• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dull food-processor blade options

Shel_B

I have an old Cuisinart Classic processor and the blade is kind of dull.  I've been looking for a replacement (DLC 10) and can't seem to find a new one.  There are some that claim to be that model, but they don't look like mine. Hence, the subject question.

• Like 1

... Shel

Posted (edited)

Yes, I checked eBay, and thus far all I could find were used blades.  Cuisinart doesn't show them on their site, either.

Bladetop.jpg.f9f8c6c680c06e23d3555dea85b52a20.jpg

BladeUnderside.jpg.4cb16ce8e6bc8bda46b4b3b927c32e62.jpg

BladeSide.jpg.cb758422507fa0133c350fb539d485cd.jpg

Edited by Shel_B
Spelling typo (log)

... Shel

From your photos, I think your blade was one that was covered by the infamous recall.  Cuisinart should be happy to comp you a new one of the new design, even at this late date.

To answer your question more directly, yes, a competent sharpener could resharpen.  However: (a) you would lose the very small serrations; and (b) it might create or propagate cracks (the subject of the recall).  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Laurentius said:

From your photos, I think your blade was one that was covered by the infamous recall.  Cuisinart should be happy to comp you a new one of the new design, even at this late date.

Would you be kind enough to explain the infamous recall? I know nothing about it and, until this moment, never heard of it.

Added: I did a Google search and found the information. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Shel_B
Additional information (log)

... Shel

22 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Yes, I checked eBay, and thus far all I could find were used blades.  Cuisinart doesn't show them on their site, either.

Bladetop.jpg.f9f8c6c680c06e23d3555dea85b52a20.jpg

BladeUnderside.jpg.4cb16ce8e6bc8bda46b4b3b927c32e62.jpg

BladeSide.jpg.cb758422507fa0133c350fb539d485cd.jpg

This looks like my blade, but I have a Cuisinart Custom 11. Not broken yet, even though I regularly destroy plastic workbowls with hard cheese. 😒

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

This looks like my blade, but I have a Cuisinart Custom 11. Not broken yet, even though I regularly destroy plastic workbowls with hard cheese. 😒

Could you post a pic of your machine, or post a link to an online image?

... Shel

17 hours ago, TdeV said:

OK, @Laurentius, I will work on replacing the whole machine (since I can't find any "working" plastic workbowls anyway).

5 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Baby, meet bathwater?  Just be careful and accept/manage the risk.

What risk is there in replacing the whole machine?

... Shel

30 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

My thoughts exactly

p

I do have a gazillion blades + accessories for this machine.

I admit, though, that since purchasing the machine in the 1990s, I've only used a few accessories/blades a few times. ☺️

On 4/5/2024 at 12:36 AM, Shel_B said:

Possible monetary waste.  Feeding the refuse stream, refamiliarizing with controls or attachments, storage/clearance, etc.  But if your machine is shot, go for it.

2 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Possible monetary waste.  Feeding the refuse stream, refamiliarizing with controls or attachments, storage/clearance, etc.  But if your machine is shot, go for it.

With my device, it's the plastic workbowl that's the problem, not the blades or the machine. Cuisinart no longer controls the manufacture of the workbowl, so it's now made of substandard plastic, and does not fit with existing parts (lid, chute, etc). I posted in this thread because @Shel_B's blade had broken.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, TdeV said:

With my device, it's the plastic workbowl that's the problem, not the blades or the machine. Cuisinart no longer controls the manufacture of the workbowl, so it's now made of substandard plastic, and does not fit with existing parts (lid, chute, etc). I posted in this thread because @Shel_B's blade had broken.

@TdeV, are you referring to the quality of replacement bowls or all bowls, including the ones that come with new machines?

While I'm toying with the idea of getting a new machine, every time I use my current machine (20+ years old?) I take great pleasure in the quality feel that it has. I'd hate to lose that.

A minor correction to your comment: my blade hasn't broken but it seems to have dulled over time.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

8 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

@TdeV, are you referring to the quality of replacement bowls or all bowls, including the ones that come with new machines?

While I'm toying with the idea of getting a new machine, every time I use my current machine (20+ years old?) I take great pleasure in the quality feel that it has. I'd hate to lose that.

Shel_B, I don't have any experience with new Cuisinart appliances.

For quite some time I've had a bad habit of trying to grind up very hard parmesan (for pizza). Over the years I've replaced the workbowl of my Cuisinart Custom 11 (originally purchased early 90s) maybe 5 or 6 times.

For the last 2-3 times, the work bowl for this machine has no longer been available from the Cuisinart website. This has resulted in my having to ALSO purchase other parts that will fit with the new workbowl (e.g. Feed Tube). A new workbowl and other parts were purchased from Amazon and shipped from China. As I said previously, the quality of plastic is such that, even considering that I've tried NOT to grind up very hard parmesan anymore, it takes very little time until the workbowl wears so that it no longer connects properly to the base engine.

Frustrating.

Periodically when visiting stores, I have gone to look at new Cusinart food processors. I don't like how flimsy these machines look up close. So far no deal.

(Aside: I did purchase a plastic bowl which would attach to the grinding end when I purchased my Bamix immersion blender but have never actually used the blender to grind cheese. Although I find the Bamix very satisfactory for making soup and mayonnaise).

I share your appreciation for the quality feel of good appliances.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Shel_B, I don't have any experience with new Cuisinart appliances.

[...]

Periodically when visiting stores, I have gone to look at new Cusinart food processors. I don't like how flimsy these machines look up close. So far no deal.

[...]

I share your appreciation for the quality feel of good appliances.

It seems that a number of cognoscenti  believe (and can at least somewhat substantiate) that the older machines were better engineered and better built. That's in great part why I want a blade rather than a new machine.  Even if the blade is of less than stellar quality, I can buy a couple-three for less than the cost of a new machine and keep my baby on the road another decade or more. I'm going to get one of the blades that was mentioned in this thread. It's already in my shopping cart.

Turns out that my machine is from the '80s, so it's about forty years old.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel