating disc and do a test drive.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, lindag said:

Actually, I have a large wedge of PR residing in the fridge for far too long that like to grate up before it becomes concrete.

I'm pretty sure I own the fine disc that @JoNorvelleWalkermentioned upthread.

The consistency I'm after would be like that which @blue_dolphin described as 'feathery'.  I'll see if I can find that grating disc and do a test drive.

Be patient, and press lightly! And let us know how it goes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, weinoo said:

There's also this tip from marcella, when the Parmigiano in your fridge seems to be a little bit too hard...

Thanks SO much for sharing this!  I will immediately wrap up my PR and let it soften for a couple of days.