• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Himalayan Pink Salt with Garlic and Black Pepper

lindag

I'll be curious to see what you think. Amazon says they're now temporarily out. You must have started something!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I wanted to know what was in it and this is from their web site:

Dehydrated vegetables (garlic, onion, red bell pepper), Himalayan pink salt, sea salt, black pepper, dehydrated lemon zest, parsley, high oleic sunflower oil, garlic oil

Fellow Canadians: Amazon.ca sells it and has it in stock.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 3

I must admit that I think Himalayan Pink Salt is a bit of a con trick. For a start, it isn't even from the Himalayas but nearby.

It tastes exactly the same as any rock salt you can buy at a tenth of the price. The pinkness comes from impurities. Looks pretty, but that's all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I must admit that I think Himalayan Pink Salt is a bit of a con trick

I've been saying that for years. I know a couple here that were importing it and selling it. They were even promoting it for the it's health benefit.

25 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I've been saying that for years. I know a couple here that were importing it and selling it. They were even promoting it for the it's health benefit.

That one always amuses me greatly. If you're consuming enough of it for the trace minerals to matter, you're eating WAY too much salt. I've also seen a food blogger extolling it as "the purest salt you can buy," and then rhapsodizing in the very next sentence about its high levels of trace minerals. Uh, gee... you mean "impurities"? Seriously, how do these people manage to tie their own shoes?

That being said, I buy the stuff anyway just because it looks good in my white salt pig. :P

• Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

57 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Another reason for me not to buy it. I have a brown salt Pig and it just wouldn't look the same as the nice white sea salt.

LOL Smoked salt might give an interesting two-tone effect, I suppose, but how much of that does one use?

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I must admit that I think Himalayan Pink Salt is a bit of a con trick. For a start, it isn't even from the Himalayas but nearby.

It tastes exactly the same as any rock salt you can buy at a tenth of the price. The pinkness comes from impurities. Looks pretty, but that's all.

Agree. Pure table salt is a very good seasoning for all animals. The so called Himalayan pink salt tastes exactly as regular table salt.

dcarch

Himalayan salt has always seemed like a scam to me, selling it as healthy because it has iodine and regular table salt has added iodine. In the end I think it's because of the pink color, something different... so I wonder how much fake salt they sell like Himalayan pink?

As a bell pepper cringer I was more worried about that ingredient. It is sold as a multi purpose seasoning blend so maybe it works in that lane.  The pink stuff was probaby an added attempt to attract attention - ya know "exotic". I grew up with Lawry's seasoning salt and Lemon Pepper  as the only such adds. I've never looked at the mgredents - maybe best left to nostalgia taste memory rather than analysis. 

I broke down and ordered a bottle @ Amazon.CA - I tried it on some left over beef Rice a roni - found it predominantly salty, but other notes as well

btw I did the Rice a roni from scratch in my Zoh rice cooker and did not brown the vermicelli first - used white rice, harder setting- anyone tried this? any suggestions?

p

• Like 1